The Big Toilet Debate

• June 5, 2012 3:58 PM BST

From a blog I read yesterday:-
    "If you ever want to get an outraged earful from a trans woman, simply go up to her and say, “But, you don’t use the ladies room, right? That would be immoral!” Honestly, I want to smack myself just for having written that. The bathroom issue, as so known, is one of the top 100 issues trans people are a bit prickly about. If you can’t understand why, take advantage of the endless refills at McDonalds and try to imagine not knowing where to pee without risking a beating. The issue has little to do with us just being fussy."

Read the full blog by michellianna at:- http://michellelianna.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/yes-already-i-am-going-to-talk-bathroom-issue/

So where do you stand on this issue (or sit if you are post SRS lol) - should it be a free for all, let anybody use the women's loos, should all trans people be allowed in, or just those who have had the kindest cut of all.

All views welcomed

This post was edited by Former Member at June 5, 2012 4:00 PM BST
  • June 5, 2012 6:05 PM BST
    ......... and remember we are not talking the loos in gay bars/trans clubs, we're talking about the loos in Sainsbury's or M&S here
  • June 5, 2012 7:02 PM BST
    I think if you regard and present yourself as a woman then you should use the Ladies. There's no way I would ever use a Mens room.
    • 214 posts
    June 5, 2012 9:28 PM BST
    no I would never use the mens room when dressed, on the other hand \i would be very nervious of the ladies -- unless it was very quiet -- solution -- carry a bottle in the car lol
    • 146 posts
    June 5, 2012 9:58 PM BST
    Very Much in Agreement with Heather. And just too mention as it happened to me in John Lewis's Loos. - Dont be surprised if you enter the Ladies whilst its quiet ..by the time you have sorted yourself out and emerge from the cubicle door, theres a queue 10 ladies looking at you . ..so Smile somewhat innocently but nevertheless confidently, calmly wash your hands ..make sure you are presentable in the mirror ..and go forth naturally and serenely to shop!
  • June 6, 2012 1:06 PM BST
    I forgot to add that as with many things over the years to live and be accepted as a woman I've had the help of female friends in simple ordinary day things like using the Ladies etc. Which of course was a great help.
  • June 6, 2012 8:30 PM BST

So where do you stand on this issue (or sit if you are post SRS lol) -

a defining characteristic of genuine pre-op TS is a preference for sitting to pee.

• June 6, 2012 8:51 PM BST
    It was a deliberate double entendre Rose - transgender people do have a sense of humour you know, it is not sliced away during SRS or FFS
    • 21 posts
    June 12, 2012 9:55 PM BST
    I live full time as a female and i dont regard myself as male so i always use the ladies toilet.As donna says it is all about smiling innocently and being confident and the more you use the ladies the more cconfident you become.I would never dream of using the mens toilet especially when wearing a dress or skirt as i think that would be inviting unwanted attention.
    • 51 posts
    July 25, 2012 11:23 PM BST
    I always use the ladies and apart from a glare from a woman in the toilets in a cafe in the Peak District (there was only one loo so perhaps she was desperate for a pee) I've never had any hassle. As far as I'm concerned whether one is pre or post op has got nothing to do with it. As I see it the only person who knows this information in a loo is you. So my standard reply as to the state of my genitals would be, 'What has it got to do with you?' However, despite this stance the following happened when I came out at work and let the people at the qualification awarding body know that I wouldn't be going there as a man anymore. The response of the Chief Executive, a woman, was, 'You can come to our business how you want but when you are here you must use the disabled loo for your own privacy.' This is an awarding body which has developed a qualification for people who are LGBT would you believe!!
  • August 18, 2012 3:46 AM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:28 PM BST
    • 51 posts
    August 18, 2012 9:12 AM BST
    Hi Nicola,

I think the original source was from the US, given her us of the word 'bathroom' so I would imagine they have free refills in MacDonalds there just like you can have them here in Pizza Hut for soft drinks. And I do have more of a pee issue then it is true if I take advantage. I think Harvester and Frankie & Benny's do the same. So the moral of the tale: if visiting either of these have the issue of where you sit or stand fully worked out before you go. And it can be more of an issue in these venues too where there are always lots of kids anyway. I not encountered it yet but I can imagine some parents getting a bit twitchy about their daughters being in the loo with a trans woman.

Nell x
  • August 18, 2012 11:45 AM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:28 PM BST
    • 51 posts
    August 19, 2012 9:11 AM BST
    Hi Nicola,

I'm glad you're in a silly mood and hope this is a result of things getting better for you, hopefully. I also forgot Subway! There 7 Up must have a diuretic in it - I'll say no more! Perhaps with all those calories in most soft drinks my bladder is telling me to take it easy (legal note - yes I know low calorie soft drinks are available)

Best wishes,

Nell xxx
    • 41 posts
    August 19, 2012 4:36 PM BST
    Mmmm got to agree when presented as a lady,use the ladies can you just imagine stood in the gents having a tiddle,in full dress hee hee.
    I always use the ladies when out dressed,never had no trouble.
    Jacqui xxxx
  • August 31, 2012 12:44 AM BST
    When I transitioned at work they were stunningly accommodating of me but I chose to use the disabled toilets for the sake of my boss. It was an environment of "knuckle scrapers". But in every day life I would probably have gotten some very odd stared indeed if I had used the men's. My feelings on this are live and let live but my partner thinks that if someone really doesn't pass its better to use the disabled rather than undermine the cause. I think thats quite harsh though.
    • 51 posts
    August 31, 2012 6:39 AM BST
    I'm really glad someone uses the term 'knuckle scrapers' as well as me! I can't say I agree about passing which is easier for some than others. Isn't the 'cause' for all trans folk to have rights to be respected and treated for who they are not how they appear?

Best wishes,

Nell x