How old is "Too Old" to transition??

• June 28, 2012 8:30 PM BST

I have seen these comments made on the Gender Society's page "Oh, I'm too old now" or "I would have done it if I was younger" etc etc., but this story in the Daily Mail proves that if the desire is strong enough, their is no barrier at which the age of transition is impossible.

"................... For 77 years Ruth was better known as James Rose, a respected former RAF navigator, mechanical engineer, financial consultant and, latterly, spokesperson for the elderly.

James sat on county council committees and the policy sounding board of national charity Age UK.

He was an articulate, authoritative advocate who met Government ministers to discuss future policy for care services and pensions.

However, two years ago, James — a divorced father of three and grand-father of four — started living as Ruth because he was no longer able to ignore his desire to be a woman, which began at the age of nine.

Next year, when he will be 80, Ruth hopes to undergo the final stage of transformation — gender re-alignment surgery — which will make her Britain’s oldest transsexual........................"

Full story at:-  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2165755/Ruth-79-looks-ordinary-hides-astonishing-secret--family-struggled-come-terms-with.html

This post was edited by Former Member at June 28, 2012 8:32 PM BST
    • 434 posts
    June 29, 2012 3:07 AM BST
    Ruth is very lucky her health is good enough to go through the operation.
    Go Ruth go!!
    • 364 posts
    June 29, 2012 7:44 AM BST
    Good for you Ruth. Being of the same age group I wish I was of the same mind.
  • June 29, 2012 2:29 PM BST
    If you're in good enough health to undergo the surgery successfully then there shouldn't be an upper age limit. This is a lovely article and it's so refreshing to read about a TG woman in such a positive manner. I wish I could give Ruth a big hug and wish her all the best.