Born female with broad shoulders

• July 24, 2012 4:07 AM BST

Hello,

I was born a female with broad shoulders and narrow hips. Although I am already a female, I was wondering if taking a drug like propecia could make my shoulders narrower and my hips wider? I read men transitioning to become women need to take the drug about 3 years to feminize their body? Will the effects stay permanent after men stop the drug at 3 years? Could I stop the drug sooner than 3 years since I probably have more estrogen in me as a woman? I do not know if my body can become more feminine since I will not have a drastic decline in testosterone, which stimulates a man's body to produce lots of estrogen?

This post was edited by Former Member at July 24, 2012 4:08 AM BST
  • July 24, 2012 12:20 PM BST

Hi Marie,

Propecia would not have any effect on you I'm afraid as it not an oestrogen but was originally designed for the treatment of prostate cancer.  It does inhibit the formation of dihydrotestosterone from testosterone and this can help with hair loss to a certain extent.

Broadness in the shoulders is due to the skeletal structure more than fat and the shoulder width is reduced very little when on either oestrogen or a combined mixture of oestrogen and a testosterone blocker such as Spironolactone.

All these pharmaceuticals can be hazardous when used incorrectly - many can give rise to various cancers and/or heart problems when not correctly monitored.

I would advise that you consult with your physician to have your present hormone levels checked and maybe he could then discover any underlying causes which might be giving you a hormone imbalance which is causing you these problems.

It is never advised to self-medicate - without knowing your existing hormone levels, it can be exceedingly dangerous.

• July 24, 2012 1:29 PM BST

Thank you for your reply. I read how one man's shoulders repositioned in a more feminine way (whatever that means) after he took propecia.

This post was edited by Former Member at July 24, 2012 1:30 PM BST
    • 1652 posts
    July 24, 2012 2:49 PM BST
    Marie, that man lied or was deluded. Shoulders do not re-position themselves (though many people could improve their posture).
    There are no drugs that you could take to make your shoulders less broad or your hips wider (post-puberty).
    If you think your hormones may always have been out of balance you should see your GP.
    xx
  • October 29, 2012 1:01 AM GMT
    Marie Arthur said:

Hello,

I was born a female with broad shoulders and narrow hips. Although I am already a female, I was wondering if taking a drug like propecia could make my shoulders narrower and my hips wider? I read men transitioning to become women need to take the drug about 3 years to feminize their body? Will the effects stay permanent after men stop the drug at 3 years? Could I stop the drug sooner than 3 years since I probably have more estrogen in me as a woman? I do not know if my body can become more feminine since I will not have a drastic decline in testosterone, which stimulates a man's body to produce lots of estrogen?

Well I guess this is an old thread but I'll give my 2 cents worth. It's my understanding that there is only one inch difference in width between male and female shoulders. Muscle makes up most of the width difference in men. I know this rather first hand because I'm very petite at 5'6" tall 100 pounds and about the same muscle mass as a natural female. I wear XS woman's jackets, shirts, coats whatever and quite comfortably. Of course I'm small boned which helps. What's interesting is that some girls I work with who are a little heavier than I am have tried to wear some of my jackets but couldn't fit into them. LOL! They don't like me.