Data needed

• 51 posts
    July 28, 2012 9:25 AM BST

Hi,

I'm trying to get a volunteer led support group up and running in Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire with a focus not just on the social side but also linked into a health service so people can have access to sexual and mental health support. The sexual health service have a very nice room and the staff are supportive but I've been told that NHS commissioners see trans issues as very low priority and so won't support this even though all it would mean was a member of staff changing their work pattern so there was someone on site.

I've been advised to put my request in the form of an official complaint and that I need to include some sort of cost benefit analysis to really make them listen. The problem I'm having is getting hard data sets on health outcomes for trans people such as: suicide, self harm, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, and prevalence of STIs. I'm not trying to medicalise our situation just get the right help for folk at the right time. Any information about the above would be really welcome. I'm also keen to hear from anyone in the North Derbyshire, North Notts and South Yorks area who would like to be involved or feel this need is there. Anyone from the trans spectrum is welcome - it won't just for those who are transitioning or even out and could include SOFFAS as well.

Thanks,

Nell

• 51 posts
    July 29, 2012 9:12 AM BST
    Thanks for those people who have viewed this. As I haven't had any replies I've been doing some research of my own and found the National Mental Health Development website: http://www.nmhdu.org.uk/our-work/mhep/gender/transgender/ It says that in the largest study of 872 transgender people in the UK 34% had attempted suicide and it does say that whilst in the US trans people have the highest incidence of HIV this is not the case in the UK. I'm probably going to use this site and data in my complaint. I'll let you know how it goes. And of course I'm still looking to hear from trans folk who wish to be part of a support group. Best wishes, Nell