Informed consent, doctors, insurance, and other questions?

• 5 posts
    September 6, 2012 12:15 AM BST

Firstly, Hi. <3

I'm a migrant from the TrueSelves forum, as it is currently having (and has been having for about a month now) some issues processing my account. But enough about that.

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about "informed consent" perscriptions. I can't seem to find any doctors in my area that operate under anything but the old fashioned "gate keeping" method of hormone and anti-androgen assignment, and being that I don't fit so neatly into one of their little check boxes, I've been denied treatment going the traditional route of therapist>endocrinologist>etc.

So basically, **** them. But I don't want to spend the rest of my life DIYing, without any form of safety net or medical support. Plus, a perscription would be much much cheaper than ordering the stuff from abroad.

So I've bee DIY for about 3 or 4 months now, and from what I've read you need to have some kind of bloodwork done about every 6-8weeks. The dosage is low, and I'm watching my calcium and potassium, and weight, etc, but I have no idea of looking at my bloodstream at telling if the dosage I'm on is effective, or if I need to start ramping up. I've begun to develop breasts, which I'm told is just a side-effect of reduced testosterone, and I've started losing weight in all the right places...but I have no idea what to expect from my current dosage, or all of the scientific doctor-y stuff I should be aware of, other than the obvious risk of using this stuff at all. 

Eventually, I heard about informed consent perscription, and have been looking into it as much as I can, but I don't have any resources out here to my knowledge that I can use. I don't know how it works with insurance, or how to get a fuddy-duddy doctor to sign off on it, or if I'll still have to put up with that invasive "live with someone who observes you" part of transgender whatever.

Incidentally, I don't consider myself to be any particular gender, or "Genderqueer" as I'm told that view is called; so genital reassignment isn't really my bag--however, it seems to be the axis on which all conventional transgender therapies and avenues of access rotate.

So I guess at the end of all this babbling, the jist of my query is...help?

-Ruth<