D of H GIC New Draft Guide & Consultation (Draft 1)

• October 22, 2012 10:12 AM BST

http://www.crazy-girl.webspace.virginmedia.com/GICRG/2012-10-10/Draft_01.pdf
    http://www.crazy-girl.webspace.virginmedia.com/GICRG/2012-10-10/Draft_02.pdf

Your comments would be gratefully accepted so that I can feedback your ideas and responses back to the committee that is formulating these new policies

Thank you

Carol xx

This post was edited by Former Member at October 22, 2012 10:13 AM BST
  • October 24, 2012 2:31 PM BST

After reading through the draft specifications I do note that it is still not incumbent on the GIC's to actually start prescribing hormones until they decide to do so.  I have read comments both in the forums and on the front page about various GIC's refusing to prescribe hormones until the person actually transitions - and sometimes many months afterwards.

I therefore sent the following message to the  person in charge of commissioning the proposals outlining my concerns in this area.

"Hi Jo,

One thing that bothers me in these drafts is the lack of any detail about the authorisation of hormonal treatments on diagnosis of GID.

One consistent complaint by members of the Gender Society who are transsexual is that some GIC's will not begin hormone therapy until after the person has transitioned, which often leads to the potentially dangerous practice of self-medication.

People who are taking reasonable steps towards transition are therefore hampered by this policy by some GIC's in that they might be undertaking electrolysis or laser treatments for facial hair removal so that transitioning will be easier for them when they have other aspects of their life under control - and hormone treatments during this stage will aid in facial hair removal and also make the whole process of transitioning easier for that person.

With some of the policies adopted by some GIC's, it would seem that additional obstacles are being placed in their paths to make it more difficult for them to transition to their desired gender.  I firmly believe that once diagnosis has taken place, then hormonal treatments should be allowed to commence if the person wants to.

I personally found that when I was diagnosed with GID in the very early 70's, the psychiatrist approved cross hormone treatment - and this greatly helped my own mental condition when I did transition 18 months later, I was a lot calmer in mind and I was able to think more clearly about how I was going to manage my transition to lessen any potential problems.

At the moment, the draft does not contain any provision for this and I believe it should and that this would also help ease some of the problems of transition.

Kindest regards

Carol Uren"

I would be grateful if anybody who has been denied hormone therapy until the start of their transition (or later) could leave a note here and very importantly, leave the name of the GIC involved.

Many thanks

Carol

This post was edited by Former Member at October 24, 2012 2:39 PM BST
  • October 29, 2012 4:20 PM GMT

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:03 PM BST
  • October 29, 2012 4:49 PM GMT

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:04 PM BST
  • October 30, 2012 11:36 AM GMT
    Thank you Nicola for your detailed response. As a trained and fully qualified electrologist myself I can vouch for what your electrologist told you.

Carol xx