Another young woman loses her life because of hate

• March 22, 2013 1:54 AM GMT

RIP Lucy Meadows, the young schoolteacher from Accrington who was recently monstered by Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Mail and other rags, was found dead by police on Tuesday in what many suspect was suicide.
    Transphobia kills and the rags are full of it again - almost rejoicing in the news that their stories may have been responsible for her taking her own life.  

My heartfelt sympathy and condolences go out to her family, friends and the pupils that she taught at her school.

Don't these sick journalist have one shred of remorse for what they do??

A more reasoned comment appears in the Liberal Conspiracy here.

There was also a legal advisor to Trans Media Watch who spoke tonight on BBC Radio 4 about it which you can access here.  The interview with David Allen Green starts at 25mins and 20 seconds into the program if you wish to skip the other items.

• 143 posts
    March 22, 2013 2:59 PM GMT
    RIP Lucy Meadows. My thoughts, feelings, prayers, and energy go out to her family, her friends, and her students. The loss of someone close is a loss of part of ourselves. In seeing this story I see and feel a part of myself as her and hence a loss in myself too. I will only write of her and these feelings and only mention in small part the root cause - the fear and hate it spawns - of this tragedy. We all need to see things as they are, to have a liberated mind and not let ignorance be our shackles. Stepping away from those vile and banished thoughts - I close with this : Health, Hope, Harmony, and Happiness for us all - to be one who listens, learns as a student of life and speaks and works constructively for a brighter day tomorrow. hugs, Briana : )
  • March 22, 2013 3:36 PM GMT

Whilst I sympathise with the tragic death, and feel for Lucy Meadows family.

Not so much a rancid outburst of transphobia. more a rather insensative article.

Richard Littlejohn starts his article.   

''So I have every sympathy for the 400 or so people a year who opt for ‘gender reassignment’ surgery to put themselves out of their misery.

I don’t even have any problem with sex-change operations being carried out on the NHS, provided it’s a genuine medical necessity and not a lifestyle choice. Transsexuals pay taxes, too''

Before we lay all the blame for a tragic loss of life and castigate Richard Littlejohn.

Obviously everyone in the School, the parents, the whole world knew, so no naming and shaming. outing.    A very difficult situation, do we know if the rest of the staff, board of governors, were genuinely in full suport while advocation diversity?   A church funded school.???  

Everyone has a right of opinion, Even if its misguided on the side of child welfare?   Insisting on ones own rights and right to live their life as they want, does invite attention if it appears contrary to normal social expectancy.   Perhaps Lucy Meadows should have been advised by her gender counceloor, about the adverse reaction from the public and press her coming out might cause.   Ill informed parents,   Suprising how so many people in this day and age, still thinks a condtion that affects us is a life style choice or a perversion,   Anf go OTT when it concerns their children, who they see is impresionable, vunerable and looking for role models.

Richard Littlejohn also exposed the cover up over the Jimmy saville case at the BBC and took the powers to be to task.    Should'nt realy mention that in this particular sad case.   But is'nt that what the press is about.

No easy answers here a very sad ending.

It is against the law, to out people in the press,   The fact is Lucy meadows outed herself and any legal action is highly unlikely,   But this is not the same as a previous hack who alluded to unatural practices, life style choices and used derogatory terms to desctibe transexuals in general.

Whilst the legal position is not cut-and-dried, it is heavily weighted in favour of the transgender person. Even colleagues discussing a post-transitional person may be in breach of this law. Even before the award of a GRC, charges of harassment may be applied if the person is reported about on separate occasions using their previous name. Any article remaining on the internet following the award of a GRC may expose its author and editor to risk of prosecuti

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at March 22, 2013 4:09 PM GMT
  • March 22, 2013 3:44 PM GMT

Cristine,

Richard Littlejohn's hollow statement that "'So I have every sympathy for the 400 or so people a year .............." is belied by his continuous articles which attempt to ridicule and out trans people at every opportunity he gets. It is like the executioner saying sorry to his victim before he cuts off their heads.

This post was edited by Former Member at March 22, 2013 4:06 PM GMT
    • 746 posts
    March 22, 2013 4:02 PM GMT
    It just shows that we have a long ways to go for acceptance...while we've come so far in my lifetime, we have not been able to reach our final goals. Myself, Carol, and a few others are at an age where we might not live long enough to see this to it's fruition, but I feel deeply that acceptance will come in the next generation. So for all, let's keep pulling together to keep our agenda and momentum moving forward.
    RIP Lucy! : (
    Traci xoxo
  • March 22, 2013 4:53 PM GMT

Carol.  I'm not being obtuse or deliberately provocative, I think things like this cause a mass empathy type syndorme taking on the pain and suffering and percieved persecution.   similar to the events surrounding Princess diana's death, she hated publicity, yet she openly went on holiday to Paris with The son of Harrods boss. then we had half the nation whipping themselves and public crying, her death being blamed on the journalists who were chasing them.   wether misguided, uninformed whatever tactless Littlejohns article was hardly a ''hate, vitriolic'' attack on trans people it was questioning the ethics of a trans person being in a particular job (his opinion)

• 0 posts
    March 23, 2013 5:33 AM GMT

A very tragic event, in fact, ultimately tragic. It concerns me deeply and should raise many questions amongst those of us in a similar situation who are left living.

After the next few weeks of bereavement, analysis of the factors leading to this totally unnecessary and certainly avoidable death may reveal the root cause or causes.

I have no doubt that the conclusions reached would reveal that the Care of Transgendered persons should only advise and promote those practices and processes which will make us all 'bomb proof'.

Anything less is simply, totally unacceptable.

This post was edited by Former Member at March 23, 2013 5:35 AM GMT
  • March 23, 2013 11:08 AM GMT
    wow didnt even know this happened but its the daily mail i dont believe anything posted in that newspaper its always 1 sided

my heart goes out to lucy i would say rest in peace but i donno how anyone could considering

all i can say is the newspaper and Richard have shown those children how society will accept them and that cant be gd

my fear is the consequences of this haven't been truly felt yet
    • 434 posts
    March 29, 2013 3:06 AM GMT
    Traci,
    Perhaps we should concentrate more on accepting ourselves....and to hell with the rest of them who don't/won't accept us.
    • 746 posts
    March 29, 2013 8:29 PM GMT
    Hi Doanna...I have completely accepted myself and love the person I am...sadly, society keeps placing hurdles in our way for acceptance in a broad spectrum..ie: employment, etc...all I can do is make it real difficult for others to dislike me by my day-to-day actions of caring, sharing, giving willingly of myself and my time...so far, so good...
    xoxo