Warnings heeded but what if needed

• 171 posts
    August 7, 2014 11:53 PM BST

I know. I know and fully accept that nobody here will support, promote or uphold self-medication as being right. But I sit here, in a silk, gold nightshirt, blonde asymmetric bob and deep red lipstick, and look at the sober woman that returns my gaze within the mirror on the dressing table. I know, but i want to experience and be more. So where do I go now? Has anyone sought the need for medical conviction (I know that you cannot tell me so) and has anyone trialled something to seek comprehension when the answer was already pre-determined? A month's worth of something expensive to achieve a life expansive..

Can you understand when Female Hormones first enter your body that there was already a place for them, and that they fill a need? Can you determine within a short time that a course (of action) was the right decision, and realistically having understood this can you really expect to relinquish their spirit.

Once an infrequent social smoker - long time ago know, and never a taker of recreational drugs not even cannabis at Glastonbury, ans so why on earth the desire and need to experiment now?

You know, I know but I don't expect you to tell, encourage or condone. But you can comment if you wish.

Rachel x 

• 1652 posts
    August 8, 2014 12:39 AM BST
    It's probably not something you should be experimenting with. A decision to transition should be made before taking hormones, in my opinion.
    As for safety, the real danger is from doing something you know nothing about. Do lots of research, know what you are taking, learn about the risks, the side effects, and of course the intended effects. Realise the changes will be permanent and it will become increasingly more difficult and uncomfortable to present as male. Find out which is the safest form of estrogen and the safest way of taking it. Be aware. Accept that you are going to have to get blood tests before too long even if you hope to go it alone. See a doctor, get referred to a gender clinic; do it properly, don't dabble.
    And don't think herbals are going to be cheaper or safer, they are neither. In fact bio-identical estradiol, which is what most people are prescribed these days is actually quite cheap. Herbal "alternatives" are hugely expensive in comparison.
    So, do you want to change your life and live as a woman for the rest of your days, or do you just want to experiment, try and "see how it feels"?
    In my opinion it's all or nothing, and a leap of faith may be required. 
    And those doctors really can help.
    xx
    • 146 posts
    August 8, 2014 9:13 AM BST

Hi Rachel,

I feel for you on this . Just to say from my own experience Lucy is right on all these points, Please see your GP as soon as possible.

I admit I self medicated in the past , and have been on hormones for 2and half years , last  2 years under medical supervision and GP. Rights and wrongs are part of a transgendered life  , call it Rites of Passage if you like. 

Regarding Seeking  Medical conviction, it s that Old Chestnut , see a GP first and dont spend too much time on this otherwise .

[ Where is that tape measure to measure my  finger ratios,  etc ....brain development , DES Sons ..

All the doctors I have seen have been great and understanding , just tell them the truth and engage with them.

It really does help as Lucy says.

Also consider that registering with your GP as Transgendered means that there is a way for other people in your life to be assisted  who may have difficulties and help if you transition. My long term partner said she needed a Third Party .

No one should suffer in silence

As for effects , etc   ... we are all different and its for you . 

Just a note you say that you never took recreational drugs etc .. The same for me , i never smoked . Taking Hormones in order to transition is different and very fundamental. Keep healthy

I have always considered myself Health conscious and kept fit  did lots of exercise, never drank [excessively] . Taking hormones I still feel healthy , but the major thing is I FEEL more TOGETHER as Whole if that makes any sense.

. It does not happen overnight .

If I contrast myself before hormones and now , the major difference is that now I am more engaged with life and communicating with people more open. Before  I was in the "Locked in state" [ see Emma gee recent post] .

in a way Hormones are an enabler , they put you in a different mental position to see life so it may be unsettling  and new ,but if it is right for you you will feel it and can decide .

I always remember one of my GPs saying  "Well Donna if it feels right it must right !  "

Best of Luck Rachel , I think you will be alright  ;-)

• 746 posts
    August 8, 2014 6:01 PM BST

Rachel, as the girls mentioned above, it is all or nothing...hormones are not play toys that you put aside when you're satisifed for the day.  That said, once using them, you will find a clarity in your life like you've never experienced and virtually all the male angst, anger, anxiety and all will melt away.  But you also will be the SAME person you were prior to beginning.  

So yes, do give it very careful consideration...do not rush into things and think that taking more will get you "there" faster as your body will only use what it can use, no more, no less.  And there have been plenty of girls who lost their lives by taking too much without medical supervision by being impatient and taking huge doses...

Best wishes always!

Traci xoxo

• 48 posts
    August 8, 2014 10:30 PM BST
    Dear Rachel, I cannot add anything earth- shatteringly different to the common sense you will have read above. The fact is nobody needs to self medicate now. The key really though is not the medication. As Lucy says, it is a decision whether you want to do something irreversible or not.
    We all choose slightly different paths and, like you, I was desperate to start HRT, but I forced myself to go full time, just for a brief period, before I started the oestrogen. The fact is that taking oestrogen is not the magic bullet people ( me included) tend to think it is. The real step is that commitment to finally be you- the HRT and the gradual bodily changes just affirm that. As you say, taking hormones just affirms who you are anyway- so it becomes seamless and normal.

Be yourself, live as yourself and the doctors will support you.
    Lots of love and good wishes, xxxx
    • 178 posts
    August 16, 2014 7:05 AM BST

Rachael - I think our friends who have posted have got it right.  On a personal level, I can -to a degree - empathise with your feelings about this.  However, with my professional hat on, follow your head on this, not your heart.  See your GP.  Make sure he  or she understands your situation.  I'm pretty certain that if you can demonstrate a genuine committment to going down this route, you will be well supported.  Hormones are not things t try out 'just to see' Respectyour body!