Low Libido

• 1 posts
    December 23, 2014 2:23 PM GMT

Hello! I'm 29yo from Brazil, and I've been on Hormone Therapy for about 10 months now. Since I'm also on a relationship for about 3 months, I've noticed that my libido was pretty low, and when we were on bed I could not feel that much pleasure at all, and reaching an orgasm was almost impossible. Sharing some doubts with my Endro and friends, they told me it could be due to ciproterone acetate I was taking along with estradiol and finasteride. I've cut it for about 15 days now and I seeing my body hair coming back along with beard and a feeling of masculinity wich is quite bad. Someone told me on a forum that bicalutamide as antiandrogen could result in feminizing and not losing much of the libido. Do you have experiences on that? Here in my country this drug is not well known of use in HT, so I would like to hear you girls and maybe have some tips about it. Thank you!

• 0 posts
    December 23, 2014 9:16 PM GMT

Hi Nova

After exploring the use of estrogen under the supervision of my endorinologist we found that using an anti-androgen was not necessary. Estrogen satisfactorily lowers the level of testosterone. 

Pre-orchidectomy, I was using Progynon Depot 10mg/ml. 1 ampule I.M. every 10 days.

http://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-333-progynon-depot-10mg.aspx  

Libido is psychological. Physical response, on the other hand, can be affected by stress, anxiety, fatigue, etc

!^_^!   

• 1652 posts
    December 24, 2014 1:03 AM GMT
    Hi Nova.
    The thing is...
    You take anti-androgens and oestrogen and you are going to "de-masculinise". Testosterone and male virility go hand in hand, and the physical requirements for enjoying sex as a man will inevitably become impaired on female hormones. How soon and how much this happens can vary greatly between individuals, and will depend on your particular hormone regime as well as your physiological make-up.
    After 10 months on the hormones you have been taking your testosterone count will be negligible, practically zero. This will affect erectile function, sperm count, semen will virtually disappear if indeed you are able to produce it. It's not so much about libido, it's a physical thing. The drugs are turning your body into that of a woman, and you are trying to perform as a man. Something's got to give, and the first thing is usually sexual function. Although all may not be lost...
    I was 3 years pre-op on hormones and was still able to enjoy sex, though I never went with a woman in that time so never needed to "penetrate". I suspect it may have been a problem had the situation, um, come up. Let's just say I had gotten much smaller and less... rigid, but I could still orgasm.
    The older you get the less you need anti-androgens in my opinion. Furthermore, oestrogen alone will hugely affect your testosterone count; mine was reduced to zero without the use of anti-androgens and even on a small dose of oestrogen. I had just passed 40 when I started. Cyproterone acetate is a powerful anti-androgen and you probably don't need it for good feminisation past your mid-twenties, or thereabouts.
    You are right to stop the cyproterone, it's a risky drug and not something you should be taking long term. But I wouldn't particularly recommend bicalutamide either, it's very dangerous in high doses.
    Any change in hormone regime will cause ups and downs, so always wait for things to settle before making any decisions. What is your dosage of estradiol? If it's bio-identical it's pretty safe, even long term, and is the one sure-fire thing that will feminise your body. A sensible dose of estradiol alone, in my opinion is a far wiser option than a low dose combined with a dangerous anti-androgen. With all AA's it's absolutely essential to have regular liver function and other tests. 
    I'm now 10 years on estradiol, 7 years post op. Sex is amazing, but obviously I do it differently now
    xx