TG websites - Overload?

• 338 posts
    September 1, 2004 9:29 PM BST
    V simple question, so for once i'll get on with it...

Anyone else finding accessing tg websites has got waaaay slower recently, not just tweb but a few other sites too.. its not my net link cus other sites work fine, its just the tg sites i check out are now taking ages to respond.

chat room on here is like a few others, now slower than it was on dial-up, but its not the software this time cus everything else has slowed down.

Wondering if anyones heard of a DoS attack wave on tg groups or some such rubbish?
  • September 2, 2004 7:53 AM BST
    Don't talk to me about Windows XP SP2. I think we should have gone after Microsoft not Iraq!! Since installing SP2 I have had to reinstall Office, Real Player, my AV and Firewall Software, switch off Windows Firewall twice (it switched itself back on), reset my home network 4 times and reset all my pop ups.

Oh and since installing it TW has definitely got slower as have a few other sites including BBC Online, so its not just TG ones Clair and I have had more security threats picked up by Norton Firewall in the last 2 weeks than I had in the last 9 months.

All in I am seriously considering a return to good old SP1 and I have turned auto update off as I can imagine what problems that could cause.

If it wasn't for work I'd get a Mac!!

Alex
    xxx
    • 1198 posts
    September 2, 2004 8:57 AM BST
    I'm finding it slow too, i also find when i'm on the site for a while and i decide to go into chat, i enter and nothing appears so i have to click again to re-enter. That might be my pc though, can anyone suggest anything?..........love JJ xx
    • 236 posts
    September 2, 2004 8:45 PM BST
    Hi clair
    Over the past couple of days I could not ecen enter the forum but most of the other areas of TW.i have just installed a wonderfull piece of trial sofware that goes right through all your files registry ie wbe settings how your memory and ram is managed advises how to speed things up since i have run it cleaned loads of rubbish from the registry and reset all my Pcs settings long and the short Tw flies like it used to but reference to your main questionIt appeared to be Tw only I think server probs most likely.
    • 1195 posts
    September 2, 2004 8:53 PM BST
    Glad I('m not alone when it comes to getting snagged - upgraded Windows XP everything crashed - called Dell and had to reload system. What fun! Man at Dell said they were very busy correcting Microsofts mess. Computer has been s l o w ever since. Aint technology wonderful - couldn't live without it tho!!
    Jillian xxx
  • September 2, 2004 11:05 PM BST
    couldn't resist the temptation to sign on tonight (as I suspected! lol)

SP2 for XP is a pain I agree. I do think it's worth having though. Some users will have problems after installing it, but that's why we backup system files when we are given the option, and we can then use system restore or uninstall the service pack if there's a problem. Some are very unlucky though, and have to completely re-install. SP2 is infact best installed on a clean system, without an SP1 update. (those with XPSP1 straight off the installation cd are not as badly affected).

Incidentally, those programs that don't work very well after installing SP2 are usually the worst kind of programs to have on your PC. AOL and anything Norton are prime examples. The trouble is that SP2 is like a complete reload of XP. System files are overwritten, replaced, removed, or changed, with some new ones added, and so things don't operate the same way anymore. Unfortunately for some users, programs that embed themselves into windows like aol or norton AV stop working properly because of it. The fact is, programs should lie and operate on top of an operating system, not become part of it. When that happens, you're asking for trouble.

Any security concious people should note that SP2 reconfigures the default startup types for a large number of services. This limits the scope for damage by virus and worm writers for example. I would also ask anyone who is so concious, whether they have disabled the Distributed Component Object Model/Manager (DCOM), and if not, why? There are any number of services running on XPSP1 that really don't need to be running, and pose a security risk. An important thing to remember, is that compared to SP2, SP1 machines are easy targets. Many of the holes in SP1 are well known, whereas SP2 is not only more secure, but less "known".

I'm not saying that it won't be found to contain holes. It will, sooner or later, but right now, it's secure. Software is after all only insecure AFTER someone finds a hole and creates an exploit. Untill then, nobody knows.

One final and non-techy point. People have complained like crazy at M$ for not better securing windows, myself included. Now, they've listened, and come up with SP2. The best way to secure a machine is to unplug it from the phoneline, but it's just not practical. SP2 was created on that same balance. Functionality vs security. All in all, I think it's a good job considering the truly enormous task they were faced with, And that's coming from a Linux supporter! lol. Just give it time.

As a side note, anything that harrasses someone to install basic security measures on their PC has got to be a good thing in my book! It make it less likely that I'll get hit with a nasty worm!

As for the load speed, I was on a 1 MB ASDL Broadband connection, and noticed the site reacting slowly weeks ago. I'm now paying by the minute on a 56k Dialup modem, connected at 40 Kbps. I'm seeing very little no difference in speed. I don't think SP2 is entirely to blame. It could just b the sheer size of the SQL database on this site, amongst other things.

Just airing my views to be acknowledged or dismissed. Nothing personal to anyone. Just an opinion on a situation.
    • 1980 posts
    September 2, 2004 4:16 AM BST
    Hi Clair-

And all this time I thought it was just me. We recently installed a Micrsoft "upgrade" <insert sobbing hysterical laughter here> that doesn't seem to want to play nice with the other applications tha live in our computer. So, yes, it has seemed slower to me, but I wasn't sure if it was TW or my computer.

Hugs, Joni
  • September 2, 2004 8:54 AM BST
    Clair,

I've noticed TW being a little slow of late, the number of visitors on the site doesn't seem to make any difference so I don't know if it's bandwidth .. but most other sites TG or otherwise seem to be working fine for me at least.

.. and Alex; Windows Auto Update no no no no, never! Switch it off, leave it off.

Cerys x
    • 2127 posts
    September 3, 2004 1:43 AM BST
    Hello girlies,

We have had a few server problems recently but they should not have made things slower.

However, the old chatroom does make the site slower but we're hoping to lose it sometime in the next few days.

Eric has been busy trying to install Digichat instead, which should be much faster and hopefully won't slow the rest of the site down.

On a tekkie note, we may also soon have an operating system upgrade which will hopefully cure some of our problems.

We are currently running Linux Redhat 7.2 and are looking at upgrading to Redhat 9.0. That would be a bit like upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows XP. The fresh install should help a lot and as everyone knows, Linux is way better than Windows.

We are also becoming a victim of our own popularity with record numbers of girls online at once.

Unlike static HTML pages, nearly every page on this site is generated on the fly by the Trannyweb software and that means that the processor always has a lot of work to do.

Mind you, if popularity is a good thing then it's all down to you. You are Trannyweb, not me. I'm just a girl with a server.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2068 posts
    September 3, 2004 12:14 PM BST
    you might just be a lady with a server katie,but without you and all the hard work you put into TW,we'd have nothing.Just thought you'd like to know we're all grateful for all the work you put into TW.love and xxxx maria
    • 2573 posts
    September 3, 2004 1:51 PM BST
    Alexa, sorry, I just shut off autoupdate today after getting the warning that computer manufacturers are recommending against SP2, as LEAST until you upgrade a slew of drivers, etc. cause it....well, I guess you know already what happens. It screws up your computer.

Wish I hadn't dumped the email now.
    • 1980 posts
    September 3, 2004 4:27 PM BST
    Well, we took care of our problem by yanking out XP2 and wrapping it an old newspaper along with some fishguts and tossing it in the garbage. Okay, only figuratively.

Rhia, thank you for the information you posted. I will show it to the systems manager (my wife) hopefully she will glean something from it to help out next time. She does want to install XP2, but it was causing way too many problems at the moment. When she has a bit more time she will give it another go.

Hugs, Joni