getting started

• 9 posts
    May 16, 2015 6:02 PM BST
    I hear of so many self medicating. whether it's lack of insurance, as my case is. So I found this site and I asked the question what is the lowest dose female hormone to buy to get started. I would get my blood work once in awhile. to make sure I'm okay. Replies to my messages have been telling me that the hormones can be dangerous. That I need to do it through a doctor. Give me any feedback that you may have. Thanks.
    • 68 posts
    May 16, 2015 7:03 PM BST

Well I suppose if you absolutely must do it.... But as you already know I haven't recommend it without medical support. I gather you want to place your body into a sort of holding pattern until you can sort things out further? Information on this subject varies wildly because a lot depends on your own body and the way it reacts. I wouldn't go near injections as they are more designed for a big boost and then a big downer and leave you prone to bad mood swings. Probably a low dose patch such as Estradot will place less strain on your liver too if you drink/smoke.

• 9 posts
    May 16, 2015 7:32 PM BST
    Thank you. I'm not going to anything big. I want to go slow as possible. which will enable me to live my life as I have felt in my heart for more than 20 years.
  • May 16, 2015 8:48 PM BST

We are not doctors, I would'nt say for a healthy person they would be dangerous,  none of these drug were designed or intended originally to transform males into females.   BUT for a few they can have adverse side effects.   Thats apart from lowering your libido and eventually give you a permanent soft on.   I suggest you see a doctor and have a full health and blood tests before you embark on any medication, it would be crass for anyone on here to suggest a particular medicine or dosage, one specific medication does not suit others.   One tip stay away from so called natural products, most do not come anyway near the effectivness of natural eotrogen based products and are very expensive.   I suggest you read through this forum and the threads, they might give you some ideas, what ever you do, make sure you do your research.

• 9 posts
    May 16, 2015 9:00 PM BST
    Thank you. I am doing a lot of researching. I have been thinking about this for years. I promise I will take the time to do all the research I need.
    • 746 posts
    May 16, 2015 11:11 PM BST

Age, lifestyle, genetics and such play a huge part...think if anyone in your family lineage has had DVTs, strokes, clotting, heart issues, etc...and another thing that many neglect is that the mental baggage you carry in pre-hormones you will carry out with you post-hormones.  In other words, have your crap together.  Depression and social anxiety will not go away because you have estrogen in your system now.  In fact, some of the things you will face will make it worse...Plan wayyyy ahead about jobs, finances, place to live, loss of family and friends, etc...you can take it to the bank you will experience some if not all so plan for the worst scenarios or at least have good backup plans!  Way too many of us want everything right now without really thinking it out and it is often disastrous.  

That said, many have transitioned successfully as well...but what I have found as the common theme was a well mapped out plan and a safety net when/if things get really rough.  Going slowly is also a smart thing.  Do not just toss yourself to the world and announce "I am now a woman".  Lots of people have no clue about any of this and will reject you for lack pf understanding...ease into things, baby step by baby step until one day the world just says, "well, it's about time"!!  (smile)

Best wishes always...

Traci xoxo

• 9 posts
    May 16, 2015 11:15 PM BST
    are great thank you
    • 9 posts
    May 31, 2015 5:14 AM BST
    thank you for caring
    • 9 posts
    May 31, 2015 5:24 AM BST
    I am 45 years years old. got the courage to open up to my father which did not go well. Talking to my mother tomorrow. I feel I am breaking their hearts.
    • 746 posts
    May 31, 2015 6:25 AM BST

Why the rush to open up to your parents?  I allowed myself the luxury of phyically morphing some before I came out to anyone...and we're talking a couple of years, not weeks or months!  If you let the cat out of the bag, you'll never be able to put it back in!!!  You really ought to think this out some...look far down the road to where you wish to be, then slowly take baby steps to arrive there...it is very often extremely difficult to have it go smoothly if you tell others your intentions before you have already taken a bunch of steps forward...I could go on, but you get my point here...

xoxo

• 9 posts
    May 31, 2015 2:55 PM BST
    No I'm sorry I don't get the point. Ihave lived this different person in my body for years it is killing my mind heart and soul not to let it not. I have the support of a great sister all I get is a lot of negativity on this site. Iwas told about about site because it was uplifting and encouraging with a little support. I have already found a therapist. I'm doing this for me. I can't hide feelings anymore. Its not like I'm going to start dressing up and putting on makeup in front of them at age 45.
    • 68 posts
    May 31, 2015 3:13 PM BST

I have a feeling you're getting a bit of a "raw response" from some of the girls and they are just sharing their experience. Support comes in many ways and I have seen several different types of groups from the superfluous "Oh you look lovely dear..." (when the picture looks like Hulk Hogan wearing a skirt that's miles too short) to those who prefer the hard truths and realities that are faced by the TG community without any sugar coating.

Personally I don't agree with |Traci's comments but that's just me.

I get the impression |Traci went for the "it's too far down the road to change it back now folks so live with it..." approach which is fine too and I know suits some. Me I prefer to play it up front so people can make their minds up (they don't have to have me in their life which is their choice and their loss).

In any case since you've already told your Dad.....

Good luck with your Mum and I hope she can at least be more understanding (I tend to think Mum's are usually a bit more so than |Dad's).

• May 31, 2015 3:24 PM BST

Caution is not negativity, you are being offered advice in a supportive way, you choose your path, nobody can do it for you, some advice you might accept sometimes you will choose your own way, thats how it works, whats good for one is not neccesarily right for another.  We have had people here, who's partners knew nothing and they thought while the wife was out shopping or at work they would get dressed, wait till the partner got back and then hit them  with it! obviously family are gonna be horrified and and  dissapointed, at least your father did'nt put you in hospital for 8 weeks.

Fathers have great expectations form their ''sons'' also there is that lack of understanding.

• 9 posts
    May 31, 2015 3:51 PM BST
    yet for the past two days my father has been talking to me every evening as if nothing has happened. Just to see how my day was. I am NOT pushing anything. when they have their questions I will answer them both. I will give them both time to deal with this in their own way.
    • 746 posts
    May 31, 2015 5:15 PM BST

Toby, perhaps a lack of information and background has led to a misinterpretation...no biggie...I fail to see the negativity...you asked for information, we shared our experiences, and you're hurt by it?  Did we say something you did not want hear????  And you did say a couple of times you were going to proceed slowly and then you mention you told your parents before you began any physical transformation...it really confused me...noone said this would be easy girl, and guess what?  They are right...I'm finished with my thougts...

Best wishes on your journey...

xoxo

This post was edited by Traci Lee O'Gara at May 31, 2015 7:09 PM BST
    • 9 posts
    June 1, 2015 2:02 AM BST
    I just could not even go to a therapist, without getting to me the hardest part over. And that was letting my parents know my feelings. and ensure them I am atlest going to a therapist and not jump into anything to quickly. I did not mean to come off rude. Today was a hard day. Yet my mom said she would love me no matter what my decision was she would always love me.