Medical tests 101

• 2017 posts
    March 10, 2016 8:22 PM GMT

Have any of you ever had to be admitted to hospital due to illness during transition? It happened to me and I thought I would share the experience. 

I was admitted initially because I had a migraine that was into it's fourth day and because I get nauseous with them I was severly dehydrated as well. The medical staff subjected me to all kinds of examinations including an epidural to check spinal fluid (that just felt so wrong), ultrasound, lung x-ray etc. You can't hide from an ultrasound as it will quickly show that you seem to be missing a womb! lol

It made me feel a little, I don't know, vulnerable perhaps? Or exposed? I can't really explain it very well but it certainly 'outed' me! Of course, going through all of this while pre-op was a little uncomfortable as well. That will also 'out' you! 

Anyway, the staff were brilliant and continued to treat me as a woman and placed me in the appropriate room so it was no big deal. 

I wonder how many others here have had any similar experiences?

• 0 posts
    March 10, 2016 8:59 PM GMT

I have had a few stays in hospital in the past and cheated death twice. I have always been treated with the greatest of respect. My medical records have the gender marker female but , they also show my past because they have to for any emergency.

One of the funniest things that ever happened to me was in an ambulance after I colapsed in town. When I came around the paramedic asked me , Julia do you think you are or maybe pregnant? I just cracked up and explained it is not possible. Maybe I should take that as a compliment.

Take care x

• 2017 posts
    March 11, 2016 11:09 AM GMT

That made me laugh Julia, as I got asked the same thing. As you say, we should be flattered I guess. 

My medical also show me as being transgendered, obviously the whole process is documented in there. I do still keep getting letters regarding a smear test though! lol. Again, I should be flattered and I am gald that those responsible do not have the full access to my filles to know any different. 'Name, age, gender, date of birth', oh, you are due for a smear test. 

I would be surprised if you haven't had the same thing happen to you. 

• 0 posts
    March 11, 2016 10:42 PM GMT

The Paramedic wondered what he had said that was so funny Nikki. I suppose they have to ask , more so when a cleavage is staring them in the face. Yes I get the smear test letters too.

Take care , Julia x