Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Medical tests 101

Medical tests 101

Tags : None
  • Have any of you ever had to be admitted to hospital due to illness during transition? It happened to me and I thought I would share the experience. 

I was admitted initially because I had a migraine that was into it's fourth day and because I get nauseous with them I was severly dehydrated as well. The medical staff subjected me to all kinds of examinations including an epidural to check spinal fluid (that just felt so wrong), ultrasound, lung x-ray etc. You can't hide from an ultrasound as it will quickly show that you seem to be missing a womb! lol

It made me feel a little, I don't know, vulnerable perhaps? Or exposed? I can't really explain it very well but it certainly 'outed' me! Of course, going through all of this while pre-op was a little uncomfortable as well. That will also 'out' you! 

Anyway, the staff were brilliant and continued to treat me as a woman and placed me in the appropriate room so it was no big deal. 

I wonder how many others here have had any similar experiences?

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      March 10, 2016 8:22 PM GMT
  • I have had a few stays in hospital in the past and cheated death twice. I have always been treated with the greatest of respect. My medical records have the gender marker female but , they also show my past because they have to for any emergency.

One of the funniest things that ever happened to me was in an ambulance after I colapsed in town. When I came around the paramedic asked me , Julia do you think you are or maybe pregnant? I just cracked up and explained it is not possible. Maybe I should take that as a compliment.

Take care x

March 10, 2016 8:59 PM GMT
  • That made me laugh Julia, as I got asked the same thing. As you say, we should be flattered I guess. 

My medical also show me as being transgendered, obviously the whole process is documented in there. I do still keep getting letters regarding a smear test though! lol. Again, I should be flattered and I am gald that those responsible do not have the full access to my filles to know any different. 'Name, age, gender, date of birth', oh, you are due for a smear test. 

I would be surprised if you haven't had the same thing happen to you. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      March 11, 2016 11:09 AM GMT
  • The Paramedic wondered what he had said that was so funny Nikki. I suppose they have to ask , more so when a cleavage is staring them in the face. Yes I get the smear test letters too.

Take care , Julia x

March 11, 2016 10:42 PM GMT