Gynecomastia

• 121 posts
    October 6, 2004 1:17 PM BST
    Hi girls-during my teens and at present I have a condition called Gynecomastia whereby you grow what look like female breasts.This usually occurs in teenage boys (as with me)but can also occur in adult men or men on steroids.You can have the breasts removed by lyposuction or depending on the amount of breast tissue surgery.In my case which is fairly severe ( i'm a 36"b cup)I would have had to have surgery,but decided not to.I was teased a lot at school nothing that I couldn't cope with plus the teachers were a great help.I decided against surgery because there are always risks with any kind of surgery.Also as I had been dressing as a girl since a young age I did not mind living with them despite the teasing,i'm more than pleased today.
    Are there any other girls out there who also have this condition
    as I would love to know what their thoughts are?Gynecomastia is not a rare condition it's more common than people think most sufferers don't realise they have it as they just think that they may be a little overweight.Thought I would post this in the hope it may help those who have the condition.Once again Iwould love to hear your views.Hugs Allissande
  • October 6, 2004 5:34 PM BST
    Allissande,
    I don't have that condition-UNFORTUNATELY! It is very common, and there are many of us who would welcome it-a lot cheaper than hormones or implants! I'm sure it can be traumatic for 'normal' males. How fortunate you are that you are of our persuasion!
    • 124 posts
    October 13, 2004 1:54 AM BST
    Hi Blogette ( Cindy ),

Nice chatting with you yesterday. Whats funny is that I saw the show on TLC about Gynecomastia right after I talked to you. In the one case, the guy was lucky that he went to the doctor since he had a cancerous mass that was causing the lactation. But, you are correct in that they do get in the way and are a constant reminder, expecially if one is trying to repress the desire. I feel that you are going in the correct direction based on our conversation yesterday. And like in the movie "White Chicks", they do tend to get in the way .

Chin up and charge ahead!!

Huggz....

Casandra
    • 374 posts
    October 14, 2004 10:32 AM BST
    Hi Cindy,

It's good to hear from you. Sounds like things are going ok for the most part. Hope all goes well with your surgery. Stay safe & strong

Hugs,

Monika
  • October 25, 2004 4:08 AM BST
    I just feel badly for non-TG men who have Gynecomastia.

There was once a story being put about by some Doctors that smoking pot caused it but I think that it has been discredited by now.

Another thing: (sorry, off topic) I feel badly for men (without Gynecomastia) who develop breast cancer. I knew a guy with that and he was more afraid of people finding out than he was of the cancer.
    • 1980 posts
    October 7, 2004 12:21 AM BST
    Hi Allisande-

All I can do is second Barbi-Jo's sentiments and say I wish I "suffered" from it too. It must be very nice to have something real to put in your bra.<lol>

Hugs, Joni from Oregon
    • 1980 posts
    October 12, 2004 3:56 AM BST
    Cindy girl, hey sweetheart. How good to hear from you. I'm glad things are going okay, I think of you so often. Please email me anytime you'd like or leave a message, just ask for me by my guy name, which you know.

You're always in my heart, girl. The first real friend I made on TW. You know I always wish you the very best. I keep wishing you would come back, but that is just selfishness. Stay strong and stay true to yourself and what you feel.

Hugs, Joni
    • 2573 posts
    October 12, 2004 8:59 AM BST
    The Learning Channel had a show called BOYS WITH BREASTS tonight. It was on exactly this topic and covered it fairly well including lactation. It was interesting to note that there were some people with the condition who were clearly transgendered, although the show did not make the connection firmly. It was also clear people with the condition deal with the same kind of societal rejection/abuse that we do.
  • October 13, 2004 9:56 PM BST
    Hey Cindy. You are wonderful – so encouraging and so caring for others, even though you know how much you're missing in your situation. Love you lots babe. I will email you.

Catherine
    • 1652 posts
    October 25, 2004 5:09 AM BST
    Although I’ve heard of the condition, the only place I’ve met people who actually are affected by it is on this site; maybe that follows on from what Rachel hinted at, men are scared to admit to such an affliction, it just goes to show the prejudice that our society has to contend with. For men to admit that they have breast cancer means they have to admit they have breasts, sorry guys but you do have them; they are just smaller than girls’.
    Unless you suffer from gynecomastia of course, and you wouldn’t want to admit that if you’re a straight male.
    Is there a tg amongst us who wouldn’t want to have gynecomastia as a valid excuse for being somewhat more feminine?