kendras pc problems can any1 help ?

• 614 posts
    October 8, 2004 9:38 PM BST
    hi all as some of you r aware kendra has`nt been online since the weekend , thats because she shas pc problems , she is on wandoo internet connection , when she logs into explorer she gets the screen and it just searches and searchs for a web site but she doesnt get anything.

when shes goes into trouble shotter she gets a message saying the computer does not have a networking TCP/IP installed

But if she follows the instructions to install it , it shows as installed

any ideas any1 will parse ideas on to kendra so she can get back home to trannyweb soon

• October 9, 2004 3:07 AM BST
    To be connected, but not be able to find any web pages, looks like a problem with the DNS, ADSL/DSL signal quality, or firewall/networking configuration issue. Not being in front of the machine, I can't suggest anything else. It could be a simple problem, but from the information given, it could be anything.

If Kendra is using WinXP, I would suggest a system restore first of all.

Tina's advice is great. Try Outlook express. If it connects, then there is a reasonably good connection. If so, either try using a stand-alone browser like firefox to test the web connectivity, or attempt to reset internet explorer by "removing" it in add remove programs from control panel (which will start the IE repair process instead of removing it), or opening IE, and going to tools --> internet options --> advanced --> restore defaults. If neither of these works, the problem lies either in windows it'self, or with the actual line. Tech support from Kendras ISP may also be worth a try. There's not much they won't have seen before.

You may want to try asking at the Windows OS forum at http://www.techspot.com/vb/index.php, or a more extreme option would be to use the windows recovery/installation disk to repair the installation. This will look just like a fresh installation, and take the same length of time, but all files that were on the PC will still be there. It may mean that some programs will need to be re-installed though.
    • 338 posts
    October 10, 2004 7:36 PM BST
    daft question.. Has she just installed XP-SP2? cus if so it enables a firewall by default, that blocks everything. its configured in the control panel somewhere. not let XP2 onto mine so i don't know exactly where..
  • October 11, 2004 10:43 AM BST
    If it is the default Window's Firewall it can be switched off by going to Control Panel / Security Centre. I'd also switch off Auto Update as well.

As for her problem connecting I'd suggest she removes any old connections from Network Connections and reinstalls her connection using the original disk. That should sort out the problem, if it doesn't then it might be a more serious problem and time for a new computer!!!
    • 614 posts
    October 11, 2004 2:37 PM BST
    thanks for your advise girls i will ring her later and tell her wot you have all said and hopefully she can be back with us soon
  • October 14, 2004 8:46 PM BST
    I don't know if this has been resolved yet, lots of good advice though. If not, you could try to determine if it is TCP/IP, DNS or Firewall related, or more than one. At least doing so could point her in the right direction. Try this:

Go to the start menu and select 'run', type in 'cmd' and hit enter.

At the prompt type the following 'ping 127.0.0.1' and then enter, a 'sane' firewall shouldn't block this. If it doesn't say 'Request timed out' anywhere then you can be assured that TCP/IP is installed and working correctly.

Also,

1) Try 'ping 216.239.39.99' and enter. It should say 'Reply from 216.239.39.99 .....', If so then the internet connection is working fine.

2) Now try 'ping google.com' and enter. It should say something like 'Reply from 216.239.39.99 .....', if so the internet connection and DNS are both working fine.

If both worked but she still cannot view a web page it could be IE related, try uninstalling/repairing it is as suggested before.

If 1 worked but 2 didn't then it could be DNS related. If so it could be tricky to best advise her. Their tech-support line should be able to talk her through checking/fixing that.

If neither worked it could be the connection or firewall. If she is sure the internet connection is 'connected' then turn off all firewall(s), as suggested before and try again.

Let us know how she gets on hun and we might be able to suggest something more.

Hugs

Katherine
  • October 15, 2004 12:37 AM BST
    Good advice!

127.0.0.1 is a "loopback" IP address. The packets never actually leave the machine, and so most good firewalls will allow it, as they aren't so "system-invasive" (Norton products, and the AOL client are good examples of "system-invasive" software) as to even see the packets in the first place.

When you try, you should see this....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\home>ing 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\home>

This is on an SP2 machine, with even the windows firewall enabled.

That said, and this may only be my own point of view, if it's a hard to identify problem with XP, it's often not just easier, but quicker to repair/reinstall the OS. The same goes for IE (after trying some basic solutions). I'd rather spend an hour repairing my OS from the CD, that spend an hour stuck in front of it trying to fix it. At least then I can leave it and get on with something else.

Please let us know how she's getting on when you can!!!
    • 614 posts
    November 17, 2004 1:07 PM GMT
    just to update you all on this situation , spoke to kendra again yesterday , it turns out her pc is mega bust so she ordered a new 1 and should be back online within 2 weeks
  • November 17, 2004 2:14 PM GMT
    That's my solution to big PC problems. Retrieve all useful files, make a note of all settings and product ID's etc, then take a large hammer to it!!!

Once the stress has been relieved by smashing it into a millions little bits, some retail therapy is good so go buy a new one.

Works for me anyway

Alex
    xxx
  • November 25, 2004 8:16 AM GMT
    Kendra,

It's good to see you have got it sorted and are back on-line again, and now you have a new PC to play with too

Hugs,

Katherine
    • 374 posts
    November 25, 2004 11:49 AM GMT
    Welcome back hon...I was a bit worried about you. Glad you sorted out your PC problem. Hope to chat soon

Hugs,

Monika
    • 456 posts
    October 9, 2004 12:07 AM BST
    It sounds at though her connection settings are wrong Christina.
    Can she email out? If she can - using Outlook Express I expect then the connection to the computer is not a [problem but the internet explorer settings. If she can email get her to email me and I will suggest what she can do.
    • 2068 posts
    November 17, 2004 2:31 PM GMT
    i heard from Kendra the other day via text.It seems like she's bought a new PC,so it won't be long before she's back on TW.I for one have missed her. Love maria xxx