Un Format. Any idears?

• 83 posts
    December 15, 2004 12:53 PM GMT
    Has anyone got any idears what I could use?

I have some floppy's disks which did contain most of the pictures I had from when I was a full time.
    The original pictures where unfortunately lost.
    I had these pictures on the disks up to about 3 years ago when I accidentally formatted them thinking that I had put them onto my hard drive.
    I am quite upset that ive lost these pics and would really like to get them back for obvious reasons.
    I have tried quite a bit of disk recovery software but even it cant find them on the disks or on the hard drive where I thought they was stored.
    The last piece of software I used to attempt to retrieve them was O&0 disk recovery which worked far better than the rest on the hard drives but unfortunately did not turn up the pictures. I also tried it on the floppy disks but it didn't find them either.
    Does any know of any software I could use that may retrieve more?
    I know this is a long shot and I think I will never see these pictures again. but if anyone knows of any method then you would make me a very happy girl.

Oh yes also one other thing i would just like to mention.
    Girls do yourself a favour if you ever want to get rid of a pc then take the hardrive out of it and take a large hammer to it.
    While i have been using this unformatting software i have learned that it doesnt matter how much you think you have deleted everything most of it can always be called back if you have the right software.
    The Hardrive i had was taken from another old machine and i just used it as a spare. It was only 700meg but i found stuff from 1997 which is even before i got hold of the thing.
    Be Warned!

Thanks
  • December 15, 2004 1:47 PM GMT
    Hard Disk destruction is so much fun though. I used petrol and a match on my last one and I have heard of someone using the explosive used offshore for sampling. Now that would be fun!!

I have heard big magnets can scramble the particles enough to make it unreadable but not 100% sure about that.
  • December 15, 2004 10:31 PM GMT
    There's many urban myths about data destruction, but only one truth...

If someone wants to take your hard disk, however well you think you've destroyed it, and us enough manpower for enough hours and spend enough money on it, they WILL recover data from it!

The only way to completely destroy the data is to completely destroy the hard-disk platters. This can't even be done safely at the bottom of a bonfire.

The most effective and quickest method of doing this that I've seen was a laptop filled full of Thermite after having the drives removed, and then ignited, causing the laptop to reach temperatures upwards of 3000 degrees celcius in a short space of time.

I don't think I'd make that much effort though. Personally I'd just use a sanitizer a few times. With the right algorythm, it's as good as it's likely to reasonably get, and even then it takes an awfully long time.
  • December 15, 2004 1:25 PM GMT
    Mandibles

.. And every word you ever uttered has been recorded by the walls and is stored in the tiny vibrations of atomic particles and one day will be played back by archeologists...!

paranoid .. me?

It's very hard to smash a hard disc, I've tried

Cerys xx
    (All my friends watch me when I'm in the bath
    through tiny cameras hidden in the taps)
  • December 15, 2004 4:35 PM GMT
    Shan

Dropped into the boiling pot whilst still alive, wriggling screaming, hands tied together .. bubble bubble .. no escape.

.. but you've been to "Napoleons" so you'll know all about that.

Cerys xx
    (on seratonin high after eating million squids
    worth of chocolate coins)