March and wild cats

• March 1, 2005 5:26 AM GMT
    It is March and pussies get wild as you know...
    I can feel the March in me . Kisses.

Laura
  • March 1, 2005 10:17 AM GMT
    Hiya Tippy

This fiendish and evil looking creature is what happens you cross a Scottish Wild Cat with a domestic moggy, apparently. Don't mess with nature ..!

... I bet you're quaking in your litle fur booties!

Cerys x
  • March 1, 2005 11:33 AM GMT
    Nooooo, not rabbits, Hares. Hence the phrase "Mad as a march hare"

Most famously incorporated by Lewis Carroll into Alice in Wonderland.

My cats have aways been spayed to stop them breeding. A policy I shall be applying to myself very shortly as well, just to avoid confusion amongst any future spouses.

Cerys xx
  • March 1, 2005 12:02 PM GMT
    The "Ides of March" was a Roman concept, it meant roughly the middle couple of weeks in that month.

In Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" he (Julius) is warned by a soothsayer (why are they always tooth-less?) to "Beware the Ides of March" and lo and behold right on cue he gets stabbed by his old mucker Brutus. I think that's what they call Dramatic irony but I saw it coming a mile off.

Cerys x
    (not sure about the white rabbits thing)
  • March 1, 2005 1:09 PM GMT
    OK, "White rabbits" said on the first of the month to bring good luck .. I managed to trawl this up from the depth of the web ..

"Back in the middle ages as hunters, men needed meat, as well as animal furs to protect them from the harsh winters of Northern Europe. The rabbit was sometimes useful for both purposes, but because the rabbit was viewed as a predator on the very fields that man himself was learning how to cultivate, the elimination of rabbits became a desirable purpose for man the farmer/hunter. In this case, man the hunter was generally man the trapper, and since rabbits were not his only prey, he soon noticed that the taking of a rabbit in a trap was usually a precursor to the taking of other small animals, such as foxes and badgers, that might use the same game trail."

And of course ...

"Tis not but a mere rabbit,
    For where runs the rabbit,
    There 'tis the habit Of running the fox".

Shakespeare again in "All's Well That Ends Well"

Yo get some culture!

Cerys x
  • March 1, 2005 3:06 PM GMT
    ..And never trust a girl with rabbit's ears going on behind her head, oh hang on that's just Pippa pratting about.

Cerys x
    (if you change that icon pic this
    thread will make no sense at all)
    • 456 posts
    March 1, 2005 5:19 PM GMT
    Interesting article Cerys however, I thought you said "White Rabbit(s)" as the first thing said on the first morning of a month to stop another person saying, "A pinch or a punch it's the first in the month." Someone saying this pinches and punches you but you say "White Rabbit(s)" to stop them. Saying "White Rabbit" first stops anyone doing the pinch and the punch. Goodness knows how these things start. By the way did you know that the Romans introduced Rabbits into Britain. The originally came from Spain (lapin=rabbit in French) Spain is a derivation.

As usual full of useless information.
  • March 2, 2005 9:02 AM GMT
    Tina

All that pinching and punching; remind me to keep away from your house at the start of the month, you must be quite bruised this morning.

Cerys x