Glasgow night out

• 3 posts
    March 1, 2005 8:59 AM GMT
    Does anyone out there know where a girl can go in Glasgow? The possibility has arisen that I may be able to get out 'en femme' later this month but I do not have the slightest idea where to go. And if anyone knows and wants to accompany me let me know.
    • 1 posts
    March 20, 2005 11:43 AM GMT
    Dont think Glasgow is much of a place for us girls.

Edinburgh might be better or Manchester Deff

Fiona
  • August 29, 2005 3:00 AM BST
    pardon me for asking, lucy, but where'd u go? i'm from edinburgh... and am not sure of going out for my first time...not sure of where u know? and as far as glasgow is concerned... why not try the gay clubs.. like saide frost's or bennetts? or even the polo lounge? good luck love xx
    • 3 posts
    September 22, 2005 10:02 PM BST
    Hiya,

I was in 'Planet Out' a couple of weeks ago and noticed one of us (M2F in this case) at the bar with a friend. It could be that most didn't notice (she looked pretty good). For those that could tell, they seemed utterly unconcerned.

I was there en-drab but may go back to test the waters myself there sometime.

All the best,
    Angela
    • 3 posts
    May 6, 2006 11:50 AM BST
    Edinburgh does have a tiny bit of a tranny scene. It's just well hidden.

On the third Saturday of the month there is a night called Absolutely Dragulous at the Claremont Bar (http://www.claremontbar.co.uk/), which is nice. They also have another, glam/fetishy, night called Stunners though I haven't been to it yet.

As for other things to do, I enjoyed Club Noir http://www.clubnoir.co.uk/ on Easter Sunday which was a great fun Burlesque night. They run monthly nights in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The 'Easter Parade' flier went like this:

Strict dress code. Cast off your inhibitions. Glam fetish, electric caberet, drag queens, drag kings, dandy, silver screen, vintage, Easter bonnets and dresses and just plain fabulous.

All the best,
    Angela McCallum
    • 1652 posts
    March 20, 2005 12:20 PM GMT
    I've only been to Glasgow once, with my dad to buy me a suit, so that's not much help...
    My first ever night out dressed though was in Edinburgh and it was absolutely lovely, no-one was bothered, and there is a gay-friendly area called the pink triangle where the pubs, clubs and restaurants are well used to the likes of us.
    I don't suppose that's much help either, but I just thought I'd share it.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    August 29, 2005 12:46 PM BST
    Hi Elspeth, it was a year and a half ago so I can't remember any names of the clubs we went to, apart from the one we ended up in - Frenchies (AKA French Connection) on Rose St Lane north. It's just a tiny pub, but as far as we could see it was the only advertised tranny place in the whole of Edinburgh. But I'm sure you will know about the Pink Triangle if you're from Edinburgh, and all the pubs and clubs there are used to seeing all sorts. You'll be fine there so don't worry about a thing. To be honest, I see women dressed as men all the time, so I don't think you're going to shock anyone at all! We went on a Tuesday night, so it was pretty quiet everywhere. I did like Edinburgh, lovely place.
    On my first night out in Manchester (a month later), we met a f2m in "Vanilla", a lesbian bar. He asked if he could join us and I'd just assumed he was a young bloke until he told us, but he had been on hormones for a while. In some ways f2m's have advantages over m2f's with hormones, their beard will grow and their voice will deepen, but unfortunately that doesn't happen in reverse for us types. Surgery is another matter of course...
    He was perhaps the first person that asked me the question, "Why not?" (With regards to transitioning), he had a point, why not indeed? And here I am!
    xx
  • April 30, 2006 11:17 PM BST
    I was out with Lucy on her first night dressed in Edinburgh (my first too). Edinburgh doesn't really have a tranny scene, but the locals seem fairly tolerant. We didn't get any trouble.

As Lucy says, Frenchies is the place to go. This is the only openly tranny-friendly place in Edinburgh. There are lots of tranny-suitable photos on the walls, and the staff treat you as the lady you are.