good news, but a long story...

• March 18, 2005 7:29 AM GMT
    Last march, I first went to see my GP about my gender issues. I didn't go blind, and I knew exactly what was wrong, and what I needed, which was the very reason I went to my GP.

I was referred to a local consultant psychiatrist in june, who referred my to a consultant psychiatrist in Birmingham in August, and refered me for cognitive behavioral therapy in July.

The therapist went off sick, and I first saw her in January of this year. More importantly, I started seeing the doctor in Birmingham, who lied to me on more than on occasion, and asked some very perculiar things of me in relation to my genitalia. He sent a report to my local psychiatrist diagnosing me as gender dysphotic, but added 'though I reccomend a further 18 sessions of intensive psychotherapy to understand the dynamics of his case." In other words, he said he was 99% sure that I have gender dysphoria, but wanted 18 more sessions of intensive psychotherapy with me to be sure, which is complete rubbish, as it has been clear to many friends and health proffesionals that I've seen that I am gender sydphoric, and greatly distressed with it.

Anyway, I recieved a letter from Health Comission Wales ant the beginning of this month saying that they regret to inform me that "intensive psychotherapy is not among the range of funded treatments for gender identity disorders."

When I got that letter, I felt like the whole of the last year of distress and anguish had been wasted and that I was back to square one.

I saw my local psychiatrist last week, and discussed the matter with him. He is going to contact the doctor in Birmingham to see if he is willing to offer further treatment without the psychotherapy, else I am likely to be refered to Charing Cross in London.

When I suggeted to him that It felt like nobody has believed a word I've said for the past year, and that I felt like the whole last year had been wasted he said - this is the good news...

"perhaps a year ago you could say that, but not now."

" you may be back to square one, but you're back to square one in a stronger position, as you know have an official diagnosis of gender dysphoria from two consultant psychiatrists (himself and the one in Birmingham), and I can use that to push for treatment."

When I heared that I almost cried. One of the worst years of my life has past, but at least I have some small thing to show for it.

• 2627 posts
    March 18, 2005 10:43 AM GMT
    It's like that here to. One doc can say what He wants & throw everything off. I was trying to get treatment for something else. After months one added comment at the bottom. Was 3 more yrs before I got real help.