applying to the parliament members

• March 30, 2005 9:27 AM BST
    Today the finnish parliament will decide about the law concerning the gender equality. In spite of arrived opinions it seems that the parliament will not include transsexuals in the law, or better said: we are not mentioned separately. So, transwomen are considered women and transmen are men. But it is not that simple. We may face discrimination, not because we are women or men, but because we have changed our gender. And that IS a difference. I just emailed to a representant of the Greens, Heidi Hautala, whom I have voted many times, and who is one of those who understand our position. I told her in short what it is about and why we are not protected according to the law proposal if not ammended.
    I signed with my name, profession and my employer.

Laura
  • March 30, 2005 9:49 AM BST
    It may be added here that sexual minorities plus cd:s, tg:s and tv:s are already protected against discrimination according a law concerning "discrimination for sexual orientation or expression". They seem to leave us ts:s out of every law...

Laura
  • March 30, 2005 10:03 AM BST
    Good luck Laura

I'm not sure what the law is in Finland but below is a link to the the UK organisation "Liberty" (Formerly the Campaign for Civil Liberties) which gives a fairly comprehensive breakdown of how the law stands in the UK.

http://www.yourrights.org[...]n.shtml

Might be work book-marking for UK girls

Cerys x