The dentist

• April 24, 2005 11:29 AM BST
    Okay, this problem concerns only those in or after transition.
    Others can skip this one.
    I´m trying to decide if I go to my previous dentist, who is a good dentist...but who has seen me ONLY as a man. Now I don´t just look different, but I have a totally different data on my documents. My ex also visits my old dentist and that all made me decide for a new dentist to whom I must explain NOTHING at all.
    One problem will pop out if he/she asks for my dental data from my old dentist, because that data cannot be found on my present name and sex. Then I can either just wonder how come the data cannot be found...or tell the truth. What would you do?

Laura
  • April 25, 2005 6:03 AM BST
    I don´t want to bump into my ex in the waiting room. And I think she doesn´t either that to happen.
    I let her keep the old dentinst and tell her all the stories she wants about her run away ex-husband. Cause I know she has not told anyone about my transition and my showing up at the dentist as a female would embarrash her. And even if she has been real mean to me I don´t want to hurt her.

Laura
    • 25 posts
    April 26, 2005 12:59 AM BST
    Hi Laura,
    I had the same dilemma.
    Remember the privacy of the telephone is a safe avenue of communication. Also the dentists will be wondering why your are calling them, what are your motives. Let them know that you are simply trying to find a dentist who will accept you.
    I decided to call every dentist who accepted my dental plan that was closest to me and asked them a couple questions.
    How do you feel about dealing with the Gay community?
    Would you be willing and accepting to having a Transsexual as a patient?
    You probably have other questions to ask that will satisfy you that they will be a safe place to do business with.
    After I did all of this searching I found a female dentist who she and her staff were completely accepting of me. They were almost across the street form me. so I selected them to take care of my dental needs.
    I hope that I was helpful.
    Rebecca
    • 1652 posts
    April 24, 2005 1:27 PM BST
    I would just tell the truth.
    I'm not planning on changing dentists, he's a good dentist, and kind of cute!
    xx