Some success

• April 26, 2005 5:20 AM BST
    A residential area designed by me (Säterinmetsä, Espoo) was voted by public yesterday in our TV1 the third best new low rise residential area in Finland. I was surprised..although I know that people like it and it has turned into a tourist attraction where tourist buses stop and people come out to make photos.
    Hehe...I gladly share this honour with you all...we are GOOD.

Laura
  • April 26, 2005 5:52 AM BST
    Okay, I´ll look for a couple of pics. It is really no NORMAL residential area. It is funny, colourful and sunny with humour, very far from stereotypical pure ARCHITECTURE. Here people could fulfill their dreams under certain guidelines and guidance given by me. Characteristically not only me, but all the designers of the houses were women. We had a marvellous teamwork with parties in between. Men cannot do things like this.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    April 26, 2005 6:46 AM BST
    I'm happy to hear about this, Laura. And I would love to see some of your work. What you're saying reminds me of the reasons I had for studying architecture.

Linda

• April 26, 2005 8:44 AM BST
    Okay, here are some pics of Säterinmetsä.

Laura
  • April 26, 2005 8:53 AM BST
    Here is the smallest one family house, the house width only 5 meters, the depth of the plot 33meters, the plot size about 150m2. Even this house has a very "own" athmosphere inside and a very nice sheltered backgarden with a terrace, fountain and an apple tree. In the basement there is a wine cellar.
    I know personally all the families who built here, we have spent more than 20 evenings together finding right solutions together.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    April 26, 2005 10:01 AM BST
    Thank you, Laura. Seeing the first picture my mind immediately filled your street with children. And the entrance of the little house - with that drooping curved roof - somehow gave me the impression of - "shy but inviting".
    You are certainly right - men cannot do things like that.

Linda
    • 2627 posts
    April 26, 2005 5:31 AM BST
    Will you let us see it some time. Post a couple of pics. I would love to see your work
    • 2627 posts
    April 26, 2005 1:54 PM BST
    Nicely done Laura. I'm sure coming up with something to please everyone was no simple task. I like the look of the streets.
    Concrete has it's uses but looks so cold & heartless.