Hi, Im new from N.Ireland

• May 1, 2005 8:47 AM BST
    Hi all,

as per the title girls, so go easy on me. Im new to this site and although i have been dressin for a couple of years, im new to tryin to pass myself and was hopin for a little help

Thanks

Alicia
  • May 3, 2005 2:02 AM BST
    Thanx for the welcome girls, well the help im after would be along the lines of make-up and wigs etc, im on a tight budget but obviously want to look realistic.

Make-up, colours and tips to make me look, agai, realistc and not like a 'TV' if ya get my drift!!
    • 2463 posts
    May 1, 2005 1:34 PM BST
    Hi Alicia! What sort of help do you need? We have some pretty talented ladies here at TW, so ask whatever you want and we'll do our best to help you.

Mere
    • 1980 posts
    May 2, 2005 12:47 AM BST
    Hi Alicia!

Welcome to the group, dear. Girl, you have come to the rigtht place because we are just so full of it...help, that is.<lol> Seriously, I think TW is probably the best place on the web for girls like us. Just at a guess, I would say that no matter what TG issue you're facing in your life, one of the girls here has probably been through it and will be willing to share how she dealt with it and what she learned from it. We may have our occasional headbutting contests but all in all you won't find a nicer and more helpful bunch anywhere.

Hope you like it here and I hope you decide to stay.

Hugs, Joni from Oregon
    • 2463 posts
    May 3, 2005 3:57 AM BST
    Alicia, I think Joni was right originally when she said we're all full of it!

How are you about grand larceny? We have a little group here known as the MSS (Meredith's Secret Service). We're staging a raid on Kendra's wardrobe next Saturday.....uh, I mean, sometime down the line when she's not home.

• 1980 posts
    May 3, 2005 1:49 PM BST
    Hi Alicia-

As far as makeup there are a number of excellent books out there as well numerous websites that have step-by-step instructions on picking out the right colors and products and putting them on properly. My favorite books are the ones by Kevyn Aucoin, The Art of Makeup, Making Faces and Face Forward. I just love his work, I think he was a genius and it's so sad that he's dead.

I have a ton of links bookmarked and if you'd like I can send you some of them. And of course there are lots of links here on TW, especially on the Makeup Forum. One thing I think is true is that you just have to mess around with and expirement and practice, practice, practice. Doing makeup is fun and playing with different looks, even ones you wouldn't be caught dead walking out the house wearing, is what it's all about. Don't expect to read a book or look at a website and have your makeup come out perfect the first time. After all, real girls start messing around with makeup about the time they're 8 years old or so and even grown up girls change their looks and try new things all the time. Just have fun with it and go nuts.

One slightly practical tip that my wife gave me is, that if you're just practicing, to buy less expensive (cheap) stuff, like the kind they sell for teenage girls, then once you find a look and combo you like, try to match it with nicer products for the same look.

Well, while I'm rambling on, my feeling about wigs is the same as buying makeup to practice with. If you're looking for "a look", then buy less expensive wigs until you find a style and color you like, then buy a nicer wig like it. One of the fun things about being a t-girl is having several wigs so you can change your looks just like changing a hat. From a long haired red-head to a pixie cut blonde just like that.

Anyway, have fun with it all. I'm sure lots of other girls will be able to give you better tips and ideas than I can.

Hugs, Joni

• 2463 posts
    May 3, 2005 1:52 PM BST
    Hey, come on now, Joni! Take some credit! You know we all admire your fashion sense!