Just a thought

• June 3, 2005 11:48 AM BST
    Shan,

Again I have to disagree with you on the culture part. If Britain has a european culture why is life so very different in the UK to almost everywhere else in Europe? I live in France and the culture here is completely, and I mean completely, different at every level. And having travelled around much of Europe with my work I have experienced many of the cultures and none are similar to that in the UK.

We may live on the continent of Europe, have an Indo-European language, be part of the European Economic Area and European Union but that doesn't mean we have a European culture, in the same way the French, Spaniards, Germans etc don't have a European culture. In fact I don't think there is a European culture as such, we are all different in different ways for it to be classed a culture.

And that stretch of sea did make a big difference, had it not been there we may well be part of a very different Europe today. Possibly even a different world.

I think it is time to put this to bed...let us all embrace our different cultures, languages, nationalities, tribes etc under the common term "Humankind"
    • 1195 posts
    May 27, 2005 12:41 AM BST
    From the looks of things not ot many USA girls know this site exists. I say "USA girls" 'cause Canadians and Mexicans and everyone in this hemisphere is American according to my geography. I digress - what do we consider talking about besides ourselves? Religion and politics are out - we're a polorized nation at present - so we don't want to draw any blood. How about health insurance, buying a home, the price of fuel or the cost of food. My all those subjects are depressing. I got good responses on my question about which ankle to wear the bracelet - how about nail polish - I'm really into nail polish at present - my SO says "you're goofey;"in a loving way. Another burning question - should I darken my makeup during the summer months? - what I wear during the colder months looks a little sick now.Questions- questions
    lol jillian xxxxx
    • 1195 posts
    June 1, 2005 4:31 AM BST
    by golly - I tend to agree with you Tiina - nationality has more to do with identity than geography. I my humble opinion nationality gets the human race into more trouble than it's worth.
    lol
    jillianxxx
  • June 1, 2005 6:11 PM BST
    Hi Cerys,
    With the hole in the ozone layer , that would be "cooked penguin"

Just kidding......

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
  • June 2, 2005 9:15 AM BST
    Telling a Canadian they are American is probably like telling a Scotsman he's English, and likely to illicit the same response (after all most Canadian's have Scottish ancestry!). But I know what you mean, you all live on the continent of North America. Same as we all live on the continent of Europe, doesn't make me European though!

Don't get started on the price of petrol, you have it soooo cheap it's a joke, or the cost of food for that matter. Probably safest to stick to politics!!!

As for nail varnish, if you want to wear it then wear it. I do and have had some great comments about the colours. Normally though I wear just a clear coat to help stop my nails breaking but sometimes I go mad and wear a bright purple. If you want a classic look that can be discrete in boy mode then a simple French manicure works well, classic.
    On the makeup side try to find a foundation that matches the shade of you skin at all times, so as you tan go up a shade maybe 2. I actually have 4 shades I use from light to dark depending on how much sun I have had on my face. Keep to the same make of foundation and you can blend as required.

Alex
    xxx
  • June 2, 2005 8:25 PM BST
    I have to disagree with you there Tiina, saying a Scotsgirl or and Englishgirl is European is like saying a Tasmanian is an Australian. Yes technically, geologically and politically we maybe but culturally we are very different, being island nations off a continent. And most Britons would never consider themselves to be European in anyway shape or form.

I'm Scottish first and British second and possibly Celtic third. European is not a word I would use to describe myself or my heritage.

Just a minor point but one I feel quite strong about.

Alex
    xxxx
    • 364 posts
    June 2, 2005 9:55 PM BST
    Alex

Your posting leaves me more confused than ever. As for my children ? I am of French extraction (father), English (mother. educated in England. My wife is Irish. Our children were born in Scotland. We now consider ourselves Australian. My thoughts - there will never be a united Europe until you all call yourselves European. It will be a long process achieving that as most inhabitants are very nationalistic. Tribal inheritance ?

Hugs
    Joanne
    • 1195 posts
    June 3, 2005 3:38 AM BST
    Joanne - good point. One day, some time in the future, people will forget about the nationality label and learn to live with each other. Some think that's a crazy thought but I believe it's the only way we, as the human race, can survive.
    lol jillian xxxxxx
    • 1195 posts
    June 3, 2005 3:48 AM BST
    Alex - I know the price of fuel is higher elsewhere but just think we used to buy gasoline for 33cents a gallon. The USA was pretty much self sufficient -at one time- and all has changed - mores the pitty - some here are advocating that fuel go to $4 per gallon then maybe the powers that be will insist on better autos and more alternate energy. But we're not holding out collective breath. Did you ever read the Dune series? It's the spice.
    jillian xxxx
  • June 3, 2005 10:10 AM BST
    Joanne,

You and your family have adopted Australia as your home and now call yourselves Australian, which is great. But would you consider calling someone from New Zealand Australian because they live on the same continental plate? Just because you live on the American continental plate it doesn't make you an American, neither does living on the European plate make you European.
    The continents (geologically speaking) are a completely different concept to nations or regions and their respective identities. If you want to be technically correct unless you are Native American, Inuit or Aborigine you are still an European. And if we go further back we are all Africans. Confused? we certainly should be!

History suggests there will never be a truly united Europe, just look at what happened in Yugoslavia. One country, 7 peoples, at least 3 religions and how many years of hatred and killing? Lets just keep Europe a community of like minded countries working together, safer in the long run I think.
    Yes there is an element of the tribe but then mankind is a tribal animal, maybe its time to resolve differences between tribes and work together, but that is different from uniting tribes. Co-operation is the key.
  • June 3, 2005 10:21 AM BST
    Jillian,

mmmm wonder if my V6 would run on the spice?? Home to Toulouse in the blink of an eye, cool.

I'm not sure what the tax situation in US is for petrol (gas) but in the UK approximately 80% of the price we pay at the pump is tax. The UK oil industry supplies more than enough to meet UK demand and we are actually an exporting nation. OK we import some to meet the heavy end fraction demand but for light petrol ends we are more than self sufficient.
    Here is the killer...without the tax we could pay 16pence a litre = 60.2pence /USgallon = $1.08/gallon but with tax we pay around 80pence a litre = $5.49/gallon (US)
    So you can see why, sometimes, it gets a little annoying to hear USA complaining about high gas prices. Try filling your Hummer at those prices, bet you'd soon switch back to a Nissan Micra!!

Should we change subjects back to politics?!?!?

Alex
    xxx
    • 1198 posts
    June 3, 2005 11:50 AM BST
    I know its deviating a bit and its been metioned before, but have you seen the amount of labels being used here.......quite a few.

As for the are we or aren't we European or Austrailian or Amreican, i think you all have valuble points.........hugz Julie xx
  • June 3, 2005 12:38 PM BST
    Shan,

You said it yourself, and I quote "both are still European (and recognisably European) cultures."

That is exactly my point there is no such thing as a definte European culture. With such variation amongst the nations of Europe there is no way anyone can say there is a European culture. We have a british culture same as the Swede's have a swedish culture, the French a french one etc etc etc ad nauseam.

I'm not going to argue anymore on this, I've said my piece. I might live and work in Europe, on the European continental plate but that does not a European make me. I'll emmigrate and become an Australian or Canadian before that happens.
  • June 3, 2005 12:48 PM BST
    Yes Lucy, very true and consider my wrist suitably slapped. However it did all start with 'don't call a Canadian an American just because she lives in North America' so it's not so much hijacked more zoomed off on a tangent.

I promise not to carry on.

So back to price of petrol then........
    • 2627 posts
    May 27, 2005 12:43 PM BST
    When you go to forums USA UK GERMANY are not listed as such. So unless you want them & allready know about them you wont see them. Untill they introduced the drop menus I'd forgot about them.
  • June 1, 2005 5:21 PM BST
    "everything between Alaska and Patagonia is America."

.. and the poor people of Tierra del Fuego what are they .. penguins?

.. just teasing

Cerys xx
  • June 1, 2005 7:02 PM BST
    Ahh the displaced Welsh of South America .. but it's true, you were right the first time with Patagonia, if anyone cares here's some more info ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lega[...]x.shtml

Cerys x
    (mine of useless information)
  • June 3, 2005 11:51 AM BST
    Father: Londoner, Mother: Welsh, Born in Ireland

What does that make me..?

"A woman of the world"

Cerys xx
    (Heading for the coat rack)
    • 1652 posts
    June 3, 2005 12:44 PM BST
    girls you have hijacked the usa forum to debate what it means to be called european and so on. who bloody cares?!
    i am lucy: kendalian, cumbrian, english, european, earthonian... call me what you like, as long as it begins with miss.
    xx
  • June 3, 2005 1:31 PM BST
    I did a Google search for Euro-girl and it came up with this ..

Perhaps it's time to emmigrate?

Shan I get what you're saying; there is a Common European Heritage that stems from a shared Greco-Roman cultural history, but within that there are distinct regional differences. But I don't think that calling yourself European in any way diminishes your Scottishness or Frenchness or Latvian-ness. I certainly don't think of myself as "British" and the sight of the Union Jack inspires nothing more than unease and distrust in me, but maybe that's because it has been hi-jacked by the wrong sort too often. And I'm certainly not English other than by accident.

I shall leave the last word with George Bernard Shaw ..

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you just happen to have been born in it. "

Cerys xx
    (30% Kernow, 30% Celt, 30% Anglo-saxon, 10% preservative)