Something Happend at work...!

• 7 posts
    June 5, 2005 4:31 PM BST
    Hi all
    I thought I'd better tell you about something that happened at work this week.
    It's something that has left both my colleague and me a little shaken, unnerved and shocked.

I assisted in the discovery of a suicide. A young male had hung himself. He was dead when we found him. And pronounced dead after the paramedics had attempted to revive him.
    It is quite unnerving to discover something like that.

My company has offered counselling. Which I'm going to take. I need to talk to someone.

I am alright. Just a little shaken. They gave me Tuesday(31/05/05) off. So I could chill and take stock.
    My Boss even phoned me to see how I was feeling.
    I'm still a little shaken, but it's getting easier.

Hugs
    Maria
    • 7 posts
    June 5, 2005 7:51 PM BST
    Hi
    Thak you for replying Mere...
    Help... All that's required is that I can talk about what happend. Hence the post here...
    I've been told talking helps...

I've been talking about it a lot.

Hugs

Maria
  • June 6, 2005 8:05 AM BST
    Maria,

That sounds like a horrible experience, it must have been very shocking for you. I hope that you have taken up on that offer of counselling and that you are beginning to feel better now after talking about it. We are always here to listen of course.

Big Hugs,

Katherine xx
  • June 6, 2005 9:46 AM BST
    Maria,

Having been in a similar situation; First Aid on a heart attack and watching the guy die, I kind of know what you are feeling. Finding someone who has taken their own life, or watching someone lose the fight is a terrible thing and you think "could I have done more?" In many cases probably not, you did what you could at the time.

Make use of the counselling to get the feelings out and shared. Tell them what you think, feel etc and it will help. Just wish I had been offered it. And don't be afraid to contact the family and go to the funeral, sometimes you need closure, it helped me. If you want to chat with someone who has been through similar feel free to contact me.

Take care and don't be afraid to cry or talk about how you feel, bottling it up only makes it worse.

Alex
    xxx
    • 2463 posts
    June 5, 2005 4:38 PM BST
    Maria, that is awful! Of course you're unnerved. That is to be expected. Is there anything we can do to help? Take care.

Mere
    • 1980 posts
    June 5, 2005 7:59 PM BST
    Oh, Maria <big hug>, that's terrible and as Meredith said, of course you're unnerved and upset, anyone would be. Please do attend the counseling, it will help, I speak from experience.

Best wishes and lots of hugs. We're here for you.

Hugs, Joni
    • 2068 posts
    June 6, 2005 11:51 AM BST
    maria,what a truly awful experience for you! I can't even begin to imagine how that made you feel. you should take up the offer of counselling as it WILL help you get over it.Of course you also have everyone here to talk to as well if you need us.When one of our good sisters is down,then we all rally round to try and help.You take care honey...love,hugs and xxx anna-marie