Network Problems

• June 7, 2005 11:26 AM BST
    OK, technical heads on all as I have a problem with my home network which try as I might I can't work out.

Right here's the set up:

1x desktop PC - Win XP SP2, ADSL Connection to Internet and Fast Ethernet 10/100mbps Network Card.
    1x Laptop PC - Win XP SP2, Fast Ethernet 10/100mbps Network Card, 1394 Net Adapter and Wireless Connection (last 2 are disabled)

Network was set up using the Network Wizard and worked fine until I changed the laptop and reset it all. The Desktop is the PC with the direct connection to the internet and the Laptop connects via it. Well that is how it is supposed to work but every two days it all resets itself on its own and switches the computers around. Annoying but easily adjusted back. The big problem is although the computers can obviously "see" each other for the internet they can't "see" each other for file transfers etc. I keep getting the message that the network is not available. What is most annoying about this is it worked for one day then the network reset itself and I can't get it back.

So any ideas on how to reset it all and start again, or how to fix the problem of the "network not available". the resetting I can deal with but the file transfer means I can't back up the desktop via the laptops DVD burner.

Cheers

Alex
    xxx
    • 338 posts
    June 7, 2005 9:01 PM BST
    got something similar meself, though with an actual server. In effect ya desktop has TWO netowrk connections and is acting as a gateway.

i find setting the IP addresses manually works very well for this sort of thing, you will probably find that your desktop wants to set its IP address via windows if you let XP handle the internet sharing. The problems can be when DHCP gets involved, then alot can depend on the order things swap around in.

i'd have a look at the network settings boxes in the control panel on both machine when everythings working, take notes. then try turning automatic configuration 'off' and setting things manually.

networks and windows can be a real pain, you need to find a way of making one machine think its more important, so the other doesn't argue with it.
  • June 8, 2005 1:34 PM BST
    Thanks for the pointers I will try to have a look inside the gubbins and try and see what I can screw up!!

As for the way things are set up the 2 computers are linked via a network cable through the network cards but whether it is peer to peer or not I couldn't tell you (I no speaka da lingo!)

What is annoying is I got it all to work once, exactly as planned but as soon as the Desktop decided to reset the network (which as I said it does with frightening regularity) I haven't been able to get access to any of the shared drives on either computer from either.

Not sure if this might help explain but when I switch the laptop off the little network icon comes up with the "network cable unplugged" message and then after the laptop is off comes back up with "network cable connected". Don't ask me how as I thought if the computer was off the network was disconnected. This also results in the network settings going screwy as well from time to time.

I have to say there have been times when I have considered a complete reboot of both computers and starting form scratch but then I remember I can't backup my desktop until I get the network access sorted....aaahhh!!!
  • June 8, 2005 2:59 PM BST
    Well well well! Not sure what I did but something has worked. I can now access all the shared folders on both computers both ways. Here's hoping it stays like this.

Thanks for the help, I know where to turn if it all goes 'Pete Tong' again.
    • 456 posts
    June 7, 2005 3:41 PM BST
    Alex

I assume that you have the two connects via a wire through the network 10/100 ports. How is your local network confugured? Is it peer to peer or are you trying to use a virtual server?

Look at the network connections and see whatb is loaded in

My Networks - right click - properties. File and printer sharing need to be enabled to share files between the computers

Email me for further help hon

Tina