My mother joined me at Utah Pride!

• 539 posts
    June 12, 2005 11:38 PM BST
    I know I haven't been here so much lately - my life has been rather busy and I have been branching out a bit, exploring other aspects of my identity. But I wanted to come in here and tell of a great event in my life.

This weekend was the GLBT Pride festival in Salt Lake City. This is the third year I have participated, but this year was different. My mother, coincidentally, happened to be visiting for a family reunion which will take place later in the week. I told her about Pride, and she was excited to attend it with me!

Last night, we marched in the Dyke March, which is an annual protest march including lesbians and our supporters. In spite of the rain, there was a large crowd. We started in City Creek Park (State St. and North Temple) and marched to the City & County Building (200 E and 400 S), taking over the streets as we went! The distance was just under a mile. My mother was right there beside me. She remarked that I was the most feminine-looking person there! Yes, I am outwardly very feminine, but on the inside I am a fiercely independent, radical-feminist butch! One cannot necessarily judge a person from outward appearance alone.

This morning, we were in the Pride Parade, which - amazingly - is the second-largest parade in Utah. We joined the local transgender group's entry. Basically, the theme was a historical tie with the early 20th-century suffragettes. I was wearing historical clothing, and I held one of the banners at the front of the group. Again, my mother marched along beside me.

At the Pride festival later, and during the parade and the Dyke March, my mother met many of my transgendered friends, and she got along with them very well. She is the sort of person who doesn't judge people by narrow ideology or outward appearance, and I am truly fortunate to have her. So many parents are unsupportive. But it doesn't have to be that way, as my experience shows.

The Pride Festival is perhaps the most important annual event in my life, and I was elated to be able to share it with my mother this year.

She will be here for a week, and I am looking forward to spending some time with her, and to the family reunion on Thursday. (The rest of my family is very supportive as well.)

Heather Harrison
    • 1198 posts
    June 13, 2005 9:11 AM BST
    Heather,

thats great news, wow i wouldn't mind my mum being like your's......well she mught do one day!!!!. I'm glad you're mum shared your day with you......hugz Julie xx
  • June 13, 2005 9:16 AM BST
    Great, Heather

I would be glad if my mom would just go with me for a coffee.
    But she has chosen the policy not to see me.

Laura
    • 2627 posts
    June 13, 2005 1:32 AM BST
    Wow I don't know how to reply to that. It all sounds so great.
    Your mom sounds like a keeper. would you be willing to share her.