London...

• 338 posts
    July 10, 2005 7:33 PM BST
    Bin down to London today, i'll post the good bits some other time.

On my way back I paused at Kings Cross, I was going to take a picture, but in a way thats hard to define taking one picture would have been to many, yet theres no way I could take enough to describe the feeling of that moment of quiet.

It has been noted that many people share the feelings of the british over this, sorry people you don't the events in New York a few years back are a different league, this type of low level attack will never have that effect. I'm not going to go into the reasons here, there are to many.

dispite this, your feelings are welcomed at this time, true understanding of any country from outside it is not possible, but the willingness to try means so much more than words can express.

One girls tribute.

May no retailiations for this attack take place, too many people have suffered already. nothing will bring these people back, nothing can remove the scars on the minds of the survivours. causing more suffering however well intentioned will not change that.

May the dead reast in peace.

• July 11, 2005 4:00 AM BST
    While I can't speak for claire, I think she was talking about ho and low levels of attack in terms of their scale.

While I do agree that one victim is one too many, this attck in London seemed to be aimed mopre towards making a point than towards total devastation on the scale of 9/11. It could have been much worse. I acctually remarked at the time that the explosions could have carried on all day (and that worried me).

9/11 was kida like terroists starting a war. This was a terrorists warning by comparison.
    • 338 posts
    July 11, 2005 7:16 PM BST
    high & low.. actually didn't spot that refernece.. i try to be clever with the language but failed.

amazing isn't it the pure emotion just standing somewhere can cause.

nothing meant by the high and low level bits, well cept i guess i the grand scheme of things flying a couple of airliners into buildings is likely to be remembered longer, that was a day the world changed.

it says a lot just how 'normal' London was, even two days after the blasts. It could have been much worse, but as rhia pointed out this was a warning shot. New York was in a different league.

Brits have suffered this kind ofthing before, not on this scale, though we have come close.

I was asked a few years ago by an elderly American gent where the little bin was on Derby station (i wus wearing the official orange so i guess he thought i worked there). he had trouble comprehending the answer, you see for those outside the UK there generally are no bins on uk stations, nor the underground. mostly since someone thought it would be a good way to blow part of manchester up a few years before.

for a country being hit by these kind of people is like being part of a club, it saddened me to see American join that club, at the hands of one of thier own, then New york happened..

I don't believe in revenge, nor blaming clutures and nations. but i do belive in finding the people responsible, both for the act and the planning.

The brutal gunning down of prime minister Olof Palme is just another example.

London 2005
    Madrid 2004
    New york 2001
    Olof Palme 1986
    and god alone knows how many more, including ones the west never hears about.. they are all as one, all equal, only the statistics change.

one life or a thousand they all leave people behind.