Photographic Advice

• July 11, 2005 10:28 AM BST
    OK I'm no expert but having wandered through the galleries recently I'd like to pass on a few tips for making the most of your pictures.

Perhaps the hardest thing to get right is the camera position, especially if you don't have a tripod, but ideally you want to get the camera in a position so it is almost looking down slightly on you. This helps reduce the double chins and adam's apple.
    If you don't have a tripod then use a pile of CD cases or books on a table to achieve this, or rest the camera on a shelf whatever gives you enough height. Take a few test pics to check everything is good before starting. Sometimes a coin under the back of the camera is enough to change the angle.

Try to chose a neutral backdrop if you can, like a plain wall or a door as this will concentrate the viewer on the subject ie You. To much clutter in the background distracts from the picture and defeats the purpose. Clutter also reflects and distorts the light, causes wierd shadows and lighting effects so best avoided.
    With lighting it is far better to use natural light where possible, if not possible try to ensure the area you are posing in is lit as much as possible using soft lighting if possible. Harsh lighting washes out colours and isn't nice. Make sure your lighting falls from as many angles as possible to reduce unwanted shadows.
    If your camera has a portrait setting try using it as this will adjust any flash to compensate and should help reduce the risk of red eye. The other way to reduce red eye is not to look directly at the camera, sounds mad but you just look slightly to one side and it changes the line of reflection from the retina - no red eye!

Finally, for now, is the posing. Try to relax and smile, after all you are supposed to be enjoying yourself. Think about how you want to stand, sit whatever first and try it first to check, nothing worse than rushing to beat the self timer. If you have a camera with remote then it's easier as you can just take pics as you pose and not have to keep getting up and down.
    Try not to stand ramrod straight with your hands doing nothing as they look far to forced a pose. It is better to turn slightly and almost look over a shoulder with your hands relaxed, same for sitting poses really. And remember to smile! A smile makes the photo really.

The real secret is practice, find a good place to take the photos, get your camera position and settings worked out with lighting and you'll get the best results. And if they don't look quite right - a little dark say, you can always make a few tweaks with Photoshop or similar.

Hope that helps girls, and guys too. Don't be afraid of the camera and feel free to ask questions.

Alex
    xxxx
  • July 11, 2005 7:20 PM BST
    Alexandra, This looks like really good information. Now I'd like to add a question to it. I hate camera flashes and consequently always close my eyes. It takes a lot of snaps to catch me with open eyes unless I'm caught doing something other than posing - as in my pic on here. How can we get a 55 year old spring chicken to keep her eyes open for the camera> Any tips would be welcome.
    Thanking all of you in anticipation.

June
    XXXXXX
  • July 12, 2005 10:29 AM BST
    June,

Sarah's advice is a good idea as it will take your concious off the camera, one of the reasons candid shots always get people acting natural - they don't realise the camera is there.

The other thing you could try doing is blink everytime the selftimer beeps and hold your eyes open for the last one, in theory you shouldn't blink when the flash goes off. Sometimes in practice it doesn't work but once you get into the hang of it it becomes second nature.
    I have very light sensitive eyes (excellent night vision) and find bright flashes, such as a camera's, can sometimes actually hurt so I had to learn not to flinch at the flash. It can be done but takes a little practice.

Hope that helps

Alex
    xxxx
  • July 12, 2005 3:09 PM BST
    Well girls thanks for the tips and I promise to let you know how I get on. The only snag with using the camera on self timer on top of the telly is that there is hardly anything worth watching these days. But I must give it a try soon. I suppose the other way is to get belinda to just pop up with the camera and catch me unawares.
    Ta very much, June
    • 338 posts
    July 12, 2005 9:08 PM BST
    most of my pics taken either by the fridge or a printer paper tray.... they better at photography than me, but the look to one side point & smile is a must..

ya sees way to many people with straight faces, or even worse frowns.. lighten up peeps! enjoy!