TransFest, A fest 4 the trans community

• July 11, 2005 11:58 AM BST
    A place where we can meet once a year to celebrate who we are. I'm so sick and tired of the shame that come from feeling different. I know I shouldn't feel it but the society I grew up in is still ignorant of who we are, leaving me with the feeling that I am not normal. While that may be true its not an acceptable reason for the pain and misery that I read about so often on these boards (I know I don't post much but I've been coming here for years). Most trans people are kinder and more caring than those trying to oppress a natural thing.

Enough!

I'm only out to my wife and a few very close friends so am a huge hypocrite. Why? for the reasons I just said and I'm not strong enough to stand up and say "hey I look great in a dress!" and I really do

With the strength of my wife I may one day be able to but will need to search my heart for the reasons and the benefits, but again why should I not be as free as any non-trans person?

In the immortal words of Martin Luther King "I have a Dream" I want us to organise our own festival.

My inspiration for this is the Minesota Womens Festival and Camp Trans. It's close but I feel this isn't the right thing for me to do. A demonstration regarding the women only festival is not where I want to be. I want to be part of a a simple festival, a celebration of who we are.

I need your help. If you are interested in making this dream a reality you must participate.

What can you do? We will have to solve a 1000 problems to make this really happen. Think of the issues and together we can solve them.

I have registered the domain name http://www.TransFest.com but have yet to build the site. That's something I can do.

We need to find a venue. Does anyone own a few acres of land that we can use?

Who has access to a sound system or portable stage? Finding bands to play will not be a problem, I've been organsing music nights for about 2 years and the only issue I usually have is geting everyone to play before the evening ends! We are sure to have a whole barrel full of talent in the trans community too.

How good would this be? A festival to celebrate all aspects of being trans, organsied and run by the trans community and even the entertainment provided by us trannies.

People, place and a few tunes is the absolute basic requirements.

The other requirement is support, Katie you hold the key here if you back this, it will happen, and I hope we'll both make new friends in the process If you do I'll back you too and become a full member

WE CAN DO THIS!!

If I'm wrong and a place to celebrate who we are is not what we all want please tell me. I will dedicate myself to making this happen if there is a need for it.

Stacy