fashion from the 70s and 80s

• 614 posts
    August 2, 2005 9:03 PM BST
    ok some 1 help me i cant decide wot to wear sat nite for summer madness at tx , themes sounds from the 70s and 80s so we all aiming to dress in the theme any 1 got any idea`s
  • August 3, 2005 9:35 AM BST
    Christina,

Rather than go with the usual fashion disaster that is the "decade that taste forgot" and its cousin the 80's why not go as something a little different.

The 70's and 80's were also the era of the Punks, Bikers, Rockers and (dare I say it???) the New Romantics.

So ditch the kaftan, backcomb your barnet and spray it green, pull on your best punk trousers and lace up your 22 hole DM's PERFECT!!!

Or dig out the denim waistcoat, throw it on over your bikers jacket, dig out a black t-shirt and a pair of tight black jeans, slip on a pair of basketball boots and find your air guitar, EVEN BETTER!!!

Just remember the 70's were just about bad taste and hippies.

Alex
    xxxx
  • August 3, 2005 6:08 PM BST
    Alexandra,

How could you say the 70's were about Bad Taste and Hippies?

You forgot the mantra Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll.

He, He....Just Kidding.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn

• August 3, 2005 7:40 PM BST
    OOPS!

That should have read "weren't just about bad taste and hippies"

stupid fingers!!

Alex
    xxx
    • 338 posts
    August 3, 2005 9:04 PM BST
    "Kids from fame"

the prosecution rests...
    • 124 posts
    August 3, 2005 10:15 PM BST
    you all forget one fashion from the 70s and thats GLAM, Sweet, Gary Glitter, Marc Bolan, Slade, sorry girls but for me, the 70s was the best era.
    • 166 posts
    August 5, 2005 12:29 AM BST
    wow- what are the odds? The ad banner above this thead has a listing- "Funky 70's Shoes and Boots" sounds like an omen-hehe,,, I like to check eBay "vintage" sometimes, some deals are there,,though dated?
    • 124 posts
    August 5, 2005 12:35 PM BST
    yes Karen, there were long skirts. you had the midi, which was about calf length, and the maxi, which was ankle length.
  • August 5, 2005 2:16 PM BST
    Christina
    Having been born in 1950 you would think I'd remember the 70's but I spent from 1966 to 1977 in the army (everything was green) and all I can remember of the 70s was hot pants and the mini growing into maxi skirts. ABBA and glam rock also covered the period. Men wore make up during that time. lol

June
    • 2627 posts
    August 3, 2005 1:26 PM BST
    Thinking back the biggest style fad of th 70's was disco.
    Nice hair & shoes for the girls. Some of the outfits weren't to bad. What was the style of the 80's. I can't realy remember one.
    • 2463 posts
    August 3, 2005 8:12 PM BST
    Why not just go in your birthday suit? Nudity was becoming a lot more acceptable during the 70s.
    • 2627 posts
    August 4, 2005 4:46 AM BST
    Laura if the skirts were long I don't want to remember.
    Mere kind of hard to evan be a bad looking tranny nude.
    Our Chris is one of the better looking ones. But nude never pass.
    • 2463 posts
    August 5, 2005 1:52 PM BST
    Karen, for some reason that never crossed my mind. Whoops.

I'd go for the punk look then - ripped jeans and t-shirt a la The Ramones!
    • 2627 posts
    August 5, 2005 2:07 PM BST
    Wasn't there glitter rock.You could dress like David Bowie.
    I never knew if he was in drag or not. Buit he probly was since I liked some of his outfits.