How big is our tent?

• 20 posts
    August 12, 2005 4:22 AM BST
    It seems the search is on for new members, and an idea occurred to me. In the course of my online day, it seems that I can hit any number of sites, all for the purpose of visiting a bit with friends I've made throughout the TG world. It seems I'm always explaining something someone said on one site, to someone on another. I would love it if I were able to bring them all together in one place, and it would certainly streamline my time a bit if I could. It's quite a varied group really. I'm proud that my friendship base is wide and varied. I have friends that are Doms and Dommes, and some that identify as subs. Many from across the spectrum of TG life, everything from the occasional wearer of panties to postop transsexuals. Some are deeply closeted, others are full time. There are GGs and admirers, some are in business, others the arts, and even someone deeply involved in the research of hormones at the university level as a tenured professor. Some enjoy blogging, others posting to forums and some prefer to express their opinions via chat. They are all different, but they are all united in one special way. They all share an interest in the TG world. They all have opinions and experiences that they enjoy sharing, and they all have something to offer. I bring this up in a thread because I'm interested in feedback from a wide variety of members. It would make little sense to try and assemble them on a site that finds them too different from the prevailing norm, and of course, I would want them to feel comfortable about exchanging thought with the established membership. So, you tell me fellow members. Is there room here?
    • 71 posts
    August 12, 2005 8:24 AM BST
    OK, I've got a question for you girls, something which has niggled me for a while now.
    How do you really feel about GGs & SOs contributing on this site?
    I worry that you may feel that we really shouldn't be here, that the site should be more exclusively for yourselves, or am I just paranoid?
  • August 12, 2005 10:21 AM BST
    Solange,

If the "tent" gets a little small we'll just put up an extension or buy a bigger one, perhaps a marque or circus big top!!

The way I see it is all are welcome to visit, if they decide it is not for them there is no obligation to stay but if they like what they find they will be made welcome and made to feel an integral part of our community. The more the merrier I say.

Gillian,

The same goes for GG's and SO's, their input is more than welcome. One of the things I have noticed from SO posts is a wanting for information, support and help. If we can help each other and reduce the lack of knowledge about our world that is a good thing and a problem shared is a problem halved as the saying goes.

The only rule is Be Nice and Respect Others (OK that's 2 but who is counting).

Alex
    xxxx
    • 71 posts
    August 12, 2005 10:45 AM BST
    Thanx, Alexandra!
    Sarah & I are both members of the community, but I use it far more than her. The main thing I get from here (apart from meeting some great girls) is the opportunity to get information & advice for Sarah on a whole host of things. I guess that before I found Trannyweb, it was a struggle trying to find solutions & resources, but since joining I've been able to point Sarah in trhe right direction so she can feel less hopeless in the quest for such things as hair removal/minimisation, etc..
    I hope also that I can share some of my girly experiences with you & that uncertain SOs will feel that they can contact me for advice & reassurance, but then surely that's the whole purpose of this site?
  • August 12, 2005 9:08 PM BST
    Hi Gillian,

Regarding the GG and SO question you raised.....

I think it is great that they ARE included. Although privacy is an issue for some, we special girls need to have input from various facets of life.

An understanding of what GGirls think of their TG friends, Parents such as Dorthy Huchinson of her daughter, and Significant Others views and concerns help us
    better equip ourselves to relating to each of these groups. In navigating life, getting insights on what others think can be invaluable.

TW has proven time after time to be a safe forum for these type of interactions. I can't remember any instances of any problems, and have received some great advise.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 20 posts
    August 14, 2005 9:14 PM BST
    Wendy, I sometimes blog on another site and I wrote one a month or so ago on fairness to admirers. I'm trying to figure out how to import some of these blogs to this site. Though they were written in reference to events on another site, some of the themes are also appropriate to this site.
    • 2627 posts
    August 12, 2005 5:12 AM BST
    Of course theres room. We have privet sections if people want to talk about certain things. We have a fantacy section if they like telling stories. We have something for everyone.
    I will only speak for myself but yes I will welcome your friends.
    • 2068 posts
    August 12, 2005 9:17 AM BST
    of course there's room here solange...the more the merrier! love and xxxxx anna-marie
    • 2068 posts
    August 12, 2005 9:20 AM BST
    let me tell you gillian, i feel that GG's and SO's are more than WELCOME here!.after all they deserve help & support too. I guess you'll find lots more here that feel the same way as i do. love and xxx anna-marie
    • 1652 posts
    August 12, 2005 2:33 PM BST
    "How do you really feel about GGs & SOs contributing on this site?"
    I think it's wonderful that you and others contribute to this site. I'd like to see more of it. For us to become better accepted we need to open up to the world in general, shutting out SO's etc would do us no good at all. This is not an exclusive club for trannies only, it is a site dedicated to raising awareness and understanding of all things transgender-related.
    Gillian, you are hugely welcome here, as is anyone who wishes to support, or needs support, or wishes to learn more or is just curious.
    Please don't feel you shouldn't be here, for without the likes of you we might just as well be a club in a backstreet in Soho that requires a secret knock to get in.
    Not the image we wish to purvey at all!
    xx
    • 2127 posts
    August 12, 2005 6:12 PM BST
    Let me echo what the the girls have already said. We need more people who can bring something to the party whether they are tops, bottoms or inbetweenies.

We would welcome more TG professionals who are actually properly qualified to talk about things like hormones and medical issues. Our girls who give advice at present, generally have first hand experience as patients but while welcome, that is still no substitute for medical qualifications.

And yes Gillian, we love GG's. We love GG's so much that most of us want to be you, if you get my meaning.

We have had a forum dedicated specifically to Significant Others (what an awful term) for a long time but we do need people to contribute to it, with questions and with advice for those for which this TG thing is new and worrying.

If you fancy being a moderator on the SO's forum, please let me know.

So in conclusion Solange, the answer to your question appears to be a resounding YES!!!

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 1980 posts
    August 13, 2005 12:13 AM BST
    Hi Solange and Gillian and everyone else who posted on this thread. Personally, I feel anyone and everyone who has an interest in learing more about what being transgendered is all about is welcome. Whether they are personally involved or are a family member or friend or SO of someone who's TG.

Perhaps I may have missed it, but I've never seen anyone told that they could not be a part of TW because of their gender or orientation. Not that we always get along pefectly, we have our share of catfights over all sorts of issues and sometimes we rub each other the wrong way, sometimes by accident and sometimes on purpose. But the door is always open to anyone who wants to walk in and be a part of our community.

And as far as GG's and SO's being part of it, I wish we had more. Personally I love "real" girls, some of my very best friends are women, heck, I even married one.

And I want to say being part of TW has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I have made so many friends here and learned so much about TG issues and who I am and where I would like to be. You're all great and I hope TW continues to grow.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2573 posts
    August 14, 2005 2:18 AM BST
    It seems to me that we have two choices. 1.) Accept all of those whose lives are transgendered, are affected by those who are transgendered, or wish to learn about or help those who are transgendered...........or........ 2.) the second choice is to decide which groups we will reject based on their "unacceptable" behavior. For example, we might shun those TG folk who are also involved in BDSM interests. We could ban those CDs who are heterosexual for "playing" at being TG and shouldn't we get rid of those persons whose interests focus on a particular part of female clothing, such as stockings, shoes or panties for being mere "fetishists."? And lord help those TAs who are, horrors, actually attracted to us the way many males are attracted to ggs....sexually...and don't have the social skills to always approach us in the manner we would like. (There are so many that is its tempting to miss the fact that they do NOT find us repulsive or sick or bizarre, yet we, perhaps, do not grant them some acceptance in their own need for acceptance., knowing that ggs deal with the same issue with heterosexual males)

-----------------no matter who we "lock out" we are risking denying someone a chance to learn about us, themselves and grow.....and to learn more about ourselves. The larger our "group" the more chance we have to force social/political/legal changes. We need the support of everyone we can get to the polls to vote for change and who will speak out against discrimination against TG folk. I game, and the term "that's gay" gets thrown around a lot as a negative comment. An amazing number of players object to it's use as abusive. There is a lesson to be learned here.

I'm in favor of accepting anyone who does not disrupt the use of the site for others. We can deal with those people who do disrupt on a case-by-case basis. Renee Reyes site
    has a wonderful area to educate admirers in how to "court" T girls. Perhaps we need to approach some of our problem chatters the same way. "HOW TO CHAT UP A T-GIRL SUCCESSFULLY."

http://www.reneereyes.com[...]ro.html

To sum it up, I don't want to push away someone because they are a professional Dom, a horny TA, a psychology student interested in becoming a gender therapist, a woman who is fearful of being labeled "lesbian" because she finds a MtF cross dresser attractive, or a brother who is trying to understand his TS brother who wants to be his sister. It's not what you are that matters.... it’s how you behave toward others here at TW.

• 1980 posts
    August 14, 2005 3:58 AM BST
    What Wendy said.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2573 posts
    August 15, 2005 7:27 AM BST
    Those blogs on Admireres would be very interesting to read, Solange.

Maybe the S.O. Forum is not exactly the place for TA's to discuss themselves and us.....you know, among our wives, mothers and sisters (gg flavor). Maybe it's time we had a TA Forum for them to talk about what they need to in their own way. They can start threads by horndogs and others by gentlemen (and ladies) and they can have great disagreements and fights among themselves....the way we do....and find themselves through the same trials of fire and ice that we put each other through. Surely there will be some among them who will lead some of the others to find the real selves they have inside and do not yet know.