Monitoring the Chat - how you can help

• August 18, 2005 9:53 AM BST
    Hi girls and boys

As you know we have a team of monitors who patrol the chatroom and work hard to make it the safe and friendly place we all know and love. We must be doing a fine job as many members, both girls and boys, have said they come to our room just for that reason and because we chat about absolutely anything and everything, unlike some other rooms.

Just like the real "thin blue line" we can not be everywhere all the time and we rely on the help and information from you the regular user to do our job. We can only monitor what we see.

I would ,therefore, like to ask each and every user of the chatroom to inform a monitor (if present) of any problems they are having within the room. If we don't know we can not act. It might just need a quiet word in the offenders ear and normallity is resumed or we may need to take further action. You do have the power to ignore a disruptive chatter yourself and sometimes that is all it needs, don't be scared of PMing any of the monitors, that is what we are there for.
    If there is not a monitor present and you witness a problem try to get as much detail as possible; ideally the offenders username (could be tricky with the profile button problem), if that isn't possible then time, date, persons involved and nature of problem and email that to me at [email protected] word can be passed around the monitors office and we can keep our ears peeled.

We have worked hard to make this chatroom the place it is and want to keep it that way. together we can.

Thank you

Alex
    xxxx
  • August 22, 2005 1:09 PM BST
    Oh and just to confirm that the above goes to the boys as well.

There have been a couple of occasions when decent. polite guys have been hounded by some girls. In my book that is not on and you have the same protection from the monitors as anyone else. Saying that if you come in like a bull in a china shop demanding a hot shemale or ASL you'll get what you deserve.

Polite, intelligent guys have nothing to fear. Dickheads on the other hand........

Alex
    xxx
    • 20 posts
    August 23, 2005 1:53 AM BST
    Alex, I've posted a blog on this very issue. It was written a couple of months ago, in response to ongoing problems in another gender chat room. I thought it might be of use here. It concerns fairness.
    • 2573 posts
    August 23, 2005 3:40 AM BST
    I have been using the Excite Email Notifier. It lets me know when i get an email at Excite.com from TW notifying me of a PM or an email sent via my profile email link. I try to keep it on when I'm on TW and I will try to put it on when I'm online so I can be callled direct to TW Chat if there is a problem. Maybe more of the Chat monitors could set up a similar notifier since a PM could take days before we actually see it. Another idea would be to have an IM listing for each monitor to use when they are "on duty" and listed on TW chat or elsewhere on the site. Maybe like the friends list that shows when a friend is online with a green "light", it could show people on TW which monitors are "on duty" and can be contacted.

I'd like to be available when I am not in chat so that I don't have to appear "rude" by ignoring ordinary chat while I am online doing other things and not really chatting, even though signed ito chat. I could spend a LOT more time "on duty" if I could just take calls when I'm needed and not have to socialize when I'm busy.