Living in stealth

• August 29, 2005 8:09 AM BST
    On saturday I was in charge of our arcitectural competition exhibition. Many people visited the place and I had a nice chat with them. Among them there was a lady, an architect herself, who said she had been on an interrail with Pauliina V., one of the rewarded architects. I was silly enough to smile and say: "Oh, Pauliina used to be one of my students in the University of Technology". She was surprised: "I was only one year higher than Pauliina, how come I don´t remember you?". I realized right away I had made a bad mistake, but I just could not say: "Of course you don´t recognize me, because I was a man then". Instead of that i said: "Oh well, I was there only for a short time and then left for Africa..."
    Life is full of such traps...I must be more careful when I open my mouth.

Laura
  • August 29, 2005 12:25 PM BST
    Hehe Sandra

What we learn from these "traps" is 1) think before you open your mouth (not in your case) and 2) be smart and quick to get yourself out of the trap.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    August 30, 2005 9:15 AM BST
    Sort of a time trap...
    This autumn a friend from my student years - and I don't know how many others - will establish their offices in some renovated garages a 100 yards from my window. When peeking out I can see a row of large windows were there used to be old garage ports. And as for talking.. it was I who came up with the idea of converting those garages into architects and designers studios when talking to a couple of communal officials more than 3 years ago - safeguarding my own contract. I even made a small section sketch. Not expecting to reach the point I'm at..
    But then, who would ?
    In the longer term I can find some other place, but in the short term I can see no other option but staying. Yesterday it made me laugh.. thinking... what can I do but let it all develop ? And those garage ports gone.. seem like such a proper simile..

Linda