Make Over Lessons

• 195 posts
    November 22, 2002 12:02 AM GMT
    I have had some great experiences in the past week with makeover lessons that I though you might like to hear about

First I had a lesson at Charles Fox with Valme - She's their top make up artist and spends a lot of time working on film sets. I wanted her help in preparing me for my Channel 4 Debut.

Valme is keen in the Fox product DermaColour - Its a great foundation - and very good for a natural look in the day - Lessons at Charles Fox cost £75 for 2 hours and are well worth it - good to take a digital camera and take snaps though the session and make notes - You can also buy all your make up in the shop before you leave - They are in Tavistock Street London. www.charlesfox.co.uk - The bonus for me is that they want to use me as the new Face of Charles Fox in their Tranny Guide ads next year.

I also had another lesson with Jodie Lynn on Saturday - she also uses a lot of Charles Fox Products but mixes in with other top products - Interesting that most make up artists do use top line products all the time - Its really false economy to buy cheap - they just don't do the job properly.

Jodie Charges £85 for a lesson - again about 2 hours - you can also dress there and have a walk about - or go shopping etc - check out http://www.theboudoironline.com.  You can also log on to www.trannylife.com and watch videos of various stages of make up for a few pounds - much cheaper than a live lesson and a good reminder afterwards - or you can buy a CD from the boudior shop.

Is all this worth the investment.

Well when I went along to the BBC studios on Sunday I already had my make up on - By 2 pm when we were sent to make up I had had mine on for 6 hours - the make up artist took one look and said "Fantastic - all I am going to do is touch up a bit".  So yes it is worth it to get professional comments like that from BBC make up artists.

I really do recommend that you get a few make up lessons - try them all - there is so much to learn and our makeup is very different to women - its a special skill that learned well really does make a difference.

I also have a library of good books - they are great once you get the basics right - but you have to get the basics - Good foundation and good professional brushes.

When you have a lesson get her to show you which brushes she is using for each application and what she recommends. Be prepared to try different brushes until you find the ones that work for you best.

I have three brushes and a sponge applicator for eyeliner - I usually use Cake Liner now - Brown in the day and Black at night - I used to use a thin fine brush - and still do for some effects - but I have a quite thick short bristle brush that I use mostly for blending and softenening the lines - and I have just bought a new brush with the bristles cut at an angle - I find this the easiest to use of all.

The other service I have used is Pandora de pledge www.pandoradepledge.com - she did the makeover for the avatar I use here - also Fox make up - but a different style. I merge them all and add a few things I am learning myelf. I have also attended a one day course at college on Moulin Rouge make up styles.

In all over the past year I have spend over £500 on make up, brushes and lessons and I will spend a lot more before I am finished - but its worth the investment to look really good.  OK I have to look professional on stage and hopefully on TV - but everyone needs to look their best and most women if you ask them will tell you they spend a lot on looking good.