Hormones? Herbal? What should I do?

• 2 posts
    September 2, 2005 4:41 PM BST
    Hi everybody!

I've been crossdressing since forever, and the last few years I've slowly evolved to the point where I think I want to go one step further and try to adjust my body more to what I want it to be.
    I am -not- a transsexual, because I do not desire to lose my 'pecker'. However, I would like to have breast growth, a bigger bum and thighs, smoother skin.

This is a problem, because pretty much all the information I found on the internet is meant for MtF transsexuals who plan to go all the way.
    Since I don't want to undergo SRS, and would like to keep my libido/sexdrive, I understand that something like Androcur would not be a good solution for me since it would render my 'package' useless.
    What I couldn't find an answer on, however, was what would happen if I only took estrogen pills, but not anti-testosteron pills? Is that possible/safe? Or is it absolutely necessary to take anti-testosteron pills as well?
    Will just taking estrogen be effective at all, and what kind of side effects could I expect if I just take estrogen? I am 22 years old, by the way, so theoretically I think the hormones should have some decent effect on me?

What do you girls suggest I do? Ofcourse before doing anything I will consult with a docter first, but I'd like to know what the options are before I pay him a visit!

Thanks!
    • 13 posts
    September 3, 2005 4:19 PM BST
    For cross dressers who don't want to go down a 'one way street' i think these herbal estrogens or phyto-estrogens might be worth a try. They can be purchased in any pharmacy without a prescription. Woman entering monopause take them to counter adverse psychological effects resulting from the reduction of estrogen levels in their bodies. There are several different types of phyto-estrogens.
    One is derived from soy beans. Ask your pharmacist for details.

As far as those who wish SRS go, phyto-estrogens are absorbed by the body's estrogen receptors and prevent standard estrogen supplements from being absorbed by these receptors and so probably don't serve any purpose.

The feminisation resulting from phyto-estrogens is of course optically less apparent, but for psychologically relief, without 'going too far' in physical feminisation they may be of interest to crossdressers and those living in both worlds.
    • 2 posts
    September 4, 2005 2:03 PM BST
    Thanks for the info girls!

Perhaps Herbals offer a solution. If I'm not satisfied with my breast size in the future, I could always opt for small breast implants or switch to real hormones anyway, right?

I've got some questions about using herbals though. Using herbals isn't a one-way street? So you're saying I could take herbals, aquire a certain level of feminisation and when I stop using herbals that will reverse again? So if I choose to do herbals, I'll have to take herbals the rest of my life?

How about real hormones? Is it possible to take real hormones for a period of time to a certain level of femininity, and then quit using them? Would the breasts and such remain, or would my body slowly revert back to a male again?

As for herbals, I've read a bunch of different sites and texts about them, but it's all a little sketchy. There are so many herbal pills to choose from, and I'm not sure wether it is safe or not. Are there any real risks known for taking herbals (like blood clotting or heart diseases with regular hormones)? I guess it depends on how much you take but I'm assuming a 'normal' dosage.
    Should you take several types of herbals at the same time, or stick to 1 single kind?
    Should I consult with my doctor and inform him that I'm taking herbals? Perhaps blood tests every now and then? Or is that unnecessary?
    Do herbals also alter your skin/pores like regular hormones do?
    • 364 posts
    September 4, 2005 8:51 PM BST
    The question of drugs or herbs ia never ending. If you are in a hurry and prepared to accept the consequences as most TS persons are, take the drugs under medical supervision. In any case many graduate from herbs to drugs eventually. Taking drugs or herbs is no game and in time many of the effects are not reversible. Personally I am taking herbs and have been for a year or so. As a result I have experiences a few changes ie smooth skin, facial changes, emotional changes ( I am weeping more), breasts are increasing slowly, waist decreasing and butt increasing. There also has been a loss of strength in the upper body.I am happy with the results which are slow. I also visit a doctor yearly for blood tests. It thus appears that oestrogen is oestrogen whatever the source.

Joanne
    • 13 posts
    September 6, 2005 11:42 PM BST
    My doctor claims that my breasts 'cup B' that i have developed after almost 4 years of prescribed hormones would disappear entirely if i stopped taking hormones and Androcur for several years. Others claim that the breasts are permanent. The later may be the case after SRS.
    I find it hard to believe that my breasts would disappear entirely, but they are diminished if the body reverts to it's genetically determined testosterone levels, but it may take a year before the reduction is apparent. I always warn crossdressers not to go beyond herbal hormones. Even a normal XX girl is in for the hormonal ride of her life when she enters puberty, but she generally has a knowlegeable mother and supportive experienced friends to help her through.
    • 13 posts
    September 8, 2005 10:57 PM BST
    I certainly agree that prescribed hormones are not for crossdressers. In addition to the cup B breasts i got a bulge in my midsection also, which was very undesireable. I paid 3,000 for liposuction to have it removed. Of course unlike an XX woman the biologically male body has a lot of fat cells around the intestines which can't be removed. It's my strong suspicion depending upon your body type and your age-i started hormones in my 40s-that you can expect a possible gain of weight of weight in the midsection, despite dieting.

There are quite a number of herbal estrogens in the pharmacy. Black cohosh is much less expensive than the herbal estrogens derived from soy beans. I have a boyfriend, who refuses to eat soybeans in any form because of the presence of these herbal estrogens. I honestly don't know if these soy bean estrogens survive being baked or to what extent if any one can absorb these herbal estrogens by just eating soybeans.

I'm one of the moderators in a TS/TV support group in Stuttgart and i constantly warn crossdressers about the 'slippery slope of feminisation'. Estradiol&co. is serious stuff and a naive crossdresser looking for a "kick" or a "feeling" will have unimaginable problems if he goes this route. I didn't mention the atrophication of the male organs which eventually results from prescribed estrogens That is just one of many things a misled "TV thrill seeker" will experience with the serious hormones. I don't think eating a large amount of soybeans, or even trying the herbal hormones in the pharmacies, would cause any such problems nearly as serious as estradiol, etc.. The toxicity factor should be carefully considered. If the drive for feminasation is so overpowering and SRS is not the goal then herbal hormones may be a lesser evil to calm or appease this drive. I could be wrong of course.Caution!
    • 13 posts
    September 12, 2005 7:28 PM BST
    True Sandra i've seen a number of people in real life who correspond to the image you describe. As i mentioned at
    http://snipurl.com/hmcs autogynephilia and not TS may be the driving factor behind a lot of these people.
    • 1652 posts
    September 3, 2005 2:58 PM BST
    I don’t think anyone can predict specifically what the effects will be of anyone taking a particular hormone. I would guess that it’s probable you will have some feminisation effects without the use of an anti-androgen but also it might be possible that your libido will be affected by oestrogen alone. Perhaps more likely after long term use of high doses. There is no formula to say that a certain amount of oestrogen will give you a certain degree of feminisation without certain side-effects. There are so many factors as Sandra pointed out, not just testosterone levels; everyone is different and effects of hormones will differ accordingly. Your doctor might be able to tell you what is likely to happen, but even he won’t know for sure, even with the benefit of blood tests.
    It might be safe to take a low to moderate dose of oestrogen, achieve a level of feminisation and not have your libido affected. If it is going to be affected your body will probably give you fair warning before you reach the point of no return. But I stress that all this is mainly conjecture, some of it based on my own experience, but then you’re not me, so who knows? Be advised that all hormone products carry warnings so there is always a potential risk, as any doctor would explain before prescribing such drugs. None of this I expect is particularly helpful so I will shut up now.
    Good luck.
    xx