Cell renewal interval

• September 6, 2005 10:17 AM BST
    In today´s newspaper there was an interesting article about the renewal process of our body cells. It claimed, independent of our own age, the average age of our cells, most of them, is between 7 and 10 years. So, in other words, our body is only 7 years old. That gives interesting wievs in connection with the HRT: In about 7 years in the HRT we have a whole new body born under the control of the new hormone balance.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    September 6, 2005 12:07 PM BST
    Hi Laura,

For me it's five days now - on a test patch.
    Seven years.. makes me think I have a lot to look forward to. And today, even, the most encouraging words from my GP: You'll make a great woman.. with what nature already has given you.

Linda
  • September 6, 2005 12:49 PM BST
    For me this would mean that somewhat less than half of my cells have been born under the influence of my HRT, so there is still road ahead to go.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    September 6, 2005 1:55 PM BST
    Yes, Sandra, time will tell, of course. And we can never know. My age.. 40. But, honestly, I look more like 30 and have very good health - not smoking, hardly drinking, eating the right things. And, after what I've gone through the last three months.. I have more of an underweight than an overweight problem. Seems my testosterone levels are low too. Tested in spring - it was 230-something. Did not reflect much upon it then - the sheet with my results said "within normal". (And then came this summer of horrors... my clueless psychiatrist on a two months holiday - in the UK.)
    But when checking it up on the net now.. I am definitely in the lower range, aren't I ?

Linda

I am, by the way, having new tests taken this week, and my GP recommends regular tests every six weeks or so from now on.
  • September 6, 2005 2:03 PM BST
    Can anybody tell me the effect of smoking onm the results of m2f hrt? I know theres a blood pressure issue, but I know nothing else about it.
    • 588 posts
    September 6, 2005 9:26 PM BST
    Well, Tiina, it feels like sort of an experiment already... even if the great pioneers have long since put the flag on that pole...

Rhia,
    the constriction of the vessels of the circulatory system, and the inhibition of oxygen uptake, would effect any growth process adversely - to some extent. The constriction of vessels could make for worse consequences too, if there's already a problem with blood clotting.