Multiple Posts

• September 12, 2005 9:19 AM BST
    Just a quick note about posting in the forums.

I've noticed over the past few weeks an increase in the number of multiple posts both within indivdual threads and actual threads in the forums.

My only conclusion in this is the advent of broadband has made many people a little less patient, if it doesn't appears the instant they click the "post" button it hasn't worked. Unfortunately ADSL doesn't work like that. You may have an all singing all dancing 8 Mega Broadband connection but that is the download speed, the upload speed is still only 128kbps. The upshot of this is it can take a little while for the server at the other end to recieve the data and post it on the forum.

So can I ask everyone to count to 10 and take a deep breath before hitting the "post" button again. It takes a while to go through the recent posts and remove double postings and clean up the forums. 99% of the time the first click will work so don't panic if your post doesn't appear instantly.

If you do accidently post twice (or on occasion there have been up to 5 multiples) do not fear we won't be sending the girls round to sort you out but we (well me anyway) would appreciate if you could try to take care with the "post" button.

Thanks

Alex
    xxxx
  • September 12, 2005 10:15 AM BST
    Every now and then the progress bar stops half way or so after posting and the page freezes. Hitting post again posts a second time. I did this once and it hasn't causght me out again, but perhaps this is something to do with the reason. It would be very useful if users were able to delete their own threads though, as I'm sure that many people would tidy up aftr theirselves if they could.
    • 338 posts
    September 12, 2005 4:05 PM BST
    *right click* reply, select 'open in in window' (winduz users, mac peeps probably have to stand on one leg or sommink i lieu of mouse button #2)*. now when you click 'post' go back to the other window and refresh it. or maybe wait a second or two and refresh it.

the servers seem *very fast* at processing the forms and adding stuff to the database, but generating the reply page can take a few seconds.

once the post appears you can close the edit window completely.

now to sort out why firefox freezes every miniute or so for a few seconds.. and remove the nasty thats doing it. grrr.

* yes i know this is rubbish but i can't help it.
    • 456 posts
    September 12, 2005 4:00 PM BST
    I agree Alex and having been one of the people who are - too hasty - the best answer is to read you post in the forum and if it is repeated delete it. As you posted it it is possible for you to remove it - as far as I understand