Do I need a bra?

• 16 posts
    January 15, 2006 10:12 AM GMT
    HI, I havent' been here for a while.. but now im back.. so I ve been on hormoes for almost 8 months now, .. i had some goo dprogress, but i dont knwo if it's enough though,. How do you measure you cup size ? and how do you know if you need a bra at all? maybe its too rearly , i dont know,...
  • January 16, 2006 5:11 AM GMT
    The cup size can be measured like this:

The chest measure at the nipple height - the chest measure just below the breasts.

12cm = A cup
    15cm = B cup
    18cm = C cup

Laura
    • 588 posts
    January 16, 2006 10:39 AM GMT
    Well, I certainly don't need a bra. If I measure around and under I'm left with 6cm. Still, I guess it could be called a half cup, as I do have some development - visibly so from the side. The TG doctor I visited some days ago even commented on it: "You would not have had that without it". i.e. the 100mcg estradot patch I have from my psychiatrist.

I was not wearing a bra. Instead I wore a light pink lycra sweater. It seems to me this shows my slight contours at their best...

Linda
    Sabina

(I'm in kind of a negotiating process with the TG doctor, but she asked to meet the psychiatrist, and then perhaps I could have some other medication. Still, I have learned not to believe in any doctor's support before actually experiencing it. )
    • 364 posts
    January 16, 2006 7:00 PM GMT
    Hi Ariel

I was always told if you bend forward from the waist and there is anything hanging you need a bra

Hugs Joanne
    • 1083 posts
    November 16, 2006 3:50 PM GMT
    Hi, luvs--

One of the best things I've done this year was to actually go get a bra fitting done (Read about it here).

I have since discovered that a lot also depends on the bra itself--for example, my daily bras are all 40c's, and are nearly full in the cup. But if I wear my 18 hour bra, it's a 42b. I do have a pair of gel pushup pads that fill out that 40c or 42b to a very pleasant, natural shape. They look and feel totally natural, and the hope is that in a (relatively) short period of time I won't need them anymore....

Obviously, not everyone is comfortable getting a fit, and there are some places that simply won't do it at all if you're a man. But if you find one that does, pay attention. (I also recommend you shop there.)

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    • 134 posts
    December 12, 2006 5:16 PM GMT
    got any pix Ariel?

Here is one of my new bra
    Angel xx
  • December 17, 2006 7:47 AM GMT
    I had a bra fitting back in June when I'd only been on hormones for a couple of months. The lady in the shop said that several things determined bra size: a - the shape of the body; b - the size of the breast; and c - comfort. She asked what bra size I took and I told her a 40C with breast-forms. She then asked what hooks I used to close the bra and i told her the tightest. She said your bra is too big. A new bra should do up on the first set of hooks and as it gets older you'll move towards the last (or tightest). She suggested that i try on a 38A without my breast forms. Lo and behold it did up on the first hooks and was comfortable and not tight. She then told me to put on my top and show myself to Bob (Belinda) my partner. The bra was bought there and then. From that night on the breast-forms were redundant.
    I think at times that an AA cup may be more my size but so many As come with some padding now that I'm more than happy with my A cup breasts. After all they are mine!!!!

If you are growing your own breasts don't forget to show them some TLC.
    TOUCH your breasts. Feel for anything unusual.
    LOOK for changes. Be aware of their shape and texture.
    CHECK anything unusual with your doctor. Chat with your friends if you are worried.

Alina
    • 1912 posts
    November 20, 2007 1:20 PM GMT
    Another great indicator of the need for a bra is when you go up or down stairs and you feel a definite bounce. That is a sign of things pulling and stretching. Especially if this is part of your routine you should definitely have some type of support whether a bra or tight shirt. If you are trying to conceal your precious cargo you may want to consider the type of shirt bicyclist wear. Although I am not out to the world I do little to conceal my breasts, any bra makes them impossible to miss so usually i will wear a cami with a shelf bra or a tighter tank top under my shirt. When you see a gal walking and her breasts are bouncing it may look great because of our desires, but there are serious consequences when they are not properly supported.
  • April 9, 2008 7:38 PM BST
    Hi Ariel. two things 1. if your brest are pinful if you walk or run or just standing you need a bra for shure. @. messure under your arms just under your brest then mesure the same way but at the fullist part of your brest the diffrence is you cup size the first mesurement is your band size if the diffrence is 1" or less your an A cup, 2" B, 3" C so on and so forth look at just any woman's catlog or a JC penny's catlog under how to mesure and it will give the corect way to mesure for a bra of go to Vctoria Secreat's they will do a fitting for you it dosn't cost you anything just ask thwm and they will be glad to help.

I hpe this helps you out Ariel
  • June 28, 2008 11:40 PM BST
    I am like some here... I don;t have any development, but I am wearing a bra... makes me feel safe, secure, and oh so feminine
  • July 20, 2008 8:26 AM BST
    Hi girls,
    I do not have my own breasts but just find that when wearing a bra for several days, helps to shape and frame my body a bit.
    Seems like you insist the tissue fat which is there to go where you let it and want it to be.
    Thinking of starting with estrofem soon to make sure there is something even without my bra forcing my body in shape...
    Right now I am able to wear a small A-cup bra (depends of course) and I feel completey feminine. Without them I am not dressed properly,
    so yes I need my bra's, I do hate to go without them
    • 40 posts
    July 20, 2008 9:00 AM BST
    Hi Ariel,
    Aside for all the info given here, and a lot of it is good, don't get me wrong, but... since your on hormones and your haveing good progress, the best thing is to go and have a proper fitting for a bra. Since we are growing our own breasts, and like any girl, they need to be in a bra. This helps them from and gives them proper support for the growing process. You can study all the charts out there, but the best way is to go and have a fitting, any of the dept stores will do this for free, places like Macy's,,J C Penny's,,Dillards,,even Sears, the women there are trained in how to do this and are not shocked to see a transwoman come to them, it's part of there training. So, go forth and have a fitting, if you see development, you need one, it's that simple..They also can discuss the different styles and types of bras to get the ones you like, and fits you correctly.
    Have fun! - and don't even think of being embarrassed, or nervous, just enjoy the feeling of filling a bra with you!!

Hugs,, Bridgette
    • 2573 posts
    January 15, 2006 3:27 PM GMT
    PENCIL TEST

If a pencil placed under your breast, while standing, stays in place and does not fall to the ground, you need a bra. However, gravity takes it's toll without one.

Most women's clothing sites have a SIZE page that describes measuring for a bra. Most catalogs have a similar page. They don't all agree.
    • 2573 posts
    January 16, 2006 9:17 AM GMT
    Here are a couple of charts to make bra fitting visual:

http://www.ladybwear.com/[...]ras.htm

Clothing Sizes:
    http://www.geocities.com/[...]zes.htm

General apparel fitting, sizes, how to measure:
    http://www.newport-news.c[...]at_id=6
    • 1652 posts
    January 17, 2006 2:35 AM GMT
    Sandra has a point about the shape of breasts but I have another theory to add to the equation. I don’t think those guides for cup sizes are entirely accurate but then they are just guides, and they are designed for women.
    Men’s bodies tend to taper more than women’s, ie the shoulders down to the waist is more like an inverted triangle, so if a man measures his “band size” and his “cup size” there will be a difference even without breasts (or well-defined pec’s) due to the tapering effect.
    Certainly I’ve met a lot of transsexuals who swear they are a C-cup but really don’t look it, maybe they’re going by this sort of guide. According to the one Laura posted I should be an A cup, but I don’t look it, and in fact the only bra I have that fits snugly is a double-A (ie smaller).
    Despite my modest size I’m happy that I’m actually “showing” now, and I do find that wearing a bra helps, as my ickle boobies are very tender still and it reduces wobbling and rubbing.
    I don’t think you have to be able to hold a pencil there to benefit from wearing a bra, even though you may never lose a pencil again. Bra’s are good for your breasts, they prevent sagging, stretching of the Cooper’s ligament (I think), and even with a double-A cup, makes them look better!
    The feminists may say that no woman “needs” to wear a bra, or they used to at least, I say start early, can’t hurt. If the bra fits, wear it.
    xx
    • 2573 posts
    November 17, 2006 5:55 AM GMT
    A 42B and a 40C CUP is approximately the same size. Since a bra usually has a number of rows of hooks on the band, it can be adjusted for chest size. My SO finds sme bras fit better in one size and some in the other. Like anything else in women's clothes actual size varies in the same number setting. Minako is right that a bra fitting is the way to go. Learn how a bra should fit on you and then you can try them on to be sure the one you are buying does fit. Failure to get a properly fitting bra can cause discomfort in addition to looking bad.. Many many ggs wear the wrong size bra. In addition, your bra size can change over time. Girls, you worked hard for those boobies, treat them right.
    • 1652 posts
    December 13, 2006 2:41 AM GMT
    Gosh, it’s nearly a year since my last post on this thread…
    My AA bras look a whole lot better on me now, perfectly filled out in fact. AA sounds small and it is, but to me it looks pretty good, at least I’m not totally flat-chested like I used to be. A well-fitting underwired bra now makes a big difference to my shape; so much so that I am happy to go out without any “enhancements”, though when I’m playing with my band I still like to knock ‘em dead, literally if possible…
    In answer to the original question on this thread I would say the best way to determine your cup size is to buy a bra closest to the size you think you are and see how far off you are. Buy a few second-hand ones off ebay or from your local charity shop and you will get an idea of what your right size is before you splash out on something special for yourself.
    There are lots of bra size calculators on the interweb, but here’s one to get you started (it works for me), note though their comment: “Measuring yourself for a bra is not an exact science, but our bra calculator can provide you with a useful starting point.”
    And also, I have no idea if American bra sizes are the same, anyway here’s the link:
    http://www.figleaves.com/uk/fitting_room.asp?cat=141&cm_re=fr_brafit-_-calculator-_-textlink
    And by the way, sorry Wendy, but… if you can hold a pencil under your breast, you probably needed a bra years ago!
    They can work wonders for even the smallest breasted women (bra’s, not pencils).
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    December 13, 2006 2:50 AM GMT
    Addendum:
    Tape should be tight when measuring band size, but not when doing cup size.
    That’s not cheating, that’s how you’re supposed to do it!
    xx
    • 734 posts
    November 20, 2007 2:04 AM GMT
    Hi all!

There are a couple of other points to take into consideration when it comes to a bra.

For most of us, and theres always exceptions, we have the problem of a male body. As pointed out earlier, it is fundamently different in shape so we tend to have a higher band size due to that male ribcage. [In my case, too damned large a ribcage! lol] which tends to throw out the accuracy of most bust measuring systems, imho.

The other, of course, is that 'mile wide cleavage' syndrome. I guess it may apply to you girls on hormones, I don't know. I was born with many female attributes, my best being female breasts. Small - I use an A cup - but noticeable. But as my skeleton is more male, they tend to flop more to the right and left than pointing straight ahead. Doh!

That also skews the self-measuring a tadge.

I'm sure they don't make the type of bra I could do with - one that not only lifts and supports, but pushes in from the sides. That'd double my bust size!

The other thing about wearing a bra, certainly in the long term, is that I now feel completely under dressed without one. That plus being blessed with female nipples - after all, its winter and on a cold day I could easily disembowel an innocent passer-by...

Much love to you all.

Rae xx
    • 1652 posts
    November 20, 2007 2:28 PM GMT
    Hi Rae, that’s a good point about us having a wider gap between the breasts, due to our wider frame. For a “push-in” as well as push-up bra I can recommend the Panache Atlantis Delight. A gel-filled bra (not those piddly removable gel pads) that really gives a great cleavage, even with teeny boobs like mine. I have 3, one in each colour, size 36AA, all bought off ebay.
    I’m not normally a fan of Panache (their standard Atlantis range is rubbish), but the Delight delivers what it promises; it works really well.
    I used to use those “magic” bra’s (invisible bra/Q-bra etc) – self-adhesive cups that pull your breasts together. Although they give a great cleavage I’ve given up using them because they are so fiddly, the silicone ones don’t stick for long and the fabric ones started giving me blisters. Plus you really need to wear breast forms over them to get a natural shape, and I prefer to go au naturel now, with a little help from my gel-bra’s of course.
    Gel-filled or not though, you don’t need to be big-breasted to benefit from wearing a bra.
    xx
    • 734 posts
    November 21, 2007 1:16 AM GMT
    Hey Lucy,

Thank-you for your response.

To widen the debate a little... but carrying on the theme!

It is a small problem. If I were to show you a photo of one of my breasts, you would see something that is totally unmistakebly female. From the classic orb shape to nipple size, everything is in proportion. A tadge small, but so far so good.

But a photo of both breasts would reveal that 'mile wide cleavage'. And so look a little odd.

I would be very interested to know if you MtF girls on hormones have the same problem? [Ok, your breasts may be bigger than mine, but I can forgive you ] Do you have that MW cleavage?

As the trans community grows in spirit and personality, so the bra manufacturers will sniff their profit. Its only a case of time - I hope - before people start to get on the TG bandwagon and manufacture bra's that pull in from the side as well as lift! [or maybe they're already out there and you know where...]

I'll certainly check out your recommendations, hun.

So much love to you all.

Rae xxx
    • 734 posts
    December 31, 2007 12:20 AM GMT
    Hi All,

One other quick point on bra's....

My best girl friend has always advised the minute your breasts develop wear a bra. This was how her mother taught her and what she's passed on to her daughter. Both my friend and her mother are former models and this advice worked very well for them.

It helps shape, form and develop the breast very well.

From a TG pov I can say I wore bra's from the moment my breasts began to shape. I found underwire bra's really help hold and mold breast shape.

I notice the improvement whenever I switch to non-wired. Again, due to that mile wide cleavage, my breasts sag left and right, presenting very little at the front despite ample tissue. Even after a short time with an underwired bra the shape held better in non-wired and the shape had clearly improved.

I don't take hormones as yet but can't see why a TG on hormones would'nt benefit in the same way.

[Hope that makes sense]

Much love

Rae xx

[ps Lucy, am yet to investigate the Panache Atlantis Delight you recommended]
  • April 10, 2008 8:02 PM BST
    before I had my boob job I fitted into A cups but actually felt to have a much larger handful..then when I had smallish implants I found I have to have C cups... but I am sure my C is nowhere near as big as a GGs C...but they look good anyway.

Get the first bra when you feel you neeed to wear one...like very young GGs pesteriong mum for their first bra its more psychological than actaully necessary.
    • 5 posts
    July 4, 2017 6:19 AM BST

i wear a bra for aesthetic purposes.. want the shape of my body to be nice fitting and curvy