hormones naturally occuring in food

• 2 posts
    February 17, 2006 7:04 PM GMT
    hey, im a young cross dresser wishing to transition when i am older (only 18 at mo) and have money to have pay for transitioning. Anyway, i recently found out that some foods are high in estrogen such as linseed bread (i think) and soy. Is this true and are there other types of food which contain natural traces of hormones. Is it possible to achieve slight feminization by digesting lots of these foods.
    Id be glad if you could help, girls, because it could be a way for me to feel a little happier until i transition.
    hugsxxxx
    • 588 posts
    February 17, 2006 7:35 PM GMT

Hi Cathy, and Welcome.

If you want to find out more about transitioning you have come to the right place. Take a look around.

As for your question about food... I don't think this will give any visible results. I tried some concentrated soy (tablets) a couple of years ago and did wonder if they had some calming effect. And they seemed to affect my skin somewhat. But the truth is I was procrastinating... and wasting my time. My advice would be to wait until your ready and do it the straight way. Until then, save money and live a healthy life.

xxx
    • 2 posts
    February 19, 2006 2:11 PM GMT
    Thanks girls, i thought they wouldnt have that much effect - or there would be warnings about not eating certain foods for men! i am undecided as to whether to transition or not, at the mo. i have days when i think i could, and then days when i know i couldnt. its just such a big step to take, as you lot understand, it can be so confusing sometimes!!!
  • February 21, 2006 11:57 AM GMT
    Cathy,

It can be very confusing at times. That Is why seeing a good doctor and psych is important when making such decisions. Not just for you're mental health but physical as well. The foods are definatly not the way to go

*hugs*

~Valerie
    • 1652 posts
    February 18, 2006 3:03 PM GMT
    I think if you ate a whole loaf of soy and linseed bread (eg “Burgen”) every day you still wouldn’t achieve even slight feminisation, though I’m only speculating, and as Sandra says, such quantities may even have a toxic effect [not “intoxicated” Sandra my dear, that means drunk!]
    By my calculations that would also be about 6 times more expensive than taking a low dose of estradiol, and perhaps 600 times less effective at feminisation. When I started taking hormones, 2mg estradiol per day cost me about £5 a month, not as expensive as you might think, cheaper than herbal-type hormone supplements or even plant oestrogen-rich foods, both of which will interfere with the effects of "real" HRT.
    If you plan to transition when you're older, for the time being just stay healthy, eat well and avoid drink, drugs, smoking, anything that you know is bad for you. And don't leave it too long; a young healthy body will be much more receptive to the positive effects of HRT than an old knackered one!
    Welcome to the site, Cathy.
    xx