I don't care who knows now

• 90 posts
    February 28, 2006 6:35 AM GMT
    Since coming out to people, I've realised that what I do is to a large extent accepted by many people. Even my mum accepts it now, although she doesn't understand it.

I am in the frame of mind now to contact one of those women's magazines, and tell my story. Not bad, they pay £500.

What have I got to lose!?
    • 773 posts
    February 28, 2006 9:23 PM GMT
    I really don't care who knows anymore, but as I am in a new workplace, I feel it will be important to prove what a great technician I am before sharing it with anyone on my team. By summer, I will sort of have to, because I will not be able to wear several layers of clothing to conceal things. Also, I am installing systems in people's homes, and it's possible that some of them may be a little sketchy on the whole thing, but since the dress code with this company is unisex, I doubt it will elicit more than the occasional raised eyebrow.

Screw 'em!
    • 90 posts
    February 28, 2006 11:17 PM GMT
    Robyn, I am with you girl, I don't get a sh&& who knows and who doen't know. I think a lot of girls on here should heed our advice!!!
    • 90 posts
    March 7, 2006 6:22 AM GMT
    Brina, I'll tell you something about life. You do what you wanna do. Life is too short to live a lie, as long as you stay within the law. And the law in the UK says I can go out dressed as a woman, it is not a criminal offence. My only worry is some child pointing at me in the street and shouting, "It's a man!"

Apart from that, I am content. I sometimes drive my car to remote areas and get out walking dressed as a woman.
    • 90 posts
    March 8, 2006 6:48 AM GMT
    Meredith, I know it's hard, but often I dress up in secret. Life is bloody hard, but the lying is the worst. But everyone knows I am a tarnny and I don't care!!
    • 2627 posts
    February 28, 2006 11:01 AM GMT
    My only real concern is all the beer drinking Archie Bunkers I work with. It would make my work life impossible. But that is the blue collor work place.
    • 2463 posts
    February 28, 2006 3:48 PM GMT
    In my situation there have been some academics not only coming out but fully transitioned. In my immediate case, though, it might be a good idea to have that elusive full-time spot before hitting them with it.
    • 2463 posts
    February 28, 2006 4:09 PM GMT
    Thanks, Sandra. I always count on your point of view. Heck, I can remember not all that long ago my "wife" said to hold off on repiercing my ear until I get the job. Now this weekend I will pierce both. But as for showing up as Mere, it would not be a good idea. Besides, it takes a few years for the transitioning, so by then I hope this would all be a moot point and that I'll have my office somewhere.
    • 2463 posts
    March 7, 2006 3:32 PM GMT
    Skirt Lover, as for people heeding your advice, please try to remember that not everyone lives in the same environment. As has been said here, some areas are more conservative than others.

Look at my current situation. I'm teaching part-time at a school that is located in a not-very-nice-area. I was damn near assaulted once as it was. All I needed was to be fully dressed. That way I could also wear a sign that says "Hey, Gangbangers! Beat me up!"

Soon I will be visiting a college buddy in central Illinois, smack in the heart of hunting-rifle-toting-beer-drinking-Republicans. Now, how do you think they'll react to a Chicago transsexual? Yes, life is too short. I don't need to shorten it any more than is necessary.

I do plan on being full time very soon. When that comes I'll address those issues, especially since I think I'll be able to pass relatively decently. Maybe. But for now, I still need to keep things as uncomplicated as possible. I've had enough headaches and heartaches these past six months alone. Sometimes discretion is the right path.