Cost of seeing a private gender medibod?

• 3 posts
    May 5, 2006 6:06 PM BST
    Hi

This is a bit of a step up from my "Hi I'm new post," I know, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help with some info...

I'm getting really sick of waiting for ye olde NHS to get around to seeing me... I've been on the waiting list to see someone at Leeds GIC since early 2002. I mean, at this point, beyond the notes my GP has saying that I'd like to pursue this, I haven't even had a formal diagnosis; its just my say-so... oh, and they've managed to "loose" me once too..... doesn't exactly inspire confidence....

I'm feeling "stuck"... there's a lot of stagnation in my life at the moment... although I *do* now have a job, so *thats* one positive change...

I'm not obsessed with going through the NHS route... if I can afford to go through transition privately, then I'd rather do that... I know that the surgical side of transition isn't cheap, but I have no idea how much the other bits of it are...

So my question, after all that, is how much does it cost to see a private, I guess the phrase is, gender consultant...?

Having asked that, a few other questions have occurred to me...

1) Assuming they are happy to guide me through transition, how often would I need to expect to see them (at a very minimum)?

2) I've read somewhere that somebody saw a private consultant, but was able to get their medication through the NHS... is this a realistic possibility? I mean from the perspective of the private consultant... FYI, my GP is lovely and supportive, and the local PCT have said they would fund me through the NHS GIC, so I assume they'd be happy to cover the expense of the meds, as they would be doing it if I saw the NHS people anyway... but obviously I'd still need to ask them both...

Thanks

JoJo
    -xx-