Technology and jenjen don't mix......

• 46 posts
    June 14, 2006 9:12 PM BST
    Okay, here's my problem. I've done everything I possibly can to try to get into the chat room. I've gotten great tips from a lot of the girls here, downloaded Firefox and MSN among other things, and STILL can't get into the chat room. Then I saw in the recent Tranny Tribune that I could download the new toolbar which had instant access into the chat room. Tried to download it, said download complete, and now I can't find it anywhere on my computer. This computer is not quite a year old yet so it's pretty much updated because my daughter does a fantastic job of cleaning it up and running virus scans. Any ideas?

Oh, one more thing....since I finally stopped being a chicken and put my picture in my profile, why doesn't it come up on posts? Maybe that's a good thing because I'm my own worse critic and would probably delete it for the 10th time, but I thought if it's downloaded into the profile, it will come up on the forums. Does it have to be an icon to come up?
    • 773 posts
    June 14, 2006 9:52 PM BST
    Jen, Firefox doesn't really seem to like our chatroom much. Microsoft Internet Explorer is much friendlier with it. Anna-Marie is right, you do need the latest version of java to make it work, and that can be had at:

http://www.java.com/en/do[...]ual.jsp

Finally, it is your icon, not your picture that would appear next to your posts in the forum. You have a lovely picture at your profile. We can see where Meredith gets her good looks. You have no icon there, though. You may use an icon provided here, or upload your own image.
    • 46 posts
    June 15, 2006 5:54 PM BST
    By George, I think I can do it now! Yes, Mere, I do need pictures to go along with the directions and maybe some crayons to write stuff down as I go along.

Thanks to all of you for the help!!! Maybe with the new chat I will be able to get in and I will try to download the link, Katie, so thanks!

And thanks to you all for the comments about my picture. I think Mere will print it, blow it up and use it as a dart board. We are all our own worse critics as to our appearance, wouldn't you say? Hope to be able to talk to you all soon......
    • 2068 posts
    June 14, 2006 9:18 PM BST
    Jen.... i think i know why you're havin probs gettin into chat. its because the chatroom runs on Java script. If you go to the Java website( www.java.com), you can download the latest version free of charge. Its what i did myself & i can now get into chat anytime i like....good Luck hun.

Love & xxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 2127 posts
    June 15, 2006 1:13 PM BST
    Hi Jen,

Anna-Marie is correct - you only need to have a recent version of Java installed to get into the current Digichat chatroom. It does say that on the chat page.

Also, there should be no problem with using Firefox or any other browser. As far as I am aware, all popular browsers and operating systems are supported. Java is the one crucial element that you need and you can get the latest version free by going to this page:

http://www.java.com

...then press the "Download now" button.

If you use this link, rather than the one Robyn gave you (sorry Robyn), Java will be installed automatiucally on your computer. The other link was for a manual installation which I'd guess you would prefer not to do.

As Justine said, we are currently working on a new room which uses Flash rather than Java, so it should be easier for you to access. However, that is still a week or two away.

As for your photos, I would guess that if you have uploaded both a profile pic and an icon, and they are still not appearing, then it will be down to one of two things.

Either your photos are too big - they have to be a maximum size of 150x150 pixels - or your browser is set to show you web pages from the cache on your computer and you are seeing old pages.

Please take a look at this page for info on fixing that:

http://gendersociety.com/FAQ/faq_qanda.php?id=86

Hope that helps.

Huggies,

Katie x
    PS By the way, your icon photo will be used with our new chat room so do make sure you've uploaded one.
    • 1652 posts
    June 16, 2006 2:49 AM BST
    Ooh goody, icon pics are coming back into the chat room again, I always felt it was never the same without them.
    Jen, your photo is lovely. I wish I had a sister so pretty as you, hell I wish I had a sister, but I'd better not tell my brother that, somehow I can't see him being a member of Trannyweb. My mum pops in from time to time though. I'm sure, like me, that Meredith appreciates the support of her family. It's great to have you around, Jen.
    xx
    • 2463 posts
    June 16, 2006 4:33 AM BST
    Lucy, first of all, you know how much I love and respect you. I also appeciate how you, and everyone else, welcomed my sister into the fold.

I AM OLDER THAN JEN JEN!!! SHE GOT HER LOOKS FROM ME!!! NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

AHEM!!!!!!

Oh, damn it, she's prettier.....What would a psycho ninja know anyway?!?!?!?
    • 2627 posts
    June 16, 2006 11:49 AM BST
    Mere I don't think she got her looks from you.
    Your mom & dad yes.

Maybe if you talk real nice she can help you get that look.
    Makeup, hair, nails.
    If talking doesn't work,,,$$$