I know I shouldn't but I have been!!

• July 17, 2006 8:09 PM BST
    Hi Ladies,

I have been a member of this site since sometime in 2005. I really haven't been active but have regularly checked out the different threads. The past year has been really diffacult for me with coming to terms with who I am and dealing with a bit of a drinking problem.

Well, to keep with what this particular forum subject, over the past three months I have made the decision to start on Hormones. I have done my own research through the different web sites that offer information about hormone usage, and putting all the puzzle pieces together and realizing that since early childhood this is what my life has been leading up too.

I have been in the military for over 9 years and have been quite closeted for well over that and have come to really understand what I am dealing with really only in the past 5 to 6 years thanks to the internet. My earliest memories of dressing in my sisters clothing goes back to six years old. My earliest memories of thinking to my self that I wanted to be a girl goes back to around the age of 12. And know at the aqe of 33 I have decided that I am done with battling against what Deep down inside I really want, but Know that it is extreme and unpopular with my career and family and most of my friends. Considering all of this in much depth I decided that, YES, i will start hormones and slowely make steps towards the end goal of full transition.

Here is the big problem that I am aware of. Right know I don't have access to the proper medical resources to help me through this. Sure, I have free medical through the military, but no way in hell can I bring all this up to the doc. I have spoken to a military therepist a few times and have only giving him a small look into what I am dealing with but not the full picture. I stoped the sessions when I became afraid of what might happen to my career if I went fully into what I was feeling and what I wanted to do with my life.

My other big problem is that I tend to like the bubbly (or Brew......Or JD). I don't really want to make light of this but, not really thinking that I am an alcoholic, I know that it is affecting my health and am unsure of the affects of drinking while deciding to take hormones.

My dosages have been somewhat consistant over the past 3 months with a few days of forgetting or being unable to take my doses. I have been using Oestrogel / 17Boestadiol, two aplications a day of .75mg oestradiol, one to two doses a day of 100mg spiro, and just started over the past 10 days taking Provera tablets, 1 a day of 5mg each for 10 days in the month (just finished my 10th this month). The only current effects I have noticed have been my skin feeling smoother, my sex drive has decreased and amazingly enough and well welcomed, my moods have been much calmer and I have felt happier over the past couple months and less depressed than I have in years. I tend to think that might be because I have made a decision to do this as this is what I have wanted for a long time, but I do see a serious change in my mood in a positive way. Seeing my sex drive decrease is somewhat positive too in that I use to constantly think about sex and want to get it on. Well, I feel a bit under control of my drive, which actually I feel good about.

I am quite aware of the warnings against unsupervised use, but have stubbornly made up my own mind because I truely have know that this is what I've wanted throuought most of my life (as I said around age 12). I know that there are many out there like me who are staying hidden. I really just wanted to get this alll off my chest and I truely welcome any advise from sisters that are much wiser than me. I am thinking that I need to stop and wait for a better moment when I can seek medical help. It's such a diffucult situation.

I just don't want to wait anylonger. I just want to be free from hidding. I just want to be Me.
    • 67 posts
    July 18, 2006 10:21 PM BST
    That was a very interesting read to say the least. Kind of makes me stop and think about what my plans in life are going to be. Like you, I want to be able to make that ultimate decision one day but I want to do it right. Lucy said a lot of great things in her reply to you. And the biggest thing I agree with her is that hormones and alcohol don't mix! She's right hon. If you're serious about this, there's tons of professional help available to you. I don't know where to start looking but I'm sure some of the girls here would be able to help. I wish you the best of luck Erica!

Stacy
  • August 15, 2006 5:35 PM BST
    Hi again Ladies. It has been a bit since I wrote, but I hope you read this thread so you can know That I really appreciate your comments. Thank you sooo much for any support. Right know I am still maintaining the Hormone use. It is really hard for me to be consistant with the doses because I just get busy and often forget or I am at work and have to rub on some estrogen because I am using the gel and I can't find the free time to get away and let it dry up before putting my shirt back on. That is kinda a down side of the gel. Pills would definitelly be easier. I have also made some good strides in breaking away from the alcohole consumption and even lowered my tobacco use to less than 10 cigs a day. I can do better but there is a bit of addiction involved know that I am actually making the efforts and realizing, But I do feel a great need to be as healthy as possible.

I tend to ramble on soo much, that's why I really hate even writing most of the time. So......gotta......force ....self to......stop!

Thanks so much again and again. I hope all is well both of you Lucy and Stacy. Take care.

Erica
    • 588 posts
    August 15, 2006 9:54 PM BST
    I can confirm that there may be some serious side effect on the brain. When i talked to the endocrinologist at our GID clinic earlier this year it seemed to be his greatest general worry, apart from any family history of DVT. In some cases, he said, the hormones can induce personality changes.

It's important to be aware also that with an estrogen only regime a low dose may feel OK in the beginning. But over time it will tend to drive down the testo level. The endocrinologist said so to me. And then it seems logical that there will be this chance of entering a volatile state when the "hormone mirror" turns.

I don't know how this works in other countries, but at our clinic they prescribe anti-androgens for a period at first. I guess the emotional effects can be better controlled that way.

With access to that excellent clinic Frances is mentioning there is of course no better way of transitioning. I guess it would mean coming out at the work place, but that must happen at some point anyway.
    • 588 posts
    August 16, 2006 9:41 AM BST
    Personally I don’t think it’s a good idea to prescribe an anti-androgen without replacing the lost testo with oestrogen; the body needs one or the other to function properly.
    That is exactly what i said to that endocrinologist too. He did not protest. So, they gave me no prescription for antiandrogens. The chief GID psychiatrist even said: "Well, you already have a prescription for estrogens." As if the antiandrogens was of no value ?!?!? Still, i'm just trying to make some sense out of the common nonsense some experts have been feeding me.

So, i am still on an estrogen only regime myself, apart from the fact that i have been trying out a synthetic progestin for three weeks now. No sign of a depression or any (new) mood swings yet, but i'll be watching out of course. And perhaps i can, eventually, make some expert prescribe me micronized progesterone instead.
    • 1 posts
    September 3, 2006 5:55 PM BST
    Hi dear girlfriend.

I am a girl who was unfortunately born with the wrong sex.
    I am now trying to do something about it. Maybe we can share experiences.
    Love
    Janet
    • 1652 posts
    July 18, 2006 1:23 AM BST
    Hello Erica.
    I am quite aware of the warnings against unsupervised use
    That’s good, though I would be quite surprised although somewhat relieved if you weren’t about to get more such warnings in this thread…
    Your situation dictates it. I know how that feels.
    I believe a hormone regime should be tailor-made for the individual, no-one knows what will work for them until they try it. That said, it sounds like you’ve started well; 17-B estradiol is a wise choice, and probably the safest of all forms of oestrogen when applied in gel form. 2 applications per day is also a good starting dose. After a few months you might be able to increase this, see how you feel, or you could add an oral version of 17-B like Estrofem, perhaps a further 2 mg per day, if you think you need it.
    one to two doses a day of 100mg spiro
    I’d go easy on this stuff, 100mg should be fine, keep it regular. I took Spiro for a year, 100mg for about 8months, then increased to 200mg. I think 100 was enough. My dosage of estradiol eventually became sufficient to block testosterone adequately, so I stopped the Spiro, and do feel better for it. My blood tests show a low testo level now without the use of any anti-androgen, in fact well within the average female range. If you must take Spiro, watch your diet. Find out which foods are rich in potassium (bananas for example) and avoid them. Spiro retains potassium in the body, too much potassium causes hyperkalemia, hyperkalemia can be fatal. Since your body doesn’t lose potassium when on Spiro, you mustn’t add it to your diet! Very important that. Be careful with this stuff.
    I approve of 17-B estradiol because it is bio-identical (though I’m not claiming it will be fine for everyone), Provera however is not bio-identical, it is medroxyprogesterone acetate, and to be honest I’ve never read anything good about it. If you wish to add Progesterone to your regime maybe you should look for micronised progesterone – Prometrium, Microgest, Utrogestan (all the same). Personally, I take 100mg of this for 10 days per month. Some people take it all the time, I tried that, it did funny things to my skin, made it dry, tough, wrinkly, leathery. Just a few days a month though seems to work wonders for my normally oily skin. From what I can gather, that just makes me weird; lots of people find progesterone makes their skin MORE oily. Like some others, I notice a slight swelling of the breasts during this time of the month, so I feel that can’t be a bad thing. My breasts are still small, but I’m happy with the development and shape, they look natural. I think progesterone aids a more rounded development, though as you probably know, this subject is much debated.
    Like I say, you have to find out what works for you.
    I just don't want to wait any longer. I just want to be free from hiding. I just want to be Me.
    They were my feelings too, and the reason I began self-medicating.
    Get some blood work done, soon as you can, not just hormone levels, but liver function, prolactin, blood pressure, that sort of thing, if only for peace of mind. Do all the research you can, and do think about somehow getting medical assistance, sometime.
    Most importantly, if you’re serious about hormones, then you must be serious about transitioning, make a plan, don’t just think, “one day…”
    You need to come to terms with coming out to all your family and friends, and how you will deal with your career. Starting hormones means all these things can’t stay on the backburner for much longer. Hormones means changes, in oh so many ways.
    Oh and, you MUST watch what you drink, really. I know how that is too. It’s hard, but you have got to really cut down on that. Seriously. Alcohol and hormones – bad mix.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    August 16, 2006 12:46 AM BST
    Hi Erica, glad to hear you’re doing ok. Pills may be easier, but Oestrogel is possibly the safest way of taking oestrogen, so perhaps it’s best to stick with the least risky option until you are able to get some medical supervision and/or blood tests. If you are able to get to the Free University of Amsterdam for an appointment then I agree with Francis that this would be a good idea.
    Frances, I’m a bit baffled why you questioned the existence of 17-Beta oestradiol in my blog when you have taken Estrace yourself. You said, and I quote, “Lucy, it is not surprising that 17 beta oestradiol, is not available on the NHS OR ANYWHERE else for that matter. It is the naturally produced oestrogen by the ovaries of premenopausal females.”
    Which it is of course, but it’s also contained in Estrace, as you rightly point out in your post above. I know “HRT” 17-Beta is of plant derivative but as it’s identical to the human form it has the same name. So I’m baffled why you would be surprised that it is not available anywhere else.
    You also said that you would stick to estradiol valerate because that works for you, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. I have said many times on these forums that everyone needs to find what works for them. Some people get on with a certain type of oestrogen while others might not, even the experts can’t tell you that you are going to have problems with a certain drug until you try it, so a certain amount of experimentation is often necessary. But please don’t get me wrong, I’m not advising anyone to self-medicate without any intention of ever seeking professional help.
    I’m a bit baffled by the logic of Sabina’s endocrinologist too. An estrogen only regime IS likely to “drive down the testo level”, but then so is taking an anti-androgen, perhaps even more abruptly, so I don’t see how that can help alleviate any emotional effects caused by low testo. However it is “controlled”, lower testo levels are an intrinsic part of any feminisation programme. Personally I don’t think it’s a good idea to prescribe an anti-androgen without replacing the lost testo with oestrogen; the body needs one or the other to function properly. But that’s just my opinion. Perhaps the experts dealing with Sabina know better than me.
    Sabina though seems to have more common sense than her endo, when she says, “I guess it would mean coming out at the work place, but that must happen at some point anyway.” It’s something you can’t put aside forever, Erica, if you are indeed planning full transition. You’re either going to have to come out at work, or quit, or stop taking female hormones before someone notices. It’s something perhaps you should be thinking about sooner rather than later.
    As for the mental effects of cross-gender hormone therapy, I would just like to say that I haven’t experienced any negative effects as yet. I feel emotionally balanced better than I ever did, mentally stronger and happier. I have read that micronised progesterone can help one’s emotional well-being (while some synthetics are renowned for causing depression or mood swings), maybe that helps me, or maybe I’m just weird.
    xx
    Oh and, you don't ramble on Erica, that's my job!
    • 1652 posts
    August 16, 2006 12:53 PM BST
    Good on you Sabina. Self-medicating may be risky, but so would allowing someone to prescribe for you if you had no knowledge yourself of what you are taking and why, thereby relinquishing all responsibility. My GP earned my respect when he said, “We’re not experts here…”, and neither do I claim to be. Recently he was authorised by the gender clinic to give me a prescription but freely admitted that he had no idea really what sort of dosage would be appropriate, so it’s a good job I had done some research. He seems to have more common sense than the self-proclaimed experts at Charing Cross though. They suggested Zoladex (anti-androgen) injections, because that’s just what they do. My testosterone levels are very low (thanks to oestrogen alone) so in my case this would indeed be of no value, worse in fact, it would be an unnecessary risk.
    I’d rather put my trust in a non-expert with common sense than an expert who does things by rote.
    As for micronised progesterone versus synthetic progestins:
    http://www.project-aware.[...]s.shtml
    And:
    Theres a world of difference between natural progesterone and synthetic progesterone, the type most frequently prescribed by orthodox physicians. Provera, the most frequently prescribed synthetic progesterone is not really progesterone at all it is a progestin. Progestins are synthetic progesterone-like compounds that are manufactured by pharmaceutical companies. These synthetic progesterones are far more powerful than the bodys own natural progesterone and are metabolized as foreign substances into toxic by-products. These synthetic progesterones can gravely interfere with the bodys own natural progesterone, thus creating other hormone-related health problems and further exacerbating estrogen dominance. Side effects of synthetic progesterone include increased risk of cancer, abnormal menstrual flow, nausea, depression, masculinizing effects, and fluid retention.
    Taken from:
    http://intelegen.com/nutr[...]rt2.htm
    Plenty more where those came from!.
    xx