I Still Have a Job :)

• August 6, 2006 1:39 AM BST
    Well, I came out to my boss, and I still have a job.

I've been with the company for close to 20 years and now manage one of the stores (which I'm told will not change unless I request), so I've had a pretty good idea that they'd be supportive. When the rest of the people in the company find out, I think the only thing that will really surprise many of them is that I'm actually going through with it. Although I know that there will be at least a couple who will have a hard time with it. We'll see.

There's a potential down-side, though. The business caters to many of the same blue-collar people (regulars), many of whom have known me for the <20 years, so the greatest potential for objections and conflict will be among customers. My rapport with most is pretty good, so I'm optimistic, but I know there will be rocky points.

It will be a few months before I start to transition at work, mainly because it will take me some time becoming comfortable living as female outside work to be able to pass enough at work. It will also mean that the transition will take place during slow season (less strain on the company, which was my decision), and I will have been on hormones for longer, by then.

I just thought I'd put this out there, because I know that coming out at work can be a scary prospect. I was actually surprised at how supportive my boss was (he seemed fairly familiar with the subject already), but being that it's a multinational business with a cautious legal department and fairly progressive policies, I suspected that at the very least, they wouldn't to appear discriminatory in any way.

So, good news.
    • 374 posts
    August 6, 2006 10:03 AM BST
    Good for you Mercedes! Sounds like you're working for the right company I wish you all the best as you continue your journey.

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
  • August 7, 2006 9:20 PM BST
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. I'll probably have more info this fall, when it's time to come out to the rest of the staff and the regular customers. I do have a preparatory letter written already that I feel confident with (although thank you Hanna for offering yours as a model), and will post the text of it, if there's interest.

and even people that, alone, may have little problem with your condition, may be influenced by the collective mindsets reactions.

This is very true. Context (a.k.a. "peer pressure") has a large effect on the way people react. Over the nearly 20 years in my business, I've known 3 female-to-male transpeople (it's one of the few unregulated trades that are accessible to people who are making a break with their past), and in one instance, witnessed one's employer's reaction to the news of what he was planning to do. He started raving like a madman, until he realized that the reaction of myself and a co-worker was that of "So? What does this hurt?" It took a moment for him to wind down, but it defused his protests and made him think better of it.
    • 23 posts
    March 17, 2007 5:43 PM GMT
    hi girls after 25 years in my job i have finaly told them that i am a tranny my line manager was doing my apprasal and asked about a course i was doing and i took the plunge and told him, now to see what effect it has on work as i have seen my doctor about my ts leanings and he seems to be trying to hold me back and i can not aford to go private i will have to start geting pushy.
    paula
    • 2627 posts
    August 6, 2006 2:08 AM BST
    Thats wonderfull news!!

Sounds like your off to a good start & have thought this through. Good luck!!
    • 1980 posts
    August 6, 2006 12:58 PM BST
    Hi, Mercedes-

Thank you so much for the positive and encouraging news about how things are going for you at work. It's great to hear about someone whose workplace is tolerant and accepting, it's encouraging news for all of us who are considering it ourselves.

You go, girl! And please keep us up to date with how things go, if you don't mind, that is.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2463 posts
    August 6, 2006 2:10 PM BST
    Mercedes, that is good news to get after just waking up on a Sunday morning. I hope this good luck continues for you.

Mere
    • 2017 posts
    August 7, 2006 3:03 PM BST
    All the best to you Mercedes, I can't imagine anything harder than coming out at work and remaining there. Scary. I hope everything continues to go well for you.
  • August 7, 2006 4:02 PM BST
    This is what I sent to my colleagues at work (about 250 of them) when I changed my name.
    It is translated from Swedish to English and keep in mind that I had been on hormones for nearly 6 months and was already full time when I sent this out.

Hi!

With this email I would like to inform you all that my name change has now been legally aproved and as of this monday my name is now Hanna.
    I know many of you asked me before what you should call me but I have not been able to tell you until I got the legal bits sorted out.

This should as no suprise but as of today it is official that I have changed my name.

Since this doesn't just affect me but in fact everyone in my surrounding, I'd like to adress one or two practical issues by writing a little FAQ...

1. How do I adress you?
    Hanna is good, that is my name from this day on.
    Pronouns can be harder but "she" is of course the way I'd like to be adressed. Most of you already adress me as "she" so I hope it will not be too hard... "Hey you!" will of course continue to work as a replacement for Hanna! )

2. I am going to make mistakes...
    It's not that strange that you will make mistakes and I will not get upset just because someone uses my "old" name or the wrong pronoun. You will probably not get it right from day one and I don't expect you to.

3. How does this affect our relationship?
    I hope that it will not be affected at all. I hope that we can continue to have the professional relationship that we have always had. After all, I am still the same person.

4. What do I tell <someone> if they ask me about you?
    Tell them the way it is or send them to me. I'd gladly answer questions regarding myself, causes and effects but I will leave that out of this email.

5. Yikes, this is hard, I don't know how to handle all this...
    I know that this can be hard to understand and all but I don't really mind answering "stupid questions" (since there are no such questions) and I don't mind discussing this with you. I have a fair amount of self distance so don't worry that I am going to feel hurt by any questions that you may have.

Best Regards,
    Hanna R

PS. This was sent out some time ago now and it doesn't at all reflect my situation today but perhaps it can inspire someone if they plan on sending out something similar.
  • August 7, 2006 9:34 PM BST
    Hi Trisha,

I forgot to say that I showed the email to my manager first to get her aproval before sending it out.
    I work in a fairly conservative environment as a project manager and I try to keep my personal feelings and problems out of the office.
    I got some really positive responses by email and one guy at the office gave me a flower wishing me a happy namesday. One guy that I occasionaly shoot rubberbands at told me that "our relationship was hardly professional to begin with", wich was fun!
    Some 10-15 people also told me that that they thought the email was really good and that they had shown it to their wives and family who liked it (some of the humour in the email get lost in translation unfortunately).
    I haven't got a single negative reaction from anyone but then again they had known me for me since the very beginning.

Since then I have actually kissed one of my colleagues at a company party which was pretty fun... and it was the talk of the office for weeks, haha.