change of pct - does this cause problems

• 19 posts
    November 24, 2006 5:14 PM GMT
    Well, I am going to take the plunge and change doctors and pct from Lancaster to Nantwich (Cheshire). I have spoken to the doctors surgery and they say that Cheshire is fine with funding and that they have 4 ts' on their books. However, I have heard that changing pct can mean starting all over again with appointments etc - I just couldnt take that (its bad enough waiting for my second CX appointment) - so please please, can somebody let me know if this is true
    Thanks huns
    • 112 posts
    November 25, 2006 9:18 AM GMT
    Hia Shytina,
    I had this conversation with my gp about moving area not so long ago, and his recomendation was that its easier for the mental health guys to maintain a consistant picture of your progress during transition, if you stay put.
    The physical side is not as much of a problem, as physical medical records provide a less subjective piccie so that endos et al can pick up where the previous doctor left off.
    However it also relates in some small way finishing a job someone else started.
    Some pct's see this as possibly problematic, even if only because it's a possible opening for errors on either side..

The process of "starting all over" is also easier, I would have thought due to the computer based records system which is available to the new gp with your case immediately accessable as soon as you arrive.
    As usual, its a bit of a mixed bag with the nhs, who consider long term cases like ours best dealt with by consistant contac with the same consultants.
    He said to me that either I transition and stay or move and start there at the new place. He said that at the stage I was at, starting to transition and then moving would , perhaps be not a good idea, I think however this somewhat relates to the stage one is at as to the strength of this argument.
    I think also. possibly , that the amount one restarts the process depends on the communication between the new pct and the old one, this has improved over the years well, but some pct's are more on the case than others.
    Moving to a more equiped pct may well be a good thing however, as they would possibly, if they had too, be more pro-active in comunicating with old pct who may be more inexperienced in the subject.

i would have thought that if you are at the point of or are dealing with CX then they ought to pick up where the old pct left off quite easily. Go ask I guess.
    Hope this is useful,
    love and light

• 1652 posts
    November 25, 2006 11:41 AM GMT
    I think if you’ve had one appointment with CX there should be no problem. The new PCT are not likely to demand that you get referrals from your new GP and local psychiatrist and have your first CX appointment all over again, because that would just be throwing money away. A bit like going down a year at school too!
    Just inform CX who and where your new GP is and, as I understand it, they will send reports and funding requests to him. As you are probably aware, Lancashire PCT were successfully sued a few years ago for “delaying” funding for TS treatment; as a result most PCT’s now realise they can’t f*** people about like that!
    Hope you have a stress-free move.
    xx