When does the joke end and abuse start?

• 448 posts
    March 3, 2007 12:05 AM GMT
    This occurred a few days ago but because I tend to internalise these things I am still thinking about it now. I went out for a drink with, I shall not call them friends, colleagues is a more accurate expression. Amongst them was one specific person who from the very begginning of the evening seemed hell bent on making hay at my expense. The usual jokes came thick and fast; don't turn your back on him, get her! Ooh she's off to powder her face. You know the kind of thing. Amongst all this were certain more abusive comments I don't care to repeat. Anyway after a few hours of this I stormed out. What really hurt wasn't so much what he said but that everyone was laughing along with him. I even heard someone remark " does he really do that." I don't know what he was referring to but I was pretty paranoid by this point and the laughter seemed just deafening to me. I feel bad about storming out now, I played into his hands and I'm sure they had even more fun at my expense after I left. I can only imagine what they said. Should I be expected to put up with this or am I being over-sensitive.
    • 448 posts
    March 3, 2007 12:44 AM GMT
    Thanks Catherine, it's not nice being a figure of fun and I won't be wasting my time on any of them ever again x
    • 448 posts
    March 3, 2007 7:57 AM GMT
    I don't think I'd start a fight, I'm too aware of the outcome in advance, it's a lovely thought though. But you are right Karen, it does hurt which is why it preys on your mind. And you're quite right to Keli, I should have walked out right away, I've been thinking that ever since. It would have been more dignified. But that's the problem - when does the joke end? I know it's up to me to defend myself but I was so disappointed no one intervened on my behalf. I've been thinking since what his agenda was because the abuse was deliberate and sustained. What is he hiding? There is a quotation that goes " A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." I'm thinking about it too much and I shouldn't. Thanks girls x
    • 448 posts
    March 3, 2007 7:38 PM GMT
    Thanks Danique, that's very sweet. I think your size 13 would be far more effective than my size 6. Thanks to Wendy, for the advice. I won't ever walk away from who I am, for better or worse. I just wish someone had stood up for me and by doing so all of us, as you did. I appreciate everyone's kindness. I do have friends out there. I must remember that, I must remember that . . .
    • 448 posts
    March 3, 2007 9:50 PM GMT
    Next time Wendy, if there is a next time. Thanks P x
    • 448 posts
    March 5, 2007 9:03 AM GMT
    Thanks Anna, you are right in what you say. The jokes on them but it doesn't always feel like it at the time. It's just sad how people disappoint so much but then I speak to the girls here and realise that's not always the case. What would I do without TW. Love P x
    • 448 posts
    March 6, 2007 12:34 AM GMT
    You're right of course, he did have an audience and sadly a willing one. And thanks Meredith, it's nice to know I can still do cute. You were the first girl to contact me on TW something never to be forgotten, take care, Love Porscha x
  • March 3, 2007 12:24 AM GMT
    Porscha, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. You're not being over-sensitive.

It sounds as though your colleagues know or suspect that you are TG. If they were worth anything, they'd support you. They clearly haven't done that. You can't do much about their attitude, but you can choose not to spend your free time with them. Life is too short to beat yourself up.
    • 2627 posts
    March 3, 2007 1:02 AM GMT
    I'm sorry that you had to put up with that to.
    Your a much nicer person than I am. I'd have started a fight.
    I was picked on so much as a kid that I will not let it happen anymore.
    I hope your able to keep away from them. That type of stuff can hurt very deeply.
    Stay strong hun, all of them together aren't half the person you are.
    • 2573 posts
    March 3, 2007 4:40 PM GMT
    Porscha,

The obvious truth is that you are a far better person than any of them are.

You make me proud of the time my friends and acquaintances were laughing about someone we knew who was TS. Someone they used to socialize with regularly. I blew up and was the only person there to speak out against the behavior. It stopped and then some agreed with me while the rest sat silent. One father told his young daughter why her laughter was inappropriate. Nobody suggested that I had a motive for my position on the subject. Had I not done so, I would have difficulty facing all my friends here for denying you. What I'm proud of is doing it without thinking.

I like the person I'm becoming. You did not act in a way that detracts from your being proud of the person you are becoming. Violence is the last refuge of the intellectually inferior. It's how they win an argument that they can't win with their mind and heart. I once rated my worth by the fights I faced. Recently I have begun to rate my worth by the ones I have walked away from. When I began to fight in my youth, I was walking away from this life in which I am far happier and a far better person. I won't do that again. Don't you do it either. <hugs>
    • 2068 posts
    March 3, 2007 9:55 PM GMT
    Poscha, i'm so sorry to hear this cos its something you don't deserve at ALL!!. It sounds to me like these peeps are total jerks for behaving in such a way.....scared of something they know nothing about. It won't be easy, but best thing you can do is rise above it cos you're a MUCH better person than any of them. You're not bein over-sensitive at all trust me, cos i had similar probs to you & what helped me was the fact that when these peeps had a laugh at me, i laughed along with them.

Above all, this is somethin you should NOT have to accept at all. Just hang in there & have faith hun sure things will sort themselves out.

LOL xxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 2463 posts
    March 6, 2007 12:19 AM GMT
    I've been there before as well - having to deal with someone who thinks he's a comedian, and at my expense. Once they get their audience they are relentless. You did the right thing by leaving.

By the way, your piccie looks cute.
    • 2358 posts
    October 9, 2020 8:40 AM BST

Suprising what one finds going back,  post must have been before my time.    A good knowledge of the conditions relating to gender dysphoria, arguing logically to make the point.   Saying that, some people are such bigots and so ignorant and have such low self esteem they have to ridicule other people to make themselves feel important and the centre of attention.   Me I probably would have threatened to shove a tube of super glue up his bum to shut him up.  

But remember when people are talking behind your back or getting in your face seeking attention,
    then your life is obviously more interesting and worthwhile than theirs.