A Primer (Hi Marmar! *kisses*)

• April 27, 2007 7:34 AM BST
    Hello everyone,

First of all, I've heard lovely things about this place and I'm glad to be here and anxious to get to know some of you. OK, now onto the intro anecdote...

I'm here because a few weeks ago, I let me girlfriend know that thoughts of 'dressing up' were present in my mind. I had told her previously that I HAD dressed up in the past, that I liked makeup, girly clothes, etc. but I told her (and figured at the time) that such things were behind me. Most of you know that these things almost never just go away.

Well, since I have one of the most understanding, caring, magnificent women ever to grace a man's arm, I got a reaction that I didn't quite expect: she said that she still loved me and that she would stick by me while I sorted through whatever it was that was bothering me. Well, that's not the amazing part, the amazing part is that she got online and read all she could for a couple of weeks and even found this handy site to get a better idea of my mindset from people who'd had similar experiences.

She sent me a Myspace message a couple of days ago telling me about Trannyweb and suggesting I join. I was a little hesitant for quite a few reasons, none of which I'll go into right now, but I eventually came around after seeing how much this community supported her.

I don't have much else to say at the moment, but you can probably tell that I'll talk if given a subject, so if you want to know more, ask. I'm a more-or-less open book

Oh yeah, can't forget this....my girlfriend is Marmar Devine. Because I didn't feel like categorizing myself when I logged in, I didn't put 'male transvestite/crossdresser' so I think I'm forever labeled as a 'None of the Above' on this site. But that's cool, I'm happy with that! Just letting you all know where I'm coming from (or at least giving you a clue).

Nite Nite all (even those in 'morning' at this time). Hope to hear from some of you soon!
    • 100 posts
    April 27, 2007 8:27 AM BST
    Hi Dawn. Just wanted to say hello and welcome. Having met (the wonderful) Marmar in chat, and through her posts, I'm so glad you have decided to join us here. I'm sure that you will find so much of interest and hopefully help at TW, as i have. Just the knowledge of not being alone is such a comfort. I wish you (both) well for the future.

Tinaxxx
    • 374 posts
    April 27, 2007 10:30 AM BST
    Hi Dawn, and welcome to Trannyweb! Even though I've only chatted with her briefly, I have to say from chatting and reading her posts here, Marmar is most definately one of the most understanding, caring and magnificent women I've had the pleasure to meet. You are so lucky to have someone like Marmar at your side. Hope that everything works out for you both. Hope to chat with you and Marmar soon.

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
  • April 27, 2007 10:34 AM BST
    Hi Dawn, you should join the chatroom sometime! I have spoken to Marmar before in there and she is lovely. Don't worry everyone is friendly here and there are such a vast range of lifestyles that without a doubt there will be someone here that you will be able to share your thoughts with and come to an understanding of what you want to do

I hope that you find the courage to confront your fears and do what makes you feel happy, see you around.

Pet
    • 773 posts
    April 27, 2007 12:32 PM BST
    Dawn, what can I say but to echo the sentiments of everyone else who has posted. Marmar is wonderful, and you are very lucky, indeed. Welcome to Trannyweb. I imagine it will take you some time to get around and see all there is to see here, but I'm sure you'll soon discover that you've found a home among kind and caring friends. We look forward to seeing you in chat.

(By the way, cool name!)
  • April 27, 2007 4:39 PM BST
    That goose: He (Dawn) said, "I sent you a message online, you should check them when we get back to the house" so I got online and opened up another website where we have webpages and...no new messages...? He smiled at me coyly and said, "another website!" and so no we're on Trannyweb together!

Welcome Dawn!

I hadn't even thought of asking you to join until other members suggested it...I was being selfish huh! I found this website and wanted to keep it for myself! They're so nice - as you can see from their forum posts ~ just wait til you join the chat room! anywho - I'm glad we can do this together though...It makes me smiley

And by the way...thank you Dawn, and thank you everyone else who's said all those sweet things about me - what nice compliments to hear! *happy tear*

Have a great Weekend everyone!

and I'll see you tonight Dawn!! MWAH!

****** <---Dawn, I think all he needs now is a moustache...or a tissue LOL!!!****
    • 773 posts
    April 27, 2007 5:57 PM BST
    I think the time has come, Marmar, for you to adjust your use of pronouns.
  • April 27, 2007 6:39 PM BST
    I actually prefer 'he' to 'she' at this time. In the past, I would have liked to be refered to as she, but truth be told, I want to be identified as a male. I really don't mind anyone referring to me as 'she' (I won't get offended...my name is Dawn, after all), but since there's a striking LACK of an appropriate genderless pronoun (I don't want to be called 'it') in the English language, I'll settle for 'he'. It best expresses my current feelings about myself. My journey has been a lengthy one already and I feel like I can experience all aspects of myself ('male', 'female', all others and 'none of the above') in a central hub of 'me' that can be referred to as 'he' or 'him'. Until that genderless pronoun comes into widespread use, that is.
    • 773 posts
    April 27, 2007 7:28 PM BST
    How about "they?"
  • April 27, 2007 8:52 PM BST
    Thanks -

We've talked about it and for now, and he/him works for us! I did some research about what others on the internet are doing about genderless pronouns and some I found were :

~zie/zir
    ~E, em, eir, Emself
    ~thon (that-one)
    ~one/they (made singular form of they)

Some of these are just silly i think...zie??? yeah.

By far, the most common gender-inclusive consious have agreed on one thing: "So how can the singular "they" become a respectable alternative? By using it, and announcing its use. People currently use the singular "they" all the time, but either with a sense of shame or unknowingly. However, the singular "they" can become an acceptable term if people begin to use it proudly and with authority." The auther has also mentioned that the singular they is a 'common mistake' and is not an accepted pronoun in the english language. ("The Singular They" by Urdine)

Anyways - I understand what you're getting at, commenting on my use of pronouns...thanks for pointing it out. Dawn and I spent several minutes talking about it last night and came to the conclusion that I would still use he/him until further notice.

~Mar
  • April 28, 2007 12:02 AM BST
    Yeah, I'd heard of some of those, but the fact that there are multiple iterations of what people would like to use is evidence that there's not going to be a standard any time soon. Even if one is 'accepted' it won't be comfortable to say for some time. I actually like zie and zir (was that Kate Bornstein that came up with that one?). It's very similar to a genderless pronoun I came up with for a paper one time. After the fact, my teacher informed me about zie and zir...anyway...

In response to Robyn, I'd rather not be a 'they'. Makes me feel that I'm schizophrenic or that there's some creepy guy with Count Orlock face behind me. Plus, as Mar pointed out, it's not really correct grammar.
    • 773 posts
    April 28, 2007 4:22 AM BST
    I understand what you mean about "they," Dawn, and far be it from me to endorse improper grammar, but then, I am schizophrenic, and so am I.

Say, how about the royal "we" for the first person? That might be kind of fun for a while.
  • April 29, 2007 5:34 AM BST
    We could live with that
    • 2017 posts
    April 27, 2007 10:28 AM BST
    Hi Dawn, I think I said everything in the other thread that Marmar started so I won't repeat myself except to say welcome and that you have a wonderful GF there who obviously cares about you a great deal. Forget the labels that society pins on people and just be yourself here. I for one look forward to meeting you in chat.

Nikki
  • April 27, 2007 12:52 PM BST
    Hi Dawn, Welcome to TW and i hope you find what your looking for. i am sure you will make lots of freinds here and get lots of help as i have. Marmar is a wonderful woman who obviously loves you very much, best wishes to you both.
    Paula x
    • 1652 posts
    April 27, 2007 12:59 PM BST
    Hi Dawn, oh yes, love the name!
    I’m sure you’ve done the right thing by joining this site. My true self was a secret I had kept to myself for nearly 40 years, and by coming here and talking to and meeting others it helped me to face up to the realities and really get to where I wanted to be, find my place in the world. Being here has helped to release me from the feelings of guilt that I’m sure we all experience at some time, and realise that there is nothing wrong with being born this way; it can’t be helped, it’s just who I am.
    Marmar is an intelligent and caring soul and you are lucky to have such an understanding partner. Be completely open with her about however you feel, it’s the only way.
    As far as labels go, “None of the above” is as good as any!
    Welcome to the site, and all the best to you both.
    xx
    • 2463 posts
    April 28, 2007 12:33 AM BST
    Welcome Dawn. I have come to know Marmar very well, and I know you will like it here.

All new people are required to have the coffee made in the morning.

I would like to write more except I have dinner in the oven. See you around.

Mere
    • 2573 posts
    April 28, 2007 3:48 AM BST
    Dawn,

Knew it was Marmar without you telling us :-D We already know and love her. She is far from the only gg on TW.

Most TGs identify as male, even when dressed. Always be yourself. Don't let "us" or "them" pressure you to be something other than what you feel.

I'm pleased you came here. You won't regret it. I know it will let you change your life to one you are comfortable with. The rest is up to you.
    • 1980 posts
    April 29, 2007 4:23 PM BST
    Hi Dawn-

Sorry to be so tardy in extending my personal welcome to TW, so here it is. Welcome, Dawn, I hope you like it here and decide to stay, it seems you have a great deal to contribute. One of the nicest things about TW is you can be yourself, whether it's your male self or your female self or a meld of both. Either way you are most certainly welcome. And as others have said, you have an awesome name, I just love it.

Hugs and good wishes...Joni Marie