Labor Regulations

• 539 posts
    February 25, 2003 1:51 AM GMT
    This subject has been touched on in other threads.

The way I see it, the "capitalist" way is to have essentially no labor regulations, allowing companies to hire and fire at will, paying wages as low as the market will bear.  The "communist" way is for the government to take over and pay everyone the same, no matter what they do, and make sure that everyone has a job and no one can get fired.

I believe a balance between these two extremes is necessary.  If we have no rights as workers, then the freedom we supposedly enjoy in our society is a false promise.  If those who pay us have absolute power over us, then we are not free.  Perhaps a few people who are in professions which are in great demand would do well, but many would not.  Just look at 19th-Century America as an example.  Employers must be held to a minimum wage which is enough to live on, and which is indexed to inflation.  Discrimination against people for any reasons unrelated to the work must be prohibited.  If we have to hide or ignore our religion, sexual orientation, transgendered status, or anything else like that just to find work, then we are not free.  Reasonable work hours, vacation time, and sick time must be mandated by law.  Overtime rules must apply to all workers, including educated professionals.  But employers must not be restricted from firing those who do not perform well.  They may not have the right to discriminate against people for stupid reasons, but they have every right to discriminate against those who cannot or will not perform on the job.  Individuals who seriously or repeatedly violate employment laws must be held criminally liable, with jail time as a result - that would be a good deterrent.

While one may argue for the rights of employers to employ only the people they want, regardless of the reasons, I believe that the preservation of a free society is a greater goal.  The reality of the present day is that most of us depend on employment for our living.  If employers are allowed complete freedom, then naturally the freedoms of most of us - the employees - will be compromised and we will not be living in a free society.  Persecuted minorities, such as trannies, should be especially conscious of this.

Heather H.