safari 3 (beta)

• 338 posts
    October 14, 2007 6:01 PM BST
    a sentiment i can well agree with.

MSIE 6 & 7 have about 80% of the browser market so stuff gets designed for them... plus its not viable to rewrite old stuff, but new code should work.

I don't use the email in here, but I've seen similar issues elsewhere on the net.

sigh.
    • 338 posts
    June 12, 2007 4:24 PM BST
    apple have released a new version of the safari web browser.. the mac version seem to work well with trannyweb as well, even working with the chat room.

apparently there a few issues with the windows version, but expect to see more of it.. its due to be bundled with itunes when the full version comes out.

but it works here and thats the most important thing.

• 338 posts
    June 13, 2007 11:07 AM BST
    the drop down menus work fine with safari 3, and probably as a result with the KDE 'konqueror' browser on which it is based, they look ok, don't take up huge amounts of space and they even work...

MSIE continues to be something of a moving target, with Microsofts continuing efforts to keep the goalposts moving to try and stop the march of firefox. for new stuff its easier to design for the w3 standards (even XHTML if you feel into that sort of thing), then add the odd work around for MSIE (which is apparently getting better, I jumped ship and no longer care...), for older stuff like all the current tweb pages its not going to be viable to do a rewrite.

theres nothing too fancy on tweb that breaks in firefox or safari (even older versions) so its less of a problem than it used to be anyway.

in effect the only two browsers that matter is MSIE (sigh) and the googlebot... which doesn't care about menus so the link list at the bottom of the page works very well.

p.s. this is not a plug for safari, hence the lack of a link to where to get it...
    • 338 posts
    October 16, 2007 10:12 PM BST
    firefox

ad block plus
    filterset G
    noscript
    flashblock

the net is sooooo much faster

i don't have too many problems either

I gave up on netscape the day they started to add stuff by AOL into the installer.. um no.

the roll over menus are something I never see, due to flashblock, but sites that do this using CSS work and work very well.

there is no need at all to use flash or java or even javascript to do roll over menus, pure style sheets can be used for this and they work in every modern browser, even MSIE makes a half decent attempt.

mind you the good trend is for people to try and actively block firefox due to ad blockers.. yeah whatever, its like the morons who try and disable the right mouse button to 'stop people stealing pictures' when of course the left button still does just that.. sigh
    • 338 posts
    October 21, 2007 3:56 PM BST
    looks kind of..

well exactly like firefox 2 to be honest

I did hear that FF3 is meant to be mac native so it may be faster but such is life.

still it did work, not keeping it though, not just yet.
    • 2127 posts
    June 12, 2007 9:39 PM BST
    Hooray! It's impossible to comply to the varying standard of every browser out there and so we just continue to design for the most popular by far which is still Internet Explorer, in order to keep as many people as possible happy.

I know that some peeps have Macs and some peeps just don't like M*cr*s*ft but we have to go with the flow. If other browsers do not comply with the standards that the field leader uses then there's nothing we can do.

Glad to hear that Safari works okay though. I wonder if it now has support for the Flash transparency feature which does cause problems for some people using Trannyweb with some non-IE browsers?

Huggies,

Katie x